True SMS Paging

Last response: in Network Providers
July 9, 2004 5:53:51 AM

Will any VZW phone, or optional service, provide true pager-type
notification when an SMS message comes in? I mean constant loud beeping for
a minute or more before it stops. Loud and long enough to wake you from a
deep sleep?

If not VZW, does any cellular service have such a feature?

Thanks

More about : true sms paging

Anonymous
July 9, 2004 7:18:56 AM

WaterSki wrote:

> Will any VZW phone, or optional service, provide true pager-type
> notification when an SMS message comes in? I mean constant loud beeping for
> a minute or more before it stops. Loud and long enough to wake you from a
> deep sleep?
>
> If not VZW, does any cellular service have such a feature?
>
> Thanks

Some phones let you assign a ring tone for an SMS alert. Find a long and
loud ringer to use for this purpose. Most phones come with at least one
long and loud ringer. If you post what kind of phone you have, someone
in this group may be able to give better advice. If you are looking for
a new phone, please post the features you are looking for. That way,
someone could give you advice on a phone with this feature and all of
the other features you are looking for.

Some phones also have loud reminder beeps for messages, such as the
Motorola StarTAC (which has been discontinued for a long time).

The feature you are looking for is really up to the phone manufactures.
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 7:18:57 AM

Jim K <jim9000@nospam.nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Some phones let you assign a ring tone for an SMS alert. Find a long and
> loud ringer to use for this purpose. Most phones come with at least one
> long and loud ringer. If you post what kind of phone you have, someone
> in this group may be able to give better advice. If you are looking for
> a new phone, please post the features you are looking for. That way,
> someone could give you advice on a phone with this feature and all of
> the other features you are looking for.

My Sprint Samsung A660 has some loud monotone beeps which would be
appropriate. On Verizon, try the Samsung A650 which should have the same
ringtones.

July 9, 2004 11:41:28 AM

"WaterSki" <test@test.com> wrote in message
news:p UmHc.12134$5v6.3825@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com...
> Will any VZW phone, or optional service, provide true pager-type
> notification when an SMS message comes in? I mean constant loud beeping
for
> a minute or more before it stops. Loud and long enough to wake you from a
> deep sleep?
>
> If not VZW, does any cellular service have such a feature?
>
> Thanks

A minute is a long time. I don't ever remember having a pager that alerted
that long.

We retired our alpha pagers a few years ago and use the cell system
messaging. You just need to make sure your phone can associate any ring you
want with the notification.

The vx4400 was the first phone I had that could do that. You could tag any
ringer or add one and use it. The vx4400s only weakness in this regard is it
did not have a 2 min reminder. The vx4500 does have a reminder.
!