Sign in with
Your question

Modern Warfare 2 Boycott.

Last response: in Video Games
November 9, 2009 8:27:16 PM

Basically Activision/IW decided to drop the bomb on PC gamers.
Here's the list of missing featuers:

-Price of $59.99 for a near PC featureless game.
-No dedicated servers. Will use a "best host" type of connection. Those of you who are not familiar with this, expect a lot of room failures, as well as some lag.
- No Punkbuster. Activison: Like Aimbots, hacks, glitches? IW: Use them, we can't tell anyways.
- Console options removed. A lot of advanced modifications can be done with Console system. Those of you who use it know it's value, those who don't don't.
- Forced Steamwork's. Reason why Direct2Drive banned it from it's sales list. Your game must run off a 3rd party software, Steamwork. You cannot play the game, update, or do anything without first using steamworks. This means no
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Direct2Drive-Bans-Modern...
-NO possible SDK without producing a "No steam" patch which will be near impossible to create since the game it self will use Steamworks for literally everything from installing, running, updating, and connecting online. (no console system worsens this)
- 9 vs 9 limit. Host gains unfair advantage, since he's the host.
- No way to record matches via Client. You will have to use Fraps or a video recording method to capture the match, then upload it to youtube or any other video hosting site.
- Leaning is unavailable (or the way you hide behind a wall press a button and have your character move his upper body at an angle, exposing less body to take shots). Sure it isnt that big of a deal but hey.

Features to be sure on Modern Warfare 2 PC, anything else is optional( including the bullets). <- just a joke.
McCandlish: "mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings."

Sign here if your boycotting Modern Warfare 2. (Updated: 11/10/09)

Signed users:
AsAnAtheist
MGDJoker
cappster
annisman
ITSANSS
gamerk316
purplerat
zacharybaisley

More about : modern warfare boycott

November 9, 2009 9:19:25 PM

No dedicated servers works fine on the console version (PS3) and hardly ever drops connection.

Punkbuster.... so you want a game so you can use cheats ? thats kinda pathetic if you intend buying a game why would you want to cheat / glitch ?
m
l
November 9, 2009 9:43:10 PM

im still getting. im pretty pissed they shat on us.. they try to make pc gmaing like game consoles...
m
l
Related resources
November 9, 2009 10:33:33 PM

ulysses35 said:
No dedicated servers works fine on the console version (PS3) and hardly ever drops connection.

Punkbuster.... so you want a game so you can use cheats ? thats kinda pathetic if you intend buying a game why would you want to cheat / glitch ?

-Ps3 has a lot of complaints on the Online for games simply because it uses a best host approach. The Xbox 360 instead does offer dedicated servers for almost every game, producing better lagless games. don't turn this into a console war, both consoles are good. ps3 ftw.

@Punkbuster issue
Not what I mean. I want a game WITH punkbuster.

- No Punkbuster. Activison: Like Aimbots, hacks, glitches? IW: Use them, we can't tell anyways.

I was using sarcastic parody to say what No Punkbuster means.
Activison/Infinity ward are releasing the game (activision is releasing, IW is developing)

thangbipbomz, let us know how it is.
m
l
November 9, 2009 10:38:30 PM

yes. ill tell you how well it goes. but i have a question. lol no one answered me on this website. will i be able to play it at 12 o clock today? i preordered over steam. can i play the single player today? and aply mulltiplayer on the 13th?
m
l
November 10, 2009 1:44:51 AM

I am not buying that game. Spit in my face IW I'll spit in yours!!!
m
l
November 10, 2009 2:10:50 AM

MGDJoker said:
I am not buying that game. Spit in my face IW I'll spit in yours!!!

Basically!

@ thangbigbomz, I am not sure when it will be unlocked. Could be midnight, could be tomorrow at some random time.

Best way is to try installing it and playing at midnight. Steam will let you know.

The same day the game is unlocked will be the same day you play online. This means on the 10th of Nov. What time remains unknown.
m
l
November 10, 2009 2:26:15 AM

I am not buying the game either. Too many other good games out there for me to play rather than bother with that over priced garbage.
m
l
November 10, 2009 2:56:52 AM

can anyone give me some suggestions for games besides MODW2? I want to play new PC games,. Thanks
m
l
November 10, 2009 4:19:24 AM

I will also not buy this game, also I am suggesting to anybody who will listen to not buy it, or at least not the dumbed down PC version.

Count me as signed up - Annisman
m
l
November 10, 2009 6:30:06 AM

May I ask a question bit it is a bit of this subject? Thus feel free to ignore it but if you answer, it will be very much appreciated.
so, I use steam for my games and I'm a huge fan of team fortress 2. So big that I even managed to get some friend into the game... but the problem is that those friends have Xbox 360 and they purchased the TF2 for Xbox... I would like to play with them but apparently I can not find them?

Any idea if PC version can play with Xbox version? I guess it has to do with servers but I don't know (yet) much on this thing. any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks and sorry for the out of topic...
m
l
November 10, 2009 7:10:16 AM

I am buying it.5$ is not too much.
m
l
November 10, 2009 7:31:44 AM

alexj022 said:

It's $59.99.

Pshh...if it was $5 then yes I would probably buy a copy for like 4 other people out of sheer joy.
m
l
November 10, 2009 7:36:25 AM

Stupido said:
May I ask a question bit it is a bit of this subject? Thus feel free to ignore it but if you answer, it will be very much appreciated.
so, I use steam for my games and I'm a huge fan of team fortress 2. So big that I even managed to get some friend into the game... but the problem is that those friends have Xbox 360 and they purchased the TF2 for Xbox... I would like to play with them but apparently I can not find them?

Any idea if PC version can play with Xbox version? I guess it has to do with servers but I don't know (yet) much on this thing. any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks and sorry for the out of topic...

alexj022 said:

No Xbox servers/PC servers are different, and are NOT allowed for cross platform gameplay.

Simple answer: You cannot play with them from a PC, if they're playing on a Xbox 360.
m
l
November 10, 2009 9:03:55 AM

Baaaa, baaaa, baaaa, mommy IW are bullies, they took away my toys, baaaa, baaaa

Seriously, to all those of you who somehow feel a ridiculous sense of entitlement, grow up, get a life, get over it.

And with all the negative press you have been generating (however transparent your adolescent rants have been) it is not IW that owe you anything. You now owe IW for the potential loss of revenues on one of the most expensively developed (and best reviewed) games of all time.

Just had to get that off my chest. Ahhhhhh...
m
l
November 10, 2009 10:59:26 AM

I'm not buying it. Would love to, but they took the cool stuff that makes PC gaming WAY better than console, completely away.
m
l
November 10, 2009 11:04:03 AM

MrSiko said:

Seriously, to all those of you who somehow feel a ridiculous sense of entitlement, grow up, get a life, get over it.

And with all the negative press you have been generating (however transparent your adolescent rants have been) it is not IW that owe you anything. You now owe IW for the potential loss of revenues on one of the most expensively developed (and best reviewed) games of all time.

They owe all PC games an award for Call of Duty 1 and 2's success.
m
l
November 10, 2009 11:22:14 AM

Please, IW made this choice, so they have to deal with the consequences. The loss of console + having to go through Steam makes modding all but impossible now, and multiplayer mods are now dead.

As for people who say "multiplayer on PS3 is fine", I've never seen a console game without major instances of lag, and frankly, a 200 ping, while OK for console games, is unsuitable for internet competition. This is worsened for large clans with members thoughout the US who no longer have the ability to stratigicly place their servers.

Oh, and if IW loses revenue, doesn't that prove us right?
m
l
November 10, 2009 12:46:09 PM

Sad to say this but I hardly see a point in buying this for the PC. I had almost no intent of buying it right away any ways but now with everything I've read about this game I would probably end up buying it for the 360 if I ever buy it.

For one it will actually be cheap since I could probably get a pre-owned 360 for cheaper than the PC version - that's sad enough on it's own.

Without mods or dedicated servers I would expect the 360 online experience to be better if for no other reason than everything else will be equal but at least I know more RL friends playing 360. Mods/dedicated servers are a pretty big part of what creates the community of online PC games so with that gone all we have are random people or RL friends.

The only reason to stick with the PC on this title is the whole 'FPS feeling better on a PC' thing which is very true but there are also a lot of other FPSs out there. MW2 would have to have one hell of a single player to justify bothering with it on the PC.

Oh well, one thing I hope will come out of this is that some other developer will see this gap IW just left in the PC gaming market and jump all over it.
m
l
November 10, 2009 1:22:06 PM

I agree with Rat, give your money to Codemasters and grab Operation Flashpoint 2 or some other company who hasn't cheaped out and ported directly from the console. And really, adding "mouse support" doesn't make it any less of a port, it just makes IW sound like they are grasping...
m
l
November 10, 2009 1:27:22 PM

AsAnAtheist said:
No Xbox servers/PC servers are different, and are NOT allowed for cross platform gameplay.

Simple answer: You cannot play with them from a PC, if they're playing on a Xbox 360.

Thanks for the replay...

That is really a pity... :cry: 
m
l
November 10, 2009 1:39:00 PM

Getting it off the bay right now
m
l
Anonymous
November 10, 2009 1:56:44 PM

MGDJoker said:
Getting it off the bay right now

derrrrr!!!!!!! enjoy your crap of purchase, sell-out!!! derrrrrr!!!!

MGDJoker said:
I'm a total moron and I like little boys

well no crap, moron!
m
l
November 10, 2009 2:01:57 PM

Quote:
derrrrr!!!!!!! enjoy your crap of purchase, sell-out!!! derrrrrr!!!!

well no crap, moron!

I don't believe he is buying the game off of the bay...rather downloading it off of the bay
m
l
November 10, 2009 2:11:36 PM

I think the piracy angle for this game will be interesting. COD4 was pirated like crazy and the mantra of pirates is often "make better games that I'm willing to pay for". But my suspicion is that MW2 isn't going to be a really hotly pirated game because of it's flaws. Unless the crackers figure out a way to put in dedicated servers (which is not out of the realm of possibilities and would be awesome I must admit) why would people who pirate games want to bother with this any more than people who pay for them?

People who pirate games tend to be a bit more savvy and somewhat more classifiable as "hardcore" gamers so all the issues with this game would seem to be major drawbacks from playing it at all. Like I said it will be an interesting angle to see unfold.
m
l
November 10, 2009 3:12:49 PM

MrSiko said:

You need help. We do feel a sense of entitlement. Call of duty 1 and Call of duty 2 were junk before PC gamer's hailed them hits. Same thing with Halo, PC gamers made it famous NOT consoles. Poor console people, they barely know what a game is.
The few of the greatest games/series I do attribute to the consoles: Metal Gear Solid, GTA, Super Mario (Super mario kart), Final Fantasy series (all of them, idc what you say they all rock), Resident Evil (minus RE5 FAILZ), Contra
Basically most hit games other then the listed (which happen to be mostly exclusive titles) originated from PC gamers. Because let's face it PC gamers tend to be a bit more hard core or serious about gaming after they shell out a thousand dollars for their gaming rigs, and an additional few hundred on addition peripherals/games. I have probably spent over $1,800-$2,000 the past two years on games/gaming equipment (2008-2009). Around $700+ on Xbox 360/games. The rest was PC gaming.

You don't see me roasting people for no reason do you? If I don't like a thread I move on, something you obviously can't do.

I owe IW no loss of revenues, they begun to remove features which all PC game developers add creating a below average product. Below average products sell like a below average product. All I am doing is asking who will not be buying the game, and informing people of the featuers IW/Activision removed so they can make an informed decision.

Expensively developed does not attribute to it's game's mechanics. It just means they spent a lot of money. Look at GTA IV, probably one of the most anticipated games before, not to mention the most of expensive of it's time @ 100 million dollars. The anticipation didn't last when people played it, because guess what? It sucked. Any true GTA fan would have discarded their disc for future burying, I actually decided to ignore it. Dang that cousin, if it wasnt for him I might have liked the game a little better to play it once in a month. "hey niko how about we go play pool, even though we just went out for the past 2 weeks and your getting shot right now. Careful your about to hit that old lady!" GAhh!

Best reviewed? For the Xbox 360 or PS3 you mean? Sorry mate any reviewer wouldn't dare say good things about Modern Warfare 2 for the PC. They will say it's a great single player game but won't recommend it as an online FPS. No dedicated servers was a deal killer, now no console, no SDK (steamwors/console removed), forced steamworks...
m
l
November 10, 2009 3:47:54 PM

MrSiko said:

That's possibly one of the dumbest post I've ever read. OK, maybe not quite up there but at least one of the most hypocritical.

I agree that a lot of time gamers get whiny and express a ridiculous sense of entitlement (like when games are delayed or demos aren't released). But it's hardly a sense of entitlement to say you aren't going to buy a game because it's lacking what you want in a game.

What really makes your post ridiculous is (what I hope was somewhat tongue in cheek) the statement about owing IW for lost revenue due to expressing negative opinions. Even if you were joking it is a sad fact that many game companies feel a sense of entitlement when it comes to their products. They think that just because they released a good title in the past or spent a lot of money on a new development that they deserve for their game to be a success based on that alone and not on the merits of the game.

This particular game has been hyped as much as any game ever and if it fails to meet expectations it deserves to be ripped apart.
m
l
November 10, 2009 3:55:53 PM

Or you can just stop whining and go play another game. Just sayin'.
Boycott it all you want, it's still going to sell tons, and your complaints will not matter.
m
l
November 10, 2009 4:38:24 PM

Complaints certainly do matter. I was always on the fence with this game. I'm not a huge COD/MW fan so I wasn't going to pre-order or buy at release anyways. My decision to buy is directly impacted by people complaining. Sure it will still sell a ton, but complaints like this are going to turn secondary consumers like myself off and have a long term impact on the brand. It happens all the time to game IPs.

*Edit*
There's also the possibility that IW will listen to these complaints and address them. It wouldn't be the first time that happened either - where a company actually listened to those complaining and made the game better for everybody.
m
l
November 10, 2009 6:01:36 PM

Meh, the changes mean very little to me personally as I've never been much a fan of 'large' online MP games. I'll play L4D as the four person dynamic works well for me. In my 'older' age I don't have the time nor patience to dedicate myself to a game where a basic level of skill is necessary to gain any enjoyment out of a large MP game. Getting killed five seconds after I spawn or being kicked out of a server for being a 'NoOb' is not my idea of fun. I can't wait to play the game later today when I get home and play some 2 player Spec Ops w/my buddy. To each his own though. :) 
m
l
November 10, 2009 6:15:39 PM

Ok Ive heard very negative reviews so far, but at school my friends got the game already and they say that the single player campaign alone is worth the $60+tax. I dont understand. Should I buy the game or not. Im very confused right now. They also told me that the president dies in the story. The current president of the US. How incredible is that!!!!!! I really want to find out if that is true. Has anyone bought it yet for PC. If so would you give me a review. Thanks
m
l
November 10, 2009 7:59:56 PM

importuner said:
Ok Ive heard very negative reviews so far, but at school my friends got the game already and they say that the single player campaign alone is worth the $60+tax. I dont understand. Should I buy the game or not. Im very confused right now. They also told me that the president dies in the story. The current president of the US. How incredible is that!!!!!! I really want to find out if that is true. Has anyone bought it yet for PC. If so would you give me a review. Thanks

FYI, try not to make an identical post in one thread when you already started another with the same post.
m
l
November 10, 2009 8:59:52 PM

hah sorry my bad. Thanks for your post on the other thread PURPLERAT. ;-)
m
l
November 11, 2009 2:10:43 PM

Yep im passing on this game for all the reasons the OP put, not even worth pirating otherwise activision will just blame piracy for its losses, They need to remember the PC gamers too. Nevermind, Left4Dead2 in a few days and Battlefield BC2 in a few months. Gotta say tho, the single player version looks good.....
m
l
November 11, 2009 2:33:57 PM

if they were going to dumb down the game for us PC gamers. why not enable keyboard and mouse control on the console, that way, us PC gamers can just bitch slap all the console users, if they would have the game support KB/M on the consoles, then Id go buy a 360 version and play with people I know.. and just plain pwn them... then ill hear them crying out.."your using a mouse and keyboard.. thats not fair!".. woops.. im sorry.. cry to IW while your on your way out...
m
l
November 11, 2009 2:37:56 PM

importuner said:
can anyone give me some suggestions for games besides MODW2? I want to play new PC games,. Thanks

Dragon Age Origins is great!.. replayability is fantastic... no MP tho.. but its the best SP RPG ive seen in a very long time. BIOWARE FTW!
m
l
November 11, 2009 3:11:35 PM

Captainhero said:
Yep im passing on this game for all the reasons the OP put, not even worth pirating otherwise activision will just blame piracy for its losses, They need to remember the PC gamers too. Nevermind, Left4Dead2 in a few days and Battlefield BC2 in a few months. Gotta say tho, the single player version looks good.....

Single player might be great and make it a decent game but the $60 for a PC game still rubs me the wrong way. Especially if it's basically just a SP game (even a great one). Charging the same as the console versions gives the impression that the game offers something "special" or a little extra - certainly not less. Not that I'm confused but I could see where $60 for a PC game could confuse some people since that is usually the SE/CE edition price.

I'm usually not one to complain about pricing but something about this just irritates me. To be completely honest if everything else was the same with MW2 but they were charging a 'normal' PC price I'd probably just blow this whole thing off. But to cut PC staples out of this type of game and then charge a premium price just seems like a giant F-U to all PC gamers. I'm almost cynical enough to think this is some sort of backhanded response to the piracy they saw for COD4.
m
l
November 11, 2009 3:36:53 PM

You can play with a keyboard and mouse on PS3 and 360, look for something like Max Shooter 2. If the MP is good on the 360 I might buy it, see if you do improve a lot with the keyboard and mouse. Perhaps buy this Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit too. Sorry no links, a bit busy, but google is your friend, before they take over the world, -ish, and become like MS.
m
l
November 11, 2009 3:42:45 PM

i have the max shooter and its not very responsive, no matter how many times i tweak it, is like a .5 sec delay when moving.. it just doesnt feel natural. and sometimes when i move the mouse to fast.. it just makes my aim go crazy and pretty much makes me dead where i stand.
although.. its alot better then using the jpad, but fustrating never the less...
m
l
November 11, 2009 3:42:51 PM

thezig said:
if they were going to dumb down the game for us PC gamers. why not enable keyboard and mouse control on the console, that way, us PC gamers can just bitch slap all the console users, if they would have the game support KB/M on the consoles, then Id go buy a 360 version and play with people I know.. and just plain pwn them... then ill hear them crying out.."your using a mouse and keyboard.. thats not fair!".. woops.. im sorry.. cry to IW while your on your way out...

I few early PS3 games let you do this; people complained that suddenly they got owned though...
m
l
November 11, 2009 3:44:43 PM

yes.. i recall unreal tornement for the ps3 supported kb/m but that game sucked on all platforms... lol
m
l
November 11, 2009 8:37:25 PM

I got a copy for the PS3 and had a blast last night.... It was not glitchy, laggy, nada.... I was going to purchase the PC version till we all got the bad news.... Oh well, if AV and IW don't offer something worth buying then why bother?
m
l
November 11, 2009 9:23:53 PM

Just one suggestion I would make in regards to any boycott or whatnot of this game is that if you decide to buy a console version buy pre-owned. At least that way they are still losing money on you not buying it for the PC. That's most likely what I will do if I decide to get this on the 360.
m
l
November 11, 2009 10:35:57 PM

I ditch my Xbox 360 for the PC version of MW2 but very disappointed because it'll just be the same with the PC version LoL..
m
l
November 12, 2009 2:33:49 AM

I like the PC version better because you can ramp up the graphics. and Honestly the game just came out, IM sure that some patch will arrive pretty soon. Gosh the only thing that pisses me off is that i dont have $60 right now, otherwise I would go buy it. But then again around december and January i feel like its going to loose its price down to $40 so i dont want to feel bad for waisting $20. The game is great I love it even though I haven't played it on my rig yet. Hope I don't get dissapointed when I run it.
m
l
November 12, 2009 2:52:24 AM

I'm boycotting it until there's a 50-75% off sale on Steam, then I might consider it. I'll stick to CoD4 for multiplayer, or some other game, since I'm not a big CoD MP player anyway.
m
l
November 12, 2009 11:26:36 AM

Well, it looks like the standard competition leagues are going to skip over this one, which will cause a significant impact on sales long term.

I'm already watching sales numbers. I'll post later this week about how the PC version in particular is selling (noting steam purchases are not included).
m
l
November 12, 2009 1:27:04 PM

Well it looks like AV is not loosing that many sales, I went to 3 Game-Stop's and 2 Wallmarts and they were sold-out till next week..... It's ironic how I saw many copies for the PS3 and 360 but none for the PC....
m
l
November 12, 2009 2:20:18 PM

OvrClkr said:
Well it looks like AV is not loosing that many sales, I went to 3 Game-Stop's and 2 Wallmarts and they were sold-out till next week..... It's ironic how I saw many copies for the PS3 and 360 but none for the PC....

That's because they carry a much smaller stock of PC games if they even carry them at all. It's hit or miss on almost any PC title whether you'll find it or not in those stores.
m
l
November 12, 2009 2:31:31 PM

Best buy in my town had about 80 copies of PC.
m
l
!