DandyDan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2003
Sirs:
I have put together a system using this ECS P6VAP-A+ MB . The CPU I've installed is a FC-PPGA 1 Ghz.Celeron 2.
The chip says it will run on a FSB of 100 Mhz (max) ,and uses a voltage of 1.75.This MB specs show that this speed is not obtainable for this chip -- can it be ,by proper jumper /firmware configuration ?
I set all the jumpers for auto configuation ,except for JP9. This I set to force a 100 mhz FSB,but I don't think it worked :( I also have the firmware set to use a multiplier of 10 X.
Here is what happens: When I first boot up ,I usually hear 3 short beeps ,that continue to sound -- sometimes this will go away ,but for the most part they remain ,even while in Windows(98SE)
I have a diagnostic program-- SiSoft Sandra 2001 that I ran to check on the CPU and Bios info. Here is what it reports-- It identifies the CPU correctly as a Celeron 1.00 Ghz ,FC-PPGA ,but underneith that the Rated Speed shows 667 Mhz ,and a 67 mhz bus. Why will it not use a 100 mhz bus ? Could it because I have JP11,12,and 13 set to pins 1&2 which is correct for a Celeron ? I am thinking this MB came out before 100 mhz bus Celerons came out ,and assumes all Celerons are using a 67 mhz FSB. And these jumper settings over-ride any other setting I make ,with other jumpers? (like JP9)Perhaps if I put these jumpers on 2&3 (for the Cyrix Joshua CPU which uses a 100 mhz FSB) it will fooland force the MB to use a 100 mhz bus ??
The worrysome thing I see in SiSoft is the (reported) CPU voltage -- it is reporting 1.84 volts ,which is 5% higher that the rated voltage of my chip. I think this may be what is producing the error beeps. Do you think I should set the JP15 jumper for Manual Configuration ,and then I can select VID0-4 for the correct voltage? If I do this ,I will need to set the BF1-4 jumpers for the correct Ratio,as well ,and I do not see a number as high as 10 as an option in the list :(
What is the listing *Res.* mean ,in between the 7 and 6.5 jumper listing ??
On a different subject ,I have 256MB SDRAMS -- one stick is PC100 ,the other is PC133 . Which do you reccomend I use for the fastest (and best) operation ? I currently have the PC100 sticks installed --- will the PC133 stick change my FSB speed to 133 ??
Should I set my CPU Host Clock in Bios to 100/33 or what ?
Why (in the Frequency/Voltage Control Option in Bios setup) is *CPU Core Voltage* set to *Default* ,and greyed out ,so I cannot change it ?

Hoping you can help me sort this mess out.
Sincerely,
Dan Michler

Dan Michler

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMG, you have the configuration completely FUBAR. Sorry.

To begin with, you DON'T configure the thing as a Celeron, but a PIII. I know that doesn't sound right, but it is. You see, a Celeron configuration is for the old Mendicino core Celerons (300-533MHz), not Coppermine core Celerons (533MHz-1100MHz).

A Coppermine Celeron such as your is actually a PIII with 1/2 the cache disabled. Therefore, it has PIII hardware. So you set your board as though it has a PIII with a 100MHz bus.

Now another thing you didn't know: It doesn't matter what you set the multiplier at! This is because the setting is overridden by the CPU itself, which has an onboard multiplier lock. Even if your board only had multiplier settings as high as 8.5x, the 10x multiplier would be used automatically because it's on the CPU itself.

You need to set your CPu Host clock to 100/33. Then your CPU will run at 100x10=1000MHz.

The error beeps are probably being caused by you having the thing set as a Celeron instead of a PIII. I'm surprised the thing works at all!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
<A HREF="http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/list.asp?ProcFam=49" target="_new">http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/list.asp?ProcFam=49</A>

all 1.00GHZ processors use FSB=100.
Some 1.0 may be tualtin core Tulatin and incompatible

<A HREF="http://www.ecs.com.tw/support/techcpu/celeron.htm" target="_new">http://www.ecs.com.tw/support/techcpu/celeron.htm</A>
Have you flashed the latest bios for your motherboard?

There are two versions to your motherboard (it may matter)
which PCB revision do you have. Silkscreened onto the Mobo. You should be able to read it.

You did set FSB at 100 right?

Hope this helps.

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 08/22/03 07:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Why not set all the jumpers to automatic?
And in my previous post I mentioned Tualatin but that should not be the case if ur PPGA FC-PGA1 and not PPGA FC-PGA2.

What does your machine say the processor is when it boots up?

11,12 and 13 are Celeron vs Cyrix right?
My guess is Celeron.

Jumper 9 set for 100 and jumper 10 set for normal operation? Check jumper 9 and 10 plz.

The loving are the daring!

DandyDan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2003
Thanks for your input! The manual only gives 2 choices for JP11.12,and 13.Either set it for Celeron or Cyrix Joshua.
I set JP15 for manual configuration to set the CPU core voltage to 1.75 .just to be sure.I powered up ,and I saw the correct chip speed displayed in POST ,so assuming all is OK now.
Checking with SiSoft Sandra ,it looked OK ,but on one of the pages it still shows the core v as 1.84 ,but I believe this is misreported ,as on another page it shows 1.75,as it should be.
After awhile I got my beeb warning back ,and taking the side care cover off stopped it ,so I surmised it must be a heat problem.I have this thing in my garage in Las Vegas ,so you can understand it may be a tad warm for it --lol.
With the panel removed ,it registered 138°,but with it off it read 105. My next step was to install a case fan ,and now it reads 115° ,closed up ,and no beeps-- I guess OK ,now ?
In the Bios PC Health section it has the default shut-down set for 140°--- does this sound about right ?
Thanks again !

Dan Michler

DandyDan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2003
Thanks for your input -- I think I have it stable ,now.
Post is showing the correct cpu speed ,1 Ghz (10X100)
The beeps were a Cpu heat problem ,as it's in my garage in Las Vegas. The CPU heat sink/fan isn't too big ,and this MB won't accomodate anything too large ,so I cut a hole in my case side panel and fitted a case fan as exhaust -- seems OK ,now ,but I'll wait for cooler tempertures before I run that thing for an extended time --lol
My board rev is 1.1 ,and I have the latest bios flashed on it.
Thanks again !

Dan Michler

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Not sure about the Celeron 1GHZ.

Have a 1.4Mhz. Idle/Web Browse at 47-50C or about 115-120F. But that will depend on the ambient temperature in the room, case ventilation etc..

BTW (by the way), good job getting it going!

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 08/23/03 07:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS