Need help configuring wireless router on network with exis..

Cappy

I just purchased a Netgear WGR614v4 wireless b/g router. It has an
integrated 4-port switch. Supports RIP, all latest bells and whistles.

I am having a hard time configuring it on my network.

My basic setup contains a cable modem currently plugged into an older
hard-line Linksys BESFxxx cable/dsl router, which has an integrated
4-port switch. One machine is directly connected to this router's
switch, and then I run a line to another 8-port switch in another part
of the house, where another machine (and other various devices like a
ReplayTV, Rio Media Player, etc) are connected. I have a Dell Latitude
D600 laptop (Centrino with integrated G wireless) that I would like to
be able to use via the new wireless router.

The problem is that I cannot TOUCH the old router connected to the
cable modem. It is used by my wife for her business and she won't let
me near it, though we share the internet connection (I screwed things
up a bit in the past, :) ) So, I need to make BOTH routers work on
the same network, and cannot figure out how to configure the wireless
router correctly.

Here is the basic setup. Sorry for the multiple lines but I wanted to
make sure that users with different fonts could see it correctly:

route 1:

cable modem <--> Linksys router <--> machine 1

route 2:

cable modem <--> Linksys router <--> 8-port switch <--> [other
devices]

Note that the cable modem and router listed above are the same in both
routes.

I currently have the wireless router plugged into the switch like so:

Linksys <--> switch <--> Netgear wireless router <- wireless -> laptop

The laptop can SEE and configure the Netgear router just fine. It just
cannot get to the internet or LAN.

I have all devices on the original (non-wireless) network set up to
use static IPs.
All devices are on the same subnet of 192.168.1.xxx.
The Linksys router IP is 192.168.1.0.
The Linksys router IP is used as the Default Gateway IP for all
devices on the original network (obviously).
The Netgear router IP I manually set to 192.168.1.20, from a factory
default of 192.168.0.1.
I enabled DHCP on the Netgear for the laptop since all other machines
and devices on my network have static IPs.
I gave the Netgear a DHCP address range of 192.168.1.21 -
192.168.1.23.

The laptop gets an address via DHCP of 192.168.1.21 from the Netgear
with no problem. I can also login to the Netgear router via wireless
without problem.

I am not sure which port I should use to connect my Netgear router to
the 8-port switch. I have tried using both one of the
auto-uplink-sensing integrated switch ports and the WAN port. But the
laptop can never see anything else on the network nor can it connect
to the internet.

Currently I have the Netgear router connected to the switch via the
WAN/internet port. I have manually configured the IP of the Netgear
router's WAN port to be the same as that of the Netgear router itself:
192.168.1.20. I have also tried 192.168.1.222. I set the Default
Gateway IP for the Netgear router's WAN port to be the address of the
Linksys router: 192.168.1.0. I use the same DNS addresses as all other
machines on the network.

Do I need to use RIP or static routes or something? I am completely
clueless when it comes to networking, even though I have been a SW
engineer for years. Sorry for the long post but this is driving me
nuts!

Thanks for any help -

Cappy Popp

cappy <cappy_popp@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The problem is that I cannot TOUCH the old router connected to the
> cable modem. It is used by my wife for her business and she won't let
> me near it, though we share the internet connection (I screwed things
> up a bit in the past, :) ) So, I need to make BOTH routers work on
> the same network, and cannot figure out how to configure the wireless
> router correctly.

I didn't read the post in detail because it sounds like:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K2E3155E8
"How do I connect a Linksys Wireless router to a regular Ethernet Linksys
router?"

---

I did not read your post in detail (it's too long). But here is my quick
comment. If you other router is working and you can use it, you should have
purchased an access point. The access point would plug into your router or
hub and then provide you wireless access.

Jeff