how to restart my window xp?

i have changed the motherboard of my computer today. However, i cannot
restart my window and the computer restart again and again after the
self test. I tried to go into the repair option of window xp.
Unfortunately, i forget the administrator password. What can i do next?
14 answers Last reply
More about restart window

    my xp is home edition.

    when i hit F8 in the 1st screen, it ask me to select boot device only.
    I cant reach the window logo screen.

    can u tell me in detail?

    thanks

    Some motherboards will ask for F8 to select the boot device - select the
    appropriate drive and continue. As soon as the screen starts to show Windows

    "kf4380@gmail.com" wrote:

    > my xp is home edition.
    >
    > when i hit F8 in the 1st screen, it ask me to select boot device only.
    > I cant reach the window logo screen.
    >
    > can u tell me in detail?
    >
    > thanks

    after i pressed F8 immediately after the screen started, i can enter
    the safe mode. However, when i selected the safe mode, it reboot again
    and returned to the very beginning.

    i really have no idea......

    Hi,

    Don't hit 'r' at the first prompt when you boot the WinXP CD, that enters
    the Recovery Console which is not what you want at this point, instead
    continue with setup. Hit F8 at the license screen, then you should be
    offered the opportunity to repair the existing installation.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    <kf4380@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >i have changed the motherboard of my computer today. However, i cannot
    > restart my window and the computer restart again and again after the
    > self test. I tried to go into the repair option of window xp.
    > Unfortunately, i forget the administrator password. What can i do next?

    after i pressed F8 immediately after the screen started, i can enter
    the safe mode. However, when i selected the safe mode, it reboot again
    and returned to the very beginning.

    i really have no idea......

    it seems no simple way to resolve the problem

    kf4380@gmail.com wrote:
    > i have changed the motherboard of my computer today. However, i cannot
    > restart my window and the computer restart again and again after the
    > self test. I tried to go into the repair option of window xp.
    > Unfortunately, i forget the administrator password. What can i do next?

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
    new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new
    motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers,
    same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
    originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
    upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
    You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
    you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
    Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
    foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
    is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
    old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
    "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
    reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
    than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
    120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    You misunderstand what Rick posted. Please follow these steps to do a
    Repair install:

    1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM
    drive, and then restart your computer.
    2. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message appears on the
    screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

    Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD-ROM or
    DVD-ROM drive. For more information about how to configure your computer
    to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, see your computer's
    documentation or contact your computer manufacturer.

    3. You receive the following message on the Welcome to Setup screen that
    appears:
    This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run
    on your computer:

    To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

    To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

    To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

    Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.

    4. On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to
    the license agreement. (this was the F8 selection that Rick meant)

    5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in
    the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

    6. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall
    Windows XP. After you repair Windows XP, you may have to reactivate your
    copy of Windows XP.

    --

    ....Sky

    Tom "Sky" King
    =============

    kf4380@gmail.com wrote:
    > my xp is home edition.
    >
    > when i hit F8 in the 1st screen, it ask me to select boot device
    > only. I cant reach the window logo screen.

    Home or Prof?

    --
    Windows Update issues?
    http://www.fermu.com/content/category/5/76/37/lang,us/

    José Gallardo wrote:
    > Home or Prof?

    What possible difference would that make?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    You are pressing F8 and you have never seen the screen that shown you the
    software license.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    > it seems no simple way to resolve the problem

    In XP Home you can log in using "Admnistrator" account which usually has
    a blank password.

    --

    José Gallardo wrote:
    > In XP Home you can log in using "Admnistrator" account which usually has
    > a blank password.

    Even if one were so careless as to leave the Administrator account's
    password blank, that still would have no bearing upon the fact that the
    OP is trying to start WinXP on completely different hardware. He/she'll
    still have to perform a repair installation of the OS.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Yes, you are right, bu:

    > Unfortunately, i forget the administrator password. What can i do
    > next?

    Moreover, I did not mean administrator account password, but
    "Administrator" user password. When you install XP Home, you are not
    prompted to type in any password.

    --

    > José Gallardo wrote:
    >> In XP Home you can log in using "Admnistrator" account which usually
    >> has a blank password.
    >>

    > Even if one were so careless as to leave the Administrator account's
    > password blank, that still would have no bearing upon the fact that
    > the OP is trying to start WinXP on completely different hardware.
    > He/she'll still have to perform a repair installation of the OS.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > having both at once. - RAH

Windows XP Microsoft Motherboards Computers