Hasta la vista Longhorn.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23RVFzFsjFHA.576@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Paul Smith <Paul@nospam.windowsresource.net> hunted and pecked:
> It's official goodbye Longhorn. Hello Windows Vista.
>
> Press release:
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-22LHMA.mspx
>
> Video: http://www.microsoft.com/winme/0507/25234/Win_Name_MBR.asx
>
> Product page http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx
>

> http://blogs.dasmirnov.net/paul/2005/07/22/goodbye_longhorn
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

Hope this lives up to the hype... Any beta testers have a few comments
on it?

-Matt

Paul Smith Wrote:
> It's official goodbye Longhorn. Hello Windows Vista.
>
> Press release:
> http://tinyurl.com/cm4nv
>
> Video: http://www.microsoft.com/winme/0507/25234/Win_Name_MBR.asx
>
> Product page http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx
>

> http://blogs.dasmirnov.net/paul/2005/07/22/goodbye_longhorn
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

--
matt_fleming

Beta1 will not be feature complete but it will be a lot more so than the
previews released so far. The eye candy (Aero and Aero Glass) will not
appear until Beta 2. Aero Glass will likely require a high end video card
for the 3d rendering. Something like a Radeon 9800 or better, but that
could change so don't shop yet. It may be less, it may be more (unlikely).
Vista, unlike XP, can scale itself to the level of hardware available so
almost everyone can run Vista. The older the hardware, the more it will
look like XP. The newer the hardware the more eye-popping it will be with
3D animation and such.

Beta 1 looks to be available to us by Aug 3. The previews showed very
little of the new stuff because they were meant for hardware vendors so they
could begin developing device drivers, etc. It is too early to get an
overview of how it is all going to come together.

A lot of effort is going into security issues surronding user accounts and
making a system of user accounts that is not as painful as in XP to use
correctly.

Some of the Vista features will be retrofitted to XP SP2 or later.

There are both 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Vista beta and Server beta.
You will need at least a DVD-ROM drive to install.

IE7 beta for XP SP2 is about to go out as well. IE7 will be released before
Vista. Lots of initiatives to fight malware of all kinds in both Vista and
IE7. Windows OneCare beta is just getting under way.

RSS will be integrated into Vista.

Vista is really a wave of products that will release over the next several
years, some of whom will be retrofitted for XP SP2 and later.

There may be more editions of Vista than there are of XP.

A lot of things can change over the next year. That's the purpose of a
beta.

The MVP's are receiving the betas under an NDA, so I can only tell you about
the things already publically mentioned. Sorry.

"matt_fleming" <matt_fleming.1slh1o@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Hope this lives up to the hype... Any beta testers have a few comments
> on it?
>
> -Matt
>
> Paul Smith Wrote:
>> It's official goodbye Longhorn. Hello Windows Vista.
>>
>> Press release:
>> http://tinyurl.com/cm4nv
>>
>> Video: http://www.microsoft.com/winme/0507/25234/Win_Name_MBR.asx
>>
>> Product page http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx
>>

>> http://blogs.dasmirnov.net/paul/2005/07/22/goodbye_longhorn
>>
>> --
>> Paul Smith,
>> Yeovil, UK.
>> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>>
>> *Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*
>

> --
> matt_fleming

Personally I think they could have come up with a better name for it though.
Vista just doesn't have the punch that Long Horn does =)

Kyle Holgate

"Paul Smith" wrote:

> It's official goodbye Longhorn. Hello Windows Vista.
>
> Press release:
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-22LHMA.mspx
>
> Video: http://www.microsoft.com/winme/0507/25234/Win_Name_MBR.asx
>
> Product page http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx
>

> http://blogs.dasmirnov.net/paul/2005/07/22/goodbye_longhorn
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

I like the name vista and the slogon for it "Bringing clarity to your
world." the longhorn name was ok but it also sounded to munch like cattle
in Texis.

"Kyle Holgate" wrote:

> Personally I think they could have come up with a better name for it though.
> Vista just doesn't have the punch that Long Horn does =)
>
> Kyle Holgate
>
> "Paul Smith" wrote:
>
> > It's official goodbye Longhorn. Hello Windows Vista.
> >
> > Press release:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-22LHMA.mspx
> >
> > Video: http://www.microsoft.com/winme/0507/25234/Win_Name_MBR.asx
> >
> > Product page http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx
> >

> > http://blogs.dasmirnov.net/paul/2005/07/22/goodbye_longhorn
> >
> > --
> > Paul Smith,
> > Yeovil, UK.
> > http://www.windowsresource.net/
> >
> > *Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

Texans wouldn't know cattle if they fell over one with their tinney, weenie farms. In Australia cattle stations are bigger than european countries.

a.. Anna Creek Station is well known as the largest cattle station in the world, covering an area of 34,000 sq. kms (6 million acres). It is still 8,000 sq. kms larger than its nearest rival in the N.T. of Australia, Alexandria Station. The largest American cattle station “ranch” is 3,000 sq. kms.

"chrisg1990" <chrisg1990@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9E41E14-B4C1-4085-B644-7B23843AF8DC@microsoft.com...
>I like the name vista and the slogon for it "Bringing clarity to your
> world." the longhorn name was ok but it also sounded to munch like cattle
> in Texis.
>
> "Kyle Holgate" wrote:
>
>> Personally I think they could have come up with a better name for it though.
>> Vista just doesn't have the punch that Long Horn does =)
>>
>> Kyle Holgate
>>
>> "Paul Smith" wrote:
>>
>> > It's official goodbye Longhorn. Hello Windows Vista.
>> >
>> > Press release:
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-22LHMA.mspx
>> >
>> > Video: http://www.microsoft.com/winme/0507/25234/Win_Name_MBR.asx
>> >
>> > Product page http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx
>> >

>> > http://blogs.dasmirnov.net/paul/2005/07/22/goodbye_longhorn
>> >
>> > --
>> > Paul Smith,
>> > Yeovil, UK.
>> > http://www.windowsresource.net/
>> >
>> > *Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

Sheesh, David, you sound like a Texan.

It isn't the size, in area, it's the size, in number of cattle.

They need that much land just to graze 18,000 head of cattle.

[[Presently, Anna Creek Station is carrying 13,000 head of cattle due to the
drought back in 1999. Heavy recent rains over the Outback of South Australia
has meant that they can now restock the station with up to 18,000 head. The
rains have brought additional feed for the cattle.]]
From...
Anna Creek Station
http://www.wrightsair.com.au/anna.htm

Most cattle in the US are fed corn flakes (they are easier to digest than
regular field corn), hay, molasses and other feed supplements. Very few
cattle in the US are left to graze on the open range any more.

The present day Swift & Company (Headquartered here in Greeley) evolved out
of Monfort of Colorado; Monfort, Inc and ConAgra Beef Co. Monfort of
Colorado had three cattle feedlots with a one time capacity of about 320,000
head. All three feedlots are in Colorado. Two of them right here in Weld
County. I have done work at all three: Gilcrest, Kersey and Yuma. We built
the Yuma feedlot from scratch in 1987. All the cattle pens, veterinary
hospital facilities, grain handling facilities, corn flaker mill building
(Monfort made more corn flakes than Kellogg's), batch plant, boiler house
(steam is needed to partially cook the corn kernels), computer feed batching
tower/office building, etc.

Smithfield Foods bought the cattle feeding operation from Con-Agra (MF
Cattle Feeding, Inc) and has since formed a joint venture with ContiBeef LLC
to form Five Rivers Ranch Cattle Feeding LLC.

[[...Swift & Company the second-largest processor of both beef and pork in
the world, and the leading Australian beef processor. ]]
From...
http://www.swiftbrands.com/about/ownership.php

[[We’re also the largest beef industry employers in Australia with four
processing plants.]]
From...
http://www.swiftbrands.com/careers/index.php

[[Australian Beef Processing Plants
Beef City
Dinmore
Rockhampton
Townsville

Australian Cattle Feedlots
Beef City
Caroona
Mungindi
Prime City ]]
From...
Swift & Company - Swift at a Glance
http://www.swiftbrands.com/about/at_glance.php

[[Five Rivers has a one-time feeding capacity of 811,000 head, making it the
largest cattle feeding company in the country.]]
From...
ContiGroup, Smithfield complete joint venture
http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/20050524/BUSINESS/105240046

[[Five Rivers Ranch Cattle Feeding LLC is the largest cattle feeding
operations in the world, marketing over one million head annually, most of
which are company owned.]]
From...
http://www.fiveriverscattle.com/About.htm

ConAgra Foods Sells Cattle Feedlots to Smithfield
http://www.mycattle.com/news/dsp_topstories_article.cfm?storyid=15637

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OPgDS49jFHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
David Candy <.> hunted and pecked:
> Texans wouldn't know cattle if they fell over one with their tinney,
> weenie farms. In Australia cattle stations are bigger than european
> countries.
>
> a.. Anna Creek Station is well known as the largest cattle station in the
> world, covering an area of 34,000 sq. kms (6 million acres). It is still
> 8,000 sq. kms larger than its nearest rival in the N.T. of Australia,
> Alexandria Station. The largest American cattle station “ranch� is
> 3,000 sq. kms.

------------------------
> "chrisg1990" <chrisg1990@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I like the name vista and the slogon for it "Bringing clarity to your
>> world." the longhorn name was ok but it also sounded to munch like
>> cattle in Texis.
>>
>> "Kyle Holgate" wrote:
>>
>>> Personally I think they could have come up with a better name for it
>>> though. Vista just doesn't have the punch that Long Horn does =)
>>>
>>> Kyle Holgate

At least our cows can walk right side up. :)

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Texans wouldn't know cattle if they fell over one with their tinney, weenie
farms. In Australia cattle stations are bigger than european countries.

a.. Anna Creek Station is well known as the largest cattle station in the
world, covering an area of 34,000 sq. kms (6 million acres). It is still
8,000 sq. kms larger than its nearest rival in the N.T. of Australia,
Alexandria Station. The largest American cattle station "ranch" is 3,000 sq.
kms.

"chrisg1990" <chrisg1990@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I like the name vista and the slogon for it "Bringing clarity to your
> world." the longhorn name was ok but it also sounded to munch like
> cattle
> in Texis.
>
> "Kyle Holgate" wrote:
>
>> Personally I think they could have come up with a better name for it
>> though.
>> Vista just doesn't have the punch that Long Horn does =)
>>
>> Kyle Holgate
>>
>> "Paul Smith" wrote:
>>
>> > It's official goodbye Longhorn. Hello Windows Vista.
>> >
>> > Press release:
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/jul05/07-22LHMA.mspx
>> >
>> > Video: http://www.microsoft.com/winme/0507/25234/Win_Name_MBR.asx
>> >
>> > Product page http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx
>> >

>> > http://blogs.dasmirnov.net/paul/2005/07/22/goodbye_longhorn
>> >
>> > --
>> > Paul Smith,
>> > Yeovil, UK.
>> > http://www.windowsresource.net/
>> >
>> > *Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

The land is near desert so they run 1 head of cattle per sq mile. Most farms are in richer land and are mostly wheat (and canola etc)/sheep with some cattle.

Cattle spend just the end of their lives on feeding lots. They are born and live in paddocks.

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23%23tQfLIkFHA.948@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> David Candy <.> hunted and pecked:
>> Texans wouldn't know cattle if they fell over one with their tinney,
>> weenie farms. In Australia cattle stations are bigger than european
>> countries.
>>
>> a.. Anna Creek Station is well known as the largest cattle station in the
>> world, covering an area of 34,000 sq. kms (6 million acres). It is still
>> 8,000 sq. kms larger than its nearest rival in the N.T. of Australia,
>> Alexandria Station. The largest American cattle station “ranch” is
>> 3,000 sq. kms.
>>
>> --
> ------------------------
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> "chrisg1990" <chrisg1990@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I like the name vista and the slogon for it "Bringing clarity to your
>>> world." the longhorn name was ok but it also sounded to munch like

The legs are supposed to touch the ground.

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message news:%23CKSYfMkFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> At least our cows can walk right side up. :)
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Texans wouldn't know cattle if they fell over one with their tinney, weenie
> farms. In Australia cattle stations are bigger than european countries.
>
> a.. Anna Creek Station is well known as the largest cattle station in the
> world, covering an area of 34,000 sq. kms (6 million acres). It is still
> 8,000 sq. kms larger than its nearest rival in the N.T. of Australia,
> Alexandria Station. The largest American cattle station "ranch" is 3,000 sq.
> kms.

> "chrisg1990" <chrisg1990@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I like the name vista and the slogon for it "Bringing clarity to your
>> world." the longhorn name was ok but it also sounded to munch like
>> cattle
>> in Texis.
>>
>> "Kyle Holgate" wrote:
>>
>>> Personally I think they could have come up with a better name for it
>>> though.
>>> Vista just doesn't have the punch that Long Horn does =)
>>>
>>> Kyle Holgate

I that why they call it "down udder"? :)