setting homepage

A friend has windows xp professional and is having problems setting up a home
page. He has tried going to control panel and it seems that it just will not
take it. Any ideas on why this would happen?

Malke

RPM wrote:

> A friend has windows xp professional and is having problems setting up
> a home page. He has tried going to control panel and it seems that it
> just will not take it. Any ideas on why this would happen?

You don't give enough information to get a specific answer. Go here for
help in crafting a good newsgroup post:

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

In the meantime, have your friend go through these general malware
removal steps systematically, doing everything with updated programs
and tools in Safe Mode:

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Some of the anti spyware programs allow you to lock the home page from
changes while using Internet Explorer. SpyBot Search and Destroy is but one
of these. This helps prevent home page hijacking.

I.E. must be closed down. Then you can go to Control Panel | Internet
Connections | Internet Options and type in the home page address that you
want to use. Or, while you are using I.E. highlight and copy the information
in the address bar. Then past this information in the appropriate area in
Control Panel | Internet Connections | Internet Options.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

RPM wrote:
> A friend has windows xp professional and is having problems setting
> up a home page. He has tried going to control panel and it seems that
> it just will not take it. Any ideas on why this would happen?

How to Compose a Good Newsgroup Post
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

How to Act Smart on Usenet

Getting Your Post Noticed - and Answered
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp

How Not to Get Help in Newsgroups

Otherwise, you might as well try here:

Psychic Friends Network
(800) 592-7827

iris

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004

How to Act Smart on Usenet
IFC

RPM Wrote:
> A friend has windows xp professional and is having problems setting up a
> home
> page. He has tried going to control panel and it seems that it just
> will not
> take it. Any ideas on why this would happen?

Sounds like your browser has been hijacked. I'd a search for spyware
and download 'Hijack this', and read the approriate instructions.

Does the homepage automatically reset itself to a 'search engine' type
page?

-Matt

--
matt_fleming

Alternatively, you could place it in the GPO.
That way, no one (spyware/malware/user) could change this accidentally... or
purposely... Anyway... Here are the steps...

Start -> Run. Type in "GPedit.msc" Enter.
Expand User Configuration, Windows Settings, Internet Explorer Maintenance,
URLs.
Double click Important URLs.
Select "Customize Home page URL" and enter the URL you want to open
everytime you launch IE.
CLick Ok and close everything.

GO to Run Prompt and type in "gpupdate /foce". Open IE and the new URL is
now your home page.
Either run gpupdate /force, or simple reboot your machine...

Cheers,
Dennis Chung