Dual channel DDR and SATA performance??

Unseen

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
I am trying to build a cheap computer system with an AMD 2600 XP. I was wondering if it worth the extra $20 or get a MB with dual channel DDR?? Also it is worth another extra $50 for MB that has both dual channel DDR and SATA. I am not sure how much peformance increase those will provide so I am just wondering. Also any recommandation for specific MB would be nice too!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dual Channel mode does little for AMD processors, and SATA does nothing to increase performance.

You WILL want a good chipset, and most nForce2 boards support dual Channel, although Anantech reviewed one that doesn't recently (and yes, it is a bit cheaper).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
Get the dual channel board. Not only will it give you 20% more ram bandwidth, but the nvidia chipset is the best available today. For max gain on the ram, make sure the xp2600 uses the 166 fsb.