Ingman21

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
Hello all,

I'm in need of serious help. I usually determine most of these problems myself but I'm at wits end. Here is the configuration:

Asus P4S533-mx with Intel P4 1.5mhz
512 DDR ram (256mb x 2)
no PCI or AGP cards
40GB Western Digital hard drive
an old 4x4x16 CD-R
case with 400watt p/s

This was given to me to diagnose so here's the deal with it. It was working fine until recently. Upon boot up, the computer detects all the drives, and right before it reaches the summary screen, it reboots. They couldn't find out the problem so they purchased another motherboard. Same exact motherboard and same exact problem. This is when I took over. I ran the diagnostics and zero's to the hard drive and it came out ok. I tried to get past the summary screen and nothing, still reboots. The next thing I did was that I took a PCI-IDE card and put it in. That sorta worked. I got past the summary screen. This is where it crapped out on me. When installing either Win2k or Win XP, it gets to the beginning "Setup is now examining your configuration", and then BAM. It reboots again. I can't get past that screen. I've tried to copy the pre-install files on another computer but when i plugged the drive back into this cpu, i get a BSOD stop:0x7b error. I am at the end of the rope here guys/gals. Can anyone help?

Andy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This type of problem is usually caused by out of spec voltage or bad RAM. You could use MemTest86, which is a bootable floppy utility, to check the RAM if you can actually get that far. As for the power supply, check the voltage levels in BIOS first.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>