Found no antivirus software

I installed service pack2 for windows xp, and now at startup
I get the message that my computer is not protected.
When I check, I see that my antivirussoftware is not
recognized. I use AVG 7.0 antivirusscanner, and it is in the
list of windows as antivirussoftware it can detect.
What can I do so that the AVG virusscanner is detected?
6 answers Last reply
More about found antivirus software

    "EHO" <EHO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I installed service pack2 for windows xp, and now at startup
    > I get the message that my computer is not protected.
    > When I check, I see that my antivirussoftware is not
    > recognized. I use AVG 7.0 antivirusscanner, and it is in the
    > list of windows as antivirussoftware it can detect.
    > What can I do so that the AVG virusscanner is detected?

    Have you updated the AVG lately?

    Bobby

    If you are sure that it is up to date and the tray icon is in bright colors
    and not shades of gray, then you can tell the Windows Firewall that you will
    monitor your AV yourself and turn off the notification. The option is on
    the left of the Security Center and is called "Change the way Security
    Center alerts me."

    Before you do that check to see that AVG's internal data base is OK by
    opening AVG and checking the six frames.

    "EHO" <EHO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I installed service pack2 for windows xp, and now at startup
    > I get the message that my computer is not protected.
    > When I check, I see that my antivirussoftware is not
    > recognized. I use AVG 7.0 antivirusscanner, and it is in the
    > list of windows as antivirussoftware it can detect.
    > What can I do so that the AVG virusscanner is detected?

    Make sure that you've got all the Microsoft and AVG updates...and then wait.
    It took SP2 quite a while to figure out that my antivirus was working (it was
    Norton back then - I'm using AVG now with no problems!).

    You could also force the issue by uninstalling and reinstalling AVG.

    But, I'd just wait for a week or so (since you know the AVG is working) to
    see if it fixes itself.

    "EHO" wrote:

    > I installed service pack2 for windows xp, and now at startup
    > I get the message that my computer is not protected.
    > When I check, I see that my antivirussoftware is not
    > recognized. I use AVG 7.0 antivirusscanner, and it is in the
    > list of windows as antivirussoftware it can detect.
    > What can I do so that the AVG virusscanner is detected?

    Right-click on the AVG icon to the left of your clock > Check for updates
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    EHO wrote:
    > I installed service pack2 for windows xp, and now at startup
    > I get the message that my computer is not protected.
    > When I check, I see that my antivirussoftware is not
    > recognized. I use AVG 7.0 antivirusscanner, and it is in the
    > list of windows as antivirussoftware it can detect.
    > What can I do so that the AVG virusscanner is detected?

    I doubt that uninstalling and reinstalling would solve it if AVG's internal
    data base is synchronizing. I'd check that first. For further info on that
    see the AVG website.

    "usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Make sure that you've got all the Microsoft and AVG updates...and then
    > wait.
    > It took SP2 quite a while to figure out that my antivirus was working (it
    > was
    > Norton back then - I'm using AVG now with no problems!).
    >
    > You could also force the issue by uninstalling and reinstalling AVG.
    >
    > But, I'd just wait for a week or so (since you know the AVG is working) to
    > see if it fixes itself.
    >
    > "EHO" wrote:
    >
    >> I installed service pack2 for windows xp, and now at startup
    >> I get the message that my computer is not protected.
    >> When I check, I see that my antivirussoftware is not
    >> recognized. I use AVG 7.0 antivirusscanner, and it is in the
    >> list of windows as antivirussoftware it can detect.
    >> What can I do so that the AVG virusscanner is detected?

    With AVG you can have all the updates and still have an out-of-sync internal
    database.

    > Right-click on the AVG icon to the left of your clock > Check for updates
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > EHO wrote:
    >> I installed service pack2 for windows xp, and now at startup
    >> I get the message that my computer is not protected.
    >> When I check, I see that my antivirussoftware is not
    >> recognized. I use AVG 7.0 antivirusscanner, and it is in the
    >> list of windows as antivirussoftware it can detect.
    >> What can I do so that the AVG virusscanner is detected?

Antivirus Software Windows XP