Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Making a Halo 3 Security helmet visor in real life?

Last response: in Video Games
November 9, 2009 9:42:27 PM

Long story short I'm building a wearable Halo 3 armor costume, and I'd like to make the Security helmet. Here's a picture (it was originally called the Marathon helmet):

The visor is gold, mirrored, and transparent from the inside. It's curved up/down and left/right. A gold motorcycle visor works for the normal helmet (the one Master Chief wears), but the security helmet is much too big.

Here's a picture of what I'm thinking of doing:

The problem is, I don't know where I can get see-through, mirrored, gold acrylic glass (Plexiglas). Even after I find out where to get it or how to make it, I don't know if you can shape or mold tinted/mirrored Plexiglas. If it's not possible, can anyone recommend alternatives?

Edit: I found a site that has 1-way acrylic mirror sheets for sale. Here's a link. KMP-031 (the first of the 2 Way Acrylic Mirrors) fits the bill nicely; 12"x12", 1/16" thick, and only $8.70. Now, I just need to know if that can be molded. Once that's figured out, I need to know if it can be tinted gold. Once that's figured out, I need to know if the gold tint can be molded. Any idea if it's possible?
November 10, 2009 1:11:32 PM

personally i would have just looked for clear transparent sheet then used a mirrored sticky sheet like that used on car windows, you should find one for display purposes only that fits the bill.
Score
November 11, 2009 4:05:46 AM

When you finish, you should post it, I'd like to see the finished product lol.
Score
September 7, 2011 6:41:54 AM

ponchato said:
Long story short I'm building a wearable Halo 3 armor costume, and I'd like to make the Security helmet. Here's a picture (it was originally called the Marathon helmet):
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w30/ponchato/marathon.jpg

The visor is gold, mirrored, and transparent from the inside. It's curved up/down and left/right. A gold motorcycle visor works for the normal helmet (the one Master Chief wears), but the security helmet is much too big.

Here's a picture of what I'm thinking of doing:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w30/ponchato/SecurityGoldTint.png

The problem is, I don't know where I can get see-through, mirrored, gold acrylic glass (Plexiglas). Even after I find out where to get it or how to make it, I don't know if you can shape or mold tinted/mirrored Plexiglas. If it's not possible, can anyone recommend alternatives?

Edit: I found a site that has 1-way acrylic mirror sheets for sale. Here's a link. KMP-031 (the first of the 2 Way Acrylic Mirrors) fits the bill nicely; 12"x12", 1/16" thick, and only $8.70. Now, I just need to know if that can be molded. Once that's figured out, I need to know if it can be tinted gold. Once that's figured out, I need to know if the gold tint can be molded. Any idea if it's possible?

just try to find a Jet Fighter Helmet visor forsale add the gold tint you would find on cars
Score
September 7, 2011 7:37:08 AM

can't wait to see the end result
Score
September 7, 2011 4:58:07 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!