Closed

Win7 64 -- Counter Strike Source Crash

Everytime I try to run Counter Strike Source, it crashes. Very very frustrating, especially since I play CS:S for league play and tournaments--it is hard to get on and practice/play matches when you can't launch the game. I will do my best to describe my system, and all the symptoms, and steps I have taken so far. Sorry if it gets a bit wordy--I am at my wits end, and I just need help.

Win7 Ultimate 64
Dual Monitors (1920x1080 & 1280x1024)
E8400 @ 4.05ghz
eVGA 790i SLI FTW Digital PWM
Sapphire HD5850
4Gb Corsair DDR3 @ 1600mhz
640Gb WD Caviar Black
500Gb WD External
Creative X-fi Xtremegamer Fatal1ty
600W PSU

Using Steam to install and run Counter Strike Source.

Essentially, I cannot play CSS at all. I click to open the game, both screens flash a few times--the CSS background comes up, then I get the world famous "HL2.exe has caused an error" etc etc. I let it search for a cause, it never finds one. I have installed the latest video drivers, as well as the latest nForce drivers--but have had better luck with my network when using the Windows drivers (per my research online, I have found that many nVidia chipset users have had to revert to Windows drivers for their Network device as well).

I figured it could be a bad video driver, since the screens would flicker upon launch--so I updated to the newest forceware without any help.

I wondered perhaps if it is a network issue between my router and Win7 so I upgraded the firmware on the router, no help.

Finally, I believe I have nailed it down to an error when launching 1920x1080 into CS:S from Win7. I set my default resolution in Win7 to 1440x900, and CS:S would launch, then I could manually change my resolution to 1920x1080 in-game and it would run. I was able to play for a short while--then the game crashed again. Needless to say, it is rather hard to play a game that wont run. My system is more than capable of running source (source engine is not very demanding), I can average well into the 200-300 fps range with 16xAF and 4xAA but for some reason the resolution is causing me all this trouble.

I believe there is a way to force a certain resolution upon launching source--but the instructions I have found so far have been vague at best.

Anyone that has had similar problems or has any other troubleshooting ideas, please feel free to reply--as I said, I'm about at my wits end :fou: . Thanks guys!

Has anyone else encountered an error like this?
15 answers Last reply
More about win7 counter strike source crash
  1. found your thread with a google search "counter strike source 1920 1080"

I have the same problem, windows 7 ultimate 64 dual monitors with a gtx 260 core 216, ive found that if i run -autoconfig in launch options and the in game change the settings to 1920x1080 the game runs but when I exit the game delete the -autoconfig and try to launch it I get the same thing as you. It seems that counter strike doesnt really support that high of a resolution ...

im going to keep looking over the interwebs and see if there is a way to force 1920x1080 using the launch options ...

its frustrating to pay this much for a monitor and gfx card to not be able to use them to their full potential
  2. I agree completely! I found it easiest to disable one monitor through nVidia or ATI control panel (pending card you're using) and launch at 1080. It's undoubtedly an issue with Counter Strike being such an old game, and not wanting to "play nice" with high resolutions.

Oddly, now that I am running an ATI 5850 and a single 1080p monitor, I can launch and play the game every time. Don't get me wrong, I still have *more* than my fair share of hl2.exe crashes--which makes me extremely frustrated when playing in ESEA since every "pug leave" grants you a 15 minute ban.

Please be sure to let me know if you find an easy fix. The -autoconfig resolution change works for some, but I found that changing my native resolution then launching CS:S and THEN changing my CS:S resolution back to 1920x1080 worked for me. A few Steam updates later and that was solved, but I still experience far too many crashes; for a competitive league player, this is most taxing.

If you are not using the latest video drivers, I would also update those--it may be tied to the early Win7 drivers (Steam thinking they were Vista drivers perhaps?). I believe Steam/CS:S are the culprits here. I have submitted a support ticket to Steam, please do so as well, the more people we have writing to them the greater the odds are they will at least *attempt* to fix it.
  3. i have the same problem, same os (Win7 Ultimate 64) but diff hardwhare
  4. I have Win7 64-bit and I tested CS:S the other night, played for a good 15 minutes at 1920x1080, same settings as you and didn't experience any crashing, getting around 300 fps.

Sorry I can't help more, but if I had to guess, I would say it's a Win7 problem. I keep hearing of game issues when running Win 7 which I didn't know about before installing it on my new rig. I'm getting lock-ups on Crysis forcing me to do a hard reboot.

I'll let you know after some more CS:S playing if I get a crash or not, may have just gotten lucky haha.
  5. I have also had Crysis errors as well. I'm 90% sure it is a steam/Win7 compatibility issue :( until Steam (or Microsoft) decides they wish to cater their updates to gamers, I think we will be dealing with hl2.exe and ut2004.exe errors :(
  6. I encounter the same problem, but mine is a bit different. every time i launch CSS with both monitors on it flickers on start up. then freezes the very first screen, with the black box in the corner containing "loading". if i move the mouse around i can hear the clicks from the menu, open windows, even join a game. however the screen remains frozen with the same image.

when i disable my secondary monitor everything works fine. the first time i encountered this problem was a month ago when i updated my drivers. i don't know the exact date. my guess is the 196.75 drivers i downloaded 3/3/2010.

i will try to find drivers predating this, around january to try and get back to you

i have windows 7 Home 64 edition.
    Kensfield Q6600 core 2 quad
    EVGA 680i 121n
    EVGA SSC 8800GT
    4gigs GEIL DDR2 800mhz
    seagate 320GB + 2x Maxtor 500GB
    Creative SB X-Fi
    540W Power Supply
  7. I've simply stopped using dual monitors--as sad as that is. Can't be having CS:S crashes and errors while playing in leagues.

Still no fix...
  8. the weird thing is all other steam/valve games work. it's only CSS that has this problem. i've tried HL2/TF2 which use the same engine and those work fine. i assume something has to come from valve to fix this. but i will try new drivers i dled last night in about 6 hours after i get back from class.
  9. Yep i also got duel monitors' and win 7 64 ultimate'. Both screens fliker and stops at opening screen. Showing the end task option.

1920x1200 Pri 1280x1024 Sec
    GTX260 Video Card
    intel 920 2.67GHz
    3gig Led Ram DDR3
    Msi MS-7522 MoBo

Olso Golden Eye Source Dose the same thing. Tryed reinstallin cs:s with no luck.
  10. I was having the same problem, I merely put the game into windowed mode by going into properties of CS:S clicking on Set Launch Options, typing in -windowed and it opens fine. If you wanna play it full screen you'll just have to play it in the resolution below what its set it. Works fine, theres alittle black stripe at the bottom. But whatever as long as I can play. There doesn't seem to be any fix, for me I just take the minute to change the resolution and put it back into full-screen. Which isn't that bad honestly. Hope this helped. :p
  11. I did like Ol Boy up top. Changed my desk top rez down. Right click then screen rez option. Dident close any thing.

Reopend cs:s and it opend and ran. Wich was weard cause when I very first got steem installed on this new windows it worked perfect and later on it messed up.

1920 x 1080 is what i swiched it to.

Another weard dill was the game was runing at 1920 x 1200, What my rez was normaly set to.

Crazy but ill take it!
  12. hi , it' s tragically horrible, so far why does computer games have to be tamed like this, for me , i both set down & up the resolution of my desktop, but when trying to launch, my screen blacks out like the darkness, what should be done i ask myself, even though should i purchase a flat screen or a HD screen to play this CSS. , i changde the compatibilty mode , resolu, advance settings etc, but in vain, what is the problem with CSS, but only CS 1.6 works fine.
  13. I had the same problem (Win7 x64, dual monitor) but managed to fix it - go to your monitor control panel (in my case, nvidia) and found that my primary monitor was running 59hz, secondary 60hz! Put them both at 60hz and CSS no longer crashes on startup.

Hope this helps, not sure if this will work with ATi cards though.
  14. I have the same problem but its ONLY with CSS, it annoys me alot because I want to play with my friends but that doesnt matter. I got Win XP I got Intel Core duo 6600 @ 2.40ghz (both cores) 2 GB of RAM. I got Nvidia 8800 GTS for my video card.... I dont know why it keeps crashing. I get only like 15 mins in and it dies. Or if i play a Zombie mod it dies almost instantly.
  15. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Video Games