Network Newbie - Help in setting up

Where do I start, with the computers or the Router?

Have recently purchased two laptops with wi-fi cards and the Netgear
WGR614. Both laptops are running Win XP Home. Prior to this purchase I
was using a Win98 system with RCN as my cable Internet provider, no
router. I have eliminated the Win 98 system and need instructions as
to setting up the RCN cable with the two wireless laptops. The laptops
are not even setup for Internet access. Although I can dial into AOL
I do not know where to begin. Networking is new to me and I need
simplified instructions for dummies. Hopefully there are EASY
instructions as to how to set these two laptops up with the Netgear
wireless router. Sure hope someone can help...........
3 answers Last reply
More about network newbie setting

    Assuming you have a cable (or DSL) connection, the wireless router makes
    your connection to the Internet. I recommend that you place (at least) one
    of the computers near your router and connect them by Cat 5 cable
    (notwithstanding the wireless capability).
    See the router's manual for its address and then open IE (on the wired
    computer) and configure your router.
    Then, once you're on the Internet, (assuming you have the XP service pack 2
    installed on both machines) run the new Wireless Network Setup Wizard
    (likely the last item in your control panel).
    Piece of cake!!

    enjoy

    "ylonestar" <ylonestar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Where do I start, with the computers or the Router?
    >
    > Have recently purchased two laptops with wi-fi cards and the Netgear
    > WGR614. Both laptops are running Win XP Home. Prior to this purchase I
    > was using a Win98 system with RCN as my cable Internet provider, no
    > router. I have eliminated the Win 98 system and need instructions as
    > to setting up the RCN cable with the two wireless laptops. The laptops
    > are not even setup for Internet access. Although I can dial into AOL
    > I do not know where to begin. Networking is new to me and I need
    > simplified instructions for dummies. Hopefully there are EASY
    > instructions as to how to set these two laptops up with the Netgear
    > wireless router. Sure hope someone can help...........

    Alan thanks for your response.

    Can you tell me if I have to always have one of the laptops connected
    to the modem and router via cable or is this just for the initial
    setup?

    Can just the modem and router be connected to the cable in one room
    and have the two laptops in a different area of the house?

    TIA

    "Alan White" <alanwhite@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Nmr2d.13343$lb5.1074752@news20.bellglobal.com>...
    > Assuming you have a cable (or DSL) connection, the wireless router makes
    > your connection to the Internet. I recommend that you place (at least) one
    > of the computers near your router and connect them by Cat 5 cable
    > (notwithstanding the wireless capability).
    > See the router's manual for its address and then open IE (on the wired
    > computer) and configure your router.
    > Then, once you're on the Internet, (assuming you have the XP service pack 2
    > installed on both machines) run the new Wireless Network Setup Wizard
    > (likely the last item in your control panel).
    > Piece of cake!!
    >
    > enjoy
    >

    > "ylonestar" <ylonestar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Where do I start, with the computers or the Router?
    > >
    > > Have recently purchased two laptops with wi-fi cards and the Netgear
    > > WGR614. Both laptops are running Win XP Home. Prior to this purchase I
    > > was using a Win98 system with RCN as my cable Internet provider, no
    > > router. I have eliminated the Win 98 system and need instructions as
    > > to setting up the RCN cable with the two wireless laptops. The laptops
    > > are not even setup for Internet access. Although I can dial into AOL
    > > I do not know where to begin. Networking is new to me and I need
    > > simplified instructions for dummies. Hopefully there are EASY
    > > instructions as to how to set these two laptops up with the Netgear
    > > wireless router. Sure hope someone can help...........

    Just for the initial setup.
    You could have the router and modem in a room separate from either laptop.
    (although many prefer to keep one wired - some don't realize you can be both
    wired and wireless at the same time with different computers)
    Don't do any firmware updates to the router while in a wireless mode.
    Hope you're up and running OK now.

    > Alan thanks for your response.
    >
    > Can you tell me if I have to always have one of the laptops connected
    > to the modem and router via cable or is this just for the initial
    > setup?
    >
    > Can just the modem and router be connected to the cable in one room
    > and have the two laptops in a different area of the house?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > "Alan White" <alanwhite@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Assuming you have a cable (or DSL) connection, the wireless router makes
    >> your connection to the Internet. I recommend that you place (at least)
    >> one
    >> of the computers near your router and connect them by Cat 5 cable
    >> (notwithstanding the wireless capability).
    >> See the router's manual for its address and then open IE (on the wired
    >> computer) and configure your router.
    >> Then, once you're on the Internet, (assuming you have the XP service
    >> pack 2
    >> installed on both machines) run the new Wireless Network Setup Wizard
    >> (likely the last item in your control panel).
    >> Piece of cake!!
    >>
    >> enjoy
    >>

    >> "ylonestar" <ylonestar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > Where do I start, with the computers or the Router?
    >> >
    >> > Have recently purchased two laptops with wi-fi cards and the Netgear
    >> > WGR614. Both laptops are running Win XP Home. Prior to this purchase I
    >> > was using a Win98 system with RCN as my cable Internet provider, no
    >> > router. I have eliminated the Win 98 system and need instructions as
    >> > to setting up the RCN cable with the two wireless laptops. The laptops
    >> > are not even setup for Internet access. Although I can dial into AOL
    >> > I do not know where to begin. Networking is new to me and I need
    >> > simplified instructions for dummies. Hopefully there are EASY
    >> > instructions as to how to set these two laptops up with the Netgear
    >> > wireless router. Sure hope someone can help...........

Laptops Internet Wireless Networking