upgrading notebook cd/dvd drive

marvin_GS

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Hi, I want to upgrade cd/dvd drive of a notebook. I am pretty familiar with desktops but new to notebooks. What should I know? Is there strict standarts for notebook drives? The notebook I consider to upgrade is a LG LM50 and I want to upgrade its current drive with a panasonic slot drive (I dont remember model number right now). Well, thanks in advance for replies.

marvin_GS from istanbul

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Drives are more or less different for every make and model. The safest thing to do is go with what ever the manufacturer recomends as an upgrade.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Drives are more or less different for every make and model. The safest thing to do is go with what ever the manufacturer recomends as an upgrade.

CD drives in notebooks are standard - it all depends on the casing (plastic bits) that the manufacturer has decided to wrap the drive in. If the drive you want is a "slim" drive, it will almost undoubtedly work, but you'd have to remove the casing from the original drive, and put it onto the new one. The connector is standard among all, but as with the casing, different manufacturers use different adaptors.

But it is always the safest bet to go with the manufacturer's recommendations - but hardly ever really necessary.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?