Streaming Divx movies

Rich

Rich <richward@despammed.com> wrote in
news:c05mk053pgatqndhms144a7el34u8qvlr0@4ax.com:

> Its 11Meg, and runs at about 400-500k a second. Over a standard
> network wire it all works fine at around 150-200k, but wifi it stops
> when the screen moves around a lot, explosions etc.
>
> Any ideas how to get it more stable.

Try defragging your hard drive... that may help. However, most likely the
only thing you can do is to upgrade to Wireless G. I've found 802.11b to be
too slow to run streaming video reliably.

Just remember, 802.11b may advertise 11mbit/s, but in reality it only runs
at about 5mbit/s - 6mbit/s... and that speed is shared by all the users of
the access point.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

> It can't be a speed issue as I can copy and paste a file over the
> network at 400-500k a second. The problem seems to be when I try and
> play the files over the network the speed drops down to the 150-200k

What bitrate are these files encoded at? What is the size of the file and
what is the length of the movie?

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Rich

Use VLC (http://www.videolan.org/) to stream it at higher compression.

Rich wrote:

Glenn

Try decoding at a lower resolution and see if that helps increase the framerate.