Strange Norton Alert When Opening Office Documents

I attempted to install Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition on
my Windows XP Home Edition laptop. The install gave me problems, and I
cancelled it. Now, however, when I attempt to open an Office document, I get
a message saying "Norton AntiVirus 2005 does not support the Repair feature,
please uninstall and reinstall." I have to click OK here, at which time the
message disppears and reappears; I click OK one more time, and am taken to my
document. According to my control panel, I do not have Norton installed, and
am most curious as to why it is giving me these messages in the first place,
and how I can get rid of them. Any help would be appreciated.

Malke

Demir Barlas wrote:

> I attempted to install Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware
> Edition on my Windows XP Home Edition laptop. The install gave me
> problems, and I cancelled it. Now, however, when I attempt to open an
> Office document, I get a message saying "Norton AntiVirus 2005 does
> not support the Repair feature, please uninstall and reinstall." I
> have to click OK here, at which time the message disppears and
> reappears; I click OK one more time, and am taken to my document.
> According to my control panel, I do not have Norton installed, and am
> most curious as to why it is giving me these messages in the first
> place, and how I can get rid of them. Any help would be appreciated.

Norton software is notorious for not cleanly uninstalling. It has
apparently left some part of itself behind, along with the part that
integrates into MS Office.

Here is a TinyURL for the uninstallation instructions:
http://tinyurl.com/cbs36

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

By canceling the program install, you have left yourself in a "limbo" of
having not allowed the install program to install the dedicated "uninstall"
facility and the associated log files. Therefore the program will not
uninstall. You also allowed just enough to be installed to allow a
subsequent install to recognize that the program is there, but not enough to
work with.

You NEVER, EVER cancel an install when once the file transfer process has
begun.

You may have some luck with the dedicated program uninstaller that is
available from the Symantec web site. Type in "uninstall" here to see if
they have one for your particular program
http://search.symantec.com/custom/us/query.html.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Demir Barlas" <Demir Barlas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I attempted to install Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition on
> my Windows XP Home Edition laptop. The install gave me problems, and I
> cancelled it. Now, however, when I attempt to open an Office document, I
> get
> a message saying "Norton AntiVirus 2005 does not support the Repair
> feature,
> please uninstall and reinstall." I have to click OK here, at which time
> the
> message disppears and reappears; I click OK one more time, and am taken to
> my
> document. According to my control panel, I do not have Norton installed,
> and
> am most curious as to why it is giving me these messages in the first
> place,
> and how I can get rid of them. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

why don't you try to do a complete install. Then after that do a
complete uninstall.

Else try using System Restore to restore to a day before you install the
norton. It will restore a version of registry that will not contain
information about the norton install.

Cheers,
Dennis Chung

"Demir Barlas" <Demir Barlas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I attempted to install Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition on
> my Windows XP Home Edition laptop. The install gave me problems, and I
> cancelled it. Now, however, when I attempt to open an Office document, I
> get
> a message saying "Norton AntiVirus 2005 does not support the Repair
> feature,
> please uninstall and reinstall." I have to click OK here, at which time
> the
> message disppears and reappears; I click OK one more time, and am taken to
> my
> document. According to my control panel, I do not have Norton installed,
> and
> am most curious as to why it is giving me these messages in the first
> place,
> and how I can get rid of them. Any help would be appreciated.

It may be wiser to use the knowledge base article on the Symantec website to
do a manual uninstall.

"Dennis Chung" <dennis@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> why don't you try to do a complete install. Then after that do a
> complete uninstall.
>
> Else try using System Restore to restore to a day before you install
> the norton. It will restore a version of registry that will not contain
> information about the norton install.
>
> Cheers,
> Dennis Chung
>

> "Demir Barlas" <Demir Barlas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I attempted to install Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition
>>on
>> my Windows XP Home Edition laptop. The install gave me problems, and I
>> cancelled it. Now, however, when I attempt to open an Office document, I
>> get
>> a message saying "Norton AntiVirus 2005 does not support the Repair
>> feature,
>> please uninstall and reinstall." I have to click OK here, at which time
>> the
>> message disppears and reappears; I click OK one more time, and am taken
>> to my
>> document. According to my control panel, I do not have Norton installed,
>> and
>> am most curious as to why it is giving me these messages in the first
>> place,
>> and how I can get rid of them. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes. Totally agree... Forgot about that. Sorry...