Network Newbie - Help in setting up

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
September 16, 2004 9:31:29 PM

Where do I start, with the computers or the Router?

Have recently purchased two laptops with wi-fi cards and the Netgear
WGR614. Both laptops are running Win XP Home. Prior to this purchase I
was using a Win98 system with RCN as my cable Internet provider, no
router. I have eliminated the Win 98 system and need instructions as
to setting up the RCN cable with the two wireless laptops. The laptops
are not even setup for Internet access. Although I can dial into AOL
I do not know where to begin. Networking is new to me and I need
simplified instructions for dummies. Hopefully there are EASY
instructions as to how to set these two laptops up with the Netgear
wireless router. Sure hope someone can help...........

More about : network newbie setting

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 17, 2004 1:47:25 AM

Assuming you have a cable (or DSL) connection, the wireless router makes
your connection to the Internet. I recommend that you place (at least) one
of the computers near your router and connect them by Cat 5 cable
(notwithstanding the wireless capability).
See the router's manual for its address and then open IE (on the wired
computer) and configure your router.
Then, once you're on the Internet, (assuming you have the XP service pack 2
installed on both machines) run the new Wireless Network Setup Wizard
(likely the last item in your control panel).
Piece of cake!!

enjoy

"ylonestar" <ylonestar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Where do I start, with the computers or the Router?
>
> Have recently purchased two laptops with wi-fi cards and the Netgear
> WGR614. Both laptops are running Win XP Home. Prior to this purchase I
> was using a Win98 system with RCN as my cable Internet provider, no
> router. I have eliminated the Win 98 system and need instructions as
> to setting up the RCN cable with the two wireless laptops. The laptops
> are not even setup for Internet access. Although I can dial into AOL
> I do not know where to begin. Networking is new to me and I need
> simplified instructions for dummies. Hopefully there are EASY
> instructions as to how to set these two laptops up with the Netgear
> wireless router. Sure hope someone can help...........
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 17, 2004 3:23:31 PM

Alan thanks for your response.

Can you tell me if I have to always have one of the laptops connected
to the modem and router via cable or is this just for the initial
setup?

Can just the modem and router be connected to the cable in one room
and have the two laptops in a different area of the house?

TIA

"Alan White" <alanwhite@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Nmr2d.13343$lb5.1074752@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> Assuming you have a cable (or DSL) connection, the wireless router makes
> your connection to the Internet. I recommend that you place (at least) one
> of the computers near your router and connect them by Cat 5 cable
> (notwithstanding the wireless capability).
> See the router's manual for its address and then open IE (on the wired
> computer) and configure your router.
> Then, once you're on the Internet, (assuming you have the XP service pack 2
> installed on both machines) run the new Wireless Network Setup Wizard
> (likely the last item in your control panel).
> Piece of cake!!
>
> enjoy
>

> "ylonestar" <ylonestar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Where do I start, with the computers or the Router?
> >
> > Have recently purchased two laptops with wi-fi cards and the Netgear
> > WGR614. Both laptops are running Win XP Home. Prior to this purchase I
> > was using a Win98 system with RCN as my cable Internet provider, no
> > router. I have eliminated the Win 98 system and need instructions as
> > to setting up the RCN cable with the two wireless laptops. The laptops
> > are not even setup for Internet access. Although I can dial into AOL
> > I do not know where to begin. Networking is new to me and I need
> > simplified instructions for dummies. Hopefully there are EASY
> > instructions as to how to set these two laptops up with the Netgear
> > wireless router. Sure hope someone can help...........
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 17, 2004 8:23:10 PM

Just for the initial setup.
You could have the router and modem in a room separate from either laptop.
(although many prefer to keep one wired - some don't realize you can be both
wired and wireless at the same time with different computers)
Don't do any firmware updates to the router while in a wireless mode.
Hope you're up and running OK now.

!