Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

desktop icons

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 7:59:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Does the number of desktop icons have anything to do with computer speed? I
have about 25 on my desktop and a friend tells me that many will slow down my
computer. Thanks
--
Vesta

More about : desktop icons

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 12:01:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Your friend is wrong. Icons are just links to start a program. What slows
you down are multiple running programs, as they occupy memory and place
demands on the cpu. Icons do not do that, they are just placeholders.

Look at it this way: On a city street you have cars (programs) and you have
signs (icons). The signs are simply there, they tell you information. How
fast you can go depends on the number of cars on the street and how
congested the street is.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Vesta" <jtx472@netzero.com> wrote in message
news:4E23B1F2-E752-4978-B9C2-E5D9553F9034@microsoft.com...
> Does the number of desktop icons have anything to do with computer speed?
> I
> have about 25 on my desktop and a friend tells me that many will slow down
> my
> computer. Thanks
> --
> Vesta
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 12:01:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thank you. I really liked your analogy. It helps a newbie like me to better
understand. Thanks for taking the time.
--
Vesta


"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Your friend is wrong. Icons are just links to start a program. What slows
> you down are multiple running programs, as they occupy memory and place
> demands on the cpu. Icons do not do that, they are just placeholders.
>
> Look at it this way: On a city street you have cars (programs) and you have
> signs (icons). The signs are simply there, they tell you information. How
> fast you can go depends on the number of cars on the street and how
> congested the street is.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Vesta" <jtx472@netzero.com> wrote in message
> news:4E23B1F2-E752-4978-B9C2-E5D9553F9034@microsoft.com...
> > Does the number of desktop icons have anything to do with computer speed?
> > I
> > have about 25 on my desktop and a friend tells me that many will slow down
> > my
> > computer. Thanks
> > --
> > Vesta
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 1:37:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

You're welcome. Glad to have been of assistance.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Vesta" <jtx472@netzero.com> wrote in message
news:8BC6AD6D-CA0C-4F42-B608-743BDCCF1E1A@microsoft.com...
> Thank you. I really liked your analogy. It helps a newbie like me to
> better
> understand. Thanks for taking the time.
> --
> Vesta
>
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Your friend is wrong. Icons are just links to start a program. What slows
>> you down are multiple running programs, as they occupy memory and place
>> demands on the cpu. Icons do not do that, they are just placeholders.
>>
>> Look at it this way: On a city street you have cars (programs) and you
>> have
>> signs (icons). The signs are simply there, they tell you information. How
>> fast you can go depends on the number of cars on the street and how
>> congested the street is.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Vesta" <jtx472@netzero.com> wrote in message
>> news:4E23B1F2-E752-4978-B9C2-E5D9553F9034@microsoft.com...
>> > Does the number of desktop icons have anything to do with computer
>> > speed?
>> > I
>> > have about 25 on my desktop and a friend tells me that many will slow
>> > down
>> > my
>> > computer. Thanks
>> > --
>> > Vesta
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 5:57:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Vesta

Desktop icons did have an impact on Win 9x systems, but XP manages memory
differently and so desktop icons filling the screen have no impact as such..
other than it is next to impossible to find the one that you may want of
course.. :-)


--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User


"Vesta" <jtx472@netzero.com> wrote in message
news:4E23B1F2-E752-4978-B9C2-E5D9553F9034@microsoft.com...
> Does the number of desktop icons have anything to do with computer speed?
> I
> have about 25 on my desktop and a friend tells me that many will slow down
> my
> computer. Thanks
> --
> Vesta
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 9:26:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Yes,they are. They are in the same part of the system.Finally it depends
on your harddisk capacity.The bigger the better.


--
alderessy
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 9:26:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In news:alderessy.1soppp@pcbanter.net,
alderessy <alderessy.1soppp@pcbanter.net> typed:

> Yes,they are. They are in the same part of the system.


In this in response to the question about whether having more
desktop icons slows down the computer? If so, that's *not*
correct. It doesn't matter.


> Finally it
> depends on your harddisk capacity.The bigger the better.


That too is *not* correct. Although for many other reasons, it's
generally better to have a larger hard drive, it has nothing to
do with how many desktop icons you have.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:58:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 03:59:08 -0700, "Vesta" <jtx472@netzero.com>
wrote:

>Does the number of desktop icons have anything to do with computer speed?

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 1:59:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

No.

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 03:59:08 -0700, "Vesta" <jtx472@netzero.com>
wrote:

>Does the number of desktop icons have anything to do with computer speed?
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 2:43:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 03:59:08 -0700, "Vesta" <jtx472@netzero.com> wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers:

>Does the number of desktop icons have anything to do with computer speed? I
>have about 25 on my desktop and a friend tells me that many will slow down my
>computer. Thanks

Only during startup and the occasional desktop refresh. 25 is not many.

--
Michael Bednarek http://mbednarek.com/ "POST NO BILLS"
!