Sign in with
Your question

Crash on boot up in Win2k on dual PIII system

Last response: in Motherboards
August 22, 2003 11:23:38 AM

We have an MSI-6362 based system with dual 1Ghz PIII's running win2k SP3 which is crashing on boot up from a cold start. You can eventually boot if you boot in safe mode then restart. The machine also has a tendency to crash when working.

This started happening after reinstalling win2k with the HAL set to MPS Multiprocessor and ACPI turned off in the bios (which should be correct for a dual machine). Also installed are the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers (4.49). As the crash happens during the boot up sequence at the point when it switches from the black and white progress bar to the colour loading screen I wonder if it has something to do with the AGP drivers?

This is a rather an odd affliction as it has also happened to two other dual processor machines (MSI-6321 mainboard)with VIA chipsets (although I hadn't reinstalled the OS on these). The only way I could get them to work was to remove a processor.

Anybody any ideas as to the cause or possible solution?
Cheers
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2003 11:04:50 PM

It could be a power problem, or it could be...a driver problem. I hate diagnosing VIA driver problems so I'll leave that to someone else (I even do that for a local shop, but I get paid $50 a pop for it).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 27, 2003 10:38:44 AM

hmm.. pain in the arse is what it is. Tried the latest VIA drivers to no effect, shall try removing PCI cards next to see if that helps.

Cheers anyway.
Related resources
!