ulysses35

Distinguished
I dont have many games that require STEAM, but It does annoy me that we have to put up with the STEAM software running when wee want to play games.

Empire Total War is a great game spoiled by the steam software and damn adverts....

Anyone else agree ?

Steam works. You go through their client, but other then that, theres no interfearence. The fact it remembers the key for that game is quite useful too...

The only downside is the time to download a game compared to a normal install.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I don't really see what the problem is. With the exception of when you first turn it on there are no pop ups or bothersome activity.

One thing I will throw out there is that I've often heard a lot of bitching about EAs Download Manager digital service and never understood why either. Maybe there have been particular issues with individual games but in all my experiences it's less intrusive than Steam but lacks a lot of the benefits. I like the fact that I can download games from there and then copy the install files directly off the drive and install on any other PC even without the EA software installed. Maybe it's just a lot of anti-EA sentiment.

chillwolf

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
I like Steam enough that I buy the good majority of my games through them. If you do not like the software don't use it, they are not forcing you to buy your games through them go to Best Buy and get your games there, or D2D, or Amazon, or any of the other vendors.

As far as the download vs install speed it is a wash for me. 30 minutes to drive to best buy, 15 minutes in the store, 30 minutes to drive home, 15 to install. Versus a download and install on a 10mb connection that I just let download and walk away. Plus I save gas and they often preload new games a few days before release basically making it an install disk minus all the driving. There is also no shipping or handling, I don't have to worry about install disks or game keys getting lost.

Steam is convenient without being overly obtrusive, pretty decent service if you ask me.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

It's a give and take. Personally I'd rather have a Steam check rather than having to mess with CDs all the time. Knowing that an app is running but isn't impacting performance is a lot less of a drawback to me than having to hear a drive rev up just to check that the disc is there. To me I'll go with the one that has less actual impact on me.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Yeah, can't blame you there. I guess I remember trying the Empire Total War demo, and it seemed like it took forever to load. And it required steam of course. May or may not have been the fault of steam, and my system is not high end granted, but I usually don't have too much trouble running games, even MW Total War 2.

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I love using steam. I check everyday to see if they have game deals such as half off the entire half life series or TF2 for 2.50. Not to mention any other deals from other software developers that pop up just about every weekend. I usually get a steady 700-750k download speed. It doesn't take very long to download and start playing.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
+1 for steam

great way to keep your games library in the cloud - new pc? reinstall steam, login and reinstall any games you choose.

different offer every weekend

i got the whole of half-life 1 series for £5.99

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
The Total War demo did seem like a pain in the ass for whatever reason, so I can see how that would leave a bad taste in your mouth as far as Steam goes.

But the deals are awesome. It might be the best part of Steam. It annoys me when I hear people complain about Steam charger the same as retail for new releases as if the packaging is a major part of the price. It's hard to beat the deals Steam offers for PC gaming in other any single place. With retail shelf space shrinking for PC games you'll never find the deals Steam offers in stores and I can't imagine buying hard copy online and having to wait for it to ship (the last game I did that for was Starcraft when I pre-ordered it).

Confused Stu

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
I'm not too bothered by Steam one way or the other. However, given the other option is usually putting the DVD in the drive when you want to play the game, Steam definitely is the less hassle option.

The only dowsides I can see with Steam:
- Sometimes the game is cheaper in retail stores = Then buy it in store and use the serial key to activate it on Steam.
- I don't like to be forced to install something = me neither. Shame. Live with it.
- It's something running in the background = If your PC slows down because Steam is running in the background, I'd suggest your PC is too borderline to play the game and needs an upgrade! :)

But like I said, I'll take Steam every day over finding the DVD!

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Yes the whole "make the steam version the same price as stores or we won''t stock it" problem does annoy people.

The answer to that is to stop buying games in retail stores. The reason stores get away with that is because they still have the leverage to do so. And really I don't see anything wrong with them doing exactly that. The best thing to do about it is to take away their leverage.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Steam is a decent service, although at the moment I prefer Stardock's Impulse. The reason for that is mainly price: for the games that they provide in Europe or world wide the Impulse pricing is a lot better than Steam.

The online game providers are being hijacked by publishers that still want to apply regional price differences for downloadable games, and all that just because of retail leverage.

In contrast with the previous poster I think using that leverage is bad because price competition between the different outlets is inhibited. So at this time purplerat thinks customers can take away that leverage by buying online instead of through retail while there is no immediate price benefit to it, whereas the pricepoint is the most important competitive aspect. Doesn't make sense. Government agencies should step in and declare this strategy to be obstructing free market competition.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

International may be a different story, but I don't see a problem with Steam selling games for the same price as retail stores or game companies determining how much their product should sell for. I think a lot of people just make assumptions about what is going on with the pricing of these games -both in retail stores and online. I see a lot of accusations assumptions but nobody ever provides any real evidence or analysis of how or why these games are priced the way they. That's something I'd be really interested in seeing.

You say that "Government agencies should step in", but what exactly are you suggesting they step into? It only makes sense that game retailers not want to sell a product they know they will be undercut on, that game publishers not want to allow pricing which cannibalizes their own sales and that digital distributors want to charge full market value for the products they are selling. Who's getting hurt in that scheme and needs protection? Not the consumer because we are still paying the same price, but have more and better options.