Does the number of desktop icons have anything to do with computer speed? I
have about 25 on my desktop and a friend tells me that many will slow down my
computer. Thanks
--
Vesta

Your friend is wrong. Icons are just links to start a program. What slows
you down are multiple running programs, as they occupy memory and place
demands on the cpu. Icons do not do that, they are just placeholders.

Look at it this way: On a city street you have cars (programs) and you have
signs (icons). The signs are simply there, they tell you information. How
fast you can go depends on the number of cars on the street and how
congested the street is.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Vesta" <jtx472@netzero.com> wrote in message
> Does the number of desktop icons have anything to do with computer speed?
> have about 25 on my desktop and a friend tells me that many will slow down
> my
> computer. Thanks
> --
> Vesta

Thank you. I really liked your analogy. It helps a newbie like me to better
understand. Thanks for taking the time.
--
Vesta

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Your friend is wrong. Icons are just links to start a program. What slows
> you down are multiple running programs, as they occupy memory and place
> demands on the cpu. Icons do not do that, they are just placeholders.
>
> Look at it this way: On a city street you have cars (programs) and you have
> signs (icons). The signs are simply there, they tell you information. How
> fast you can go depends on the number of cars on the street and how
> congested the street is.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Vesta" <jtx472@netzero.com> wrote in message
> > Does the number of desktop icons have anything to do with computer speed?
> > have about 25 on my desktop and a friend tells me that many will slow down
> > my
> > computer. Thanks
> > --
> > Vesta

You're welcome. Glad to have been of assistance.

--

> Thank you. I really liked your analogy. It helps a newbie like me to
> better
> understand. Thanks for taking the time.
> --
> Vesta
>

> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Your friend is wrong. Icons are just links to start a program. What slows
>> you down are multiple running programs, as they occupy memory and place
>> demands on the cpu. Icons do not do that, they are just placeholders.
>>
>> Look at it this way: On a city street you have cars (programs) and you
>> have
>> signs (icons). The signs are simply there, they tell you information. How
>> fast you can go depends on the number of cars on the street and how
>> congested the street is.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Vesta" <jtx472@netzero.com> wrote in message
>> > Does the number of desktop icons have anything to do with computer
>> > speed?
>> > have about 25 on my desktop and a friend tells me that many will slow
>> > down
>> > my
>> > computer. Thanks
>> > --
>> > Vesta

Vesta

Desktop icons did have an impact on Win 9x systems, but XP manages memory
differently and so desktop icons filling the screen have no impact as such..
other than it is next to impossible to find the one that you may want of
course.. :)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Vesta" <jtx472@netzero.com> wrote in message
> Does the number of desktop icons have anything to do with computer speed?
> have about 25 on my desktop and a friend tells me that many will slow down
> my
> computer. Thanks
> --
> Vesta

Yes,they are. They are in the same part of the system.Finally it depends
on your harddisk capacity.The bigger the better.

--
alderessy

In news:alderessy.1soppp@pcbanter.net,
alderessy <alderessy.1soppp@pcbanter.net> typed:

> Yes,they are. They are in the same part of the system.

In this in response to the question about whether having more
desktop icons slows down the computer? If so, that's *not*
correct. It doesn't matter.

> Finally it
> depends on your harddisk capacity.The bigger the better.

That too is *not* correct. Although for many other reasons, it's
generally better to have a larger hard drive, it has nothing to
do with how many desktop icons you have.

Please reply to the newsgroup

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 03:59:08 -0700, "Vesta" <jtx472@netzero.com>
wrote:

>Does the number of desktop icons have anything to do with computer speed?

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

No.

....Alan
--

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 03:59:08 -0700, "Vesta" <jtx472@netzero.com> wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers:

>Does the number of desktop icons have anything to do with computer speed? I
>have about 25 on my desktop and a friend tells me that many will slow down my
>computer. Thanks

Only during startup and the occasional desktop refresh. 25 is not many.