Frozen Firefox?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,alt.fan.mozilla (More info?)

I recently upgraded my W98SE OS to Windows XP.
By and large it went well, BUT:

When I open Firefox, it _does_ open, but the page is pretty much unresponsive.
If I click on "File", "Edit", "View", "Go" and other itms, nothing happens.
If I click on the "Home" Icon, it seems to look for my homepage, and shows the
title in the blue bar across the top, but nothing else happens.

I uninstalled Firefox (1,04) and installed v. 1.06. No change.
I have a DSL connection which functions correctly (otherwise I would not have
been able to post this).
If I try to enter text into the address bar, it does not show.
If I click on the green "check for updates" arrow next to "Help", it actively
looks afor updates, and reports "Firefox was not able to find any available
updates" - not unreasonable, since the latest version is installed.

Any suggestions as to how to get this to work?
(Hate to admit it, but MS-IE, which is also installed, works OK).

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.

Try clearing the Firefox cache. Clear by going to
Tools->Options->Privacy->Cache-> Clear

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Pretty hard to do . . .as I wrote in my original post:
If I click on "File", "Edit", "View", "Go" and other itms, nothing happens.

>Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

>"John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>> I recently upgraded my W98SE OS to Windows XP.
>> By and large it went well, BUT:
>>
>> When I open Firefox, it _does_ open, but the page is pretty much unresponsive.
>> If I click on "File", "Edit", "View", "Go" and other itms, nothing happens.
>> If I click on the "Home" Icon, it seems to look for my homepage, and shows the
>> title in the blue bar across the top, but nothing else happens.
>>
>> I uninstalled Firefox (1,04) and installed v. 1.06. No change.
>> I have a DSL connection which functions correctly (otherwise I would not have
>> been able to post this).
>> If I try to enter text into the address bar, it does not show.
>> If I click on the green "check for updates" arrow next to "Help", it actively
>> looks afor updates, and reports "Firefox was not able to find any available
>> updates" - not unreasonable, since the latest version is installed.
>>
>> Any suggestions as to how to get this to work?
>> (Hate to admit it, but MS-IE, which is also installed, works OK).

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.

I missed the "other itms" part.