This should work, right?

mattb

Distinguished
May 25, 2001
I was going to upgrade my Asus A7A266 board from PC133 RAM and a 1GHz Athlon TBird to PC2100 RAM and an AthlonXP 2100+.
That upgrade didn't go too well and I somehow killed my mobo after I put the new CPU in (the ram showed up OK in POST before I swapped CPUs). I decided to just replace it with a Biostar M7NCD Pro and be EXTRA careful with static this time.
I put the CPU and RAM in and now when I power up the fans spin but I get no video. Then the board powers down (fans stop) and I get a low/high alternating error beep.
Is this a sign that I've got a bad component (I would guess the CPU) or do I have a bad combination of components? I thought these would all be compatible since that mobo supports a variety of bus speeds. I also can't get my old CPU to work in the new mobo, so I don't know what's up. I wonder if the new CPU is killing mobo's, but have no good way to test that theory.
I have a tech support request in to Biostar but thought I'd get some opinions here too. Any ideas? Am I making a mistake by combining these? Thanks!

Matt

"If you understood everything i said, you'd be me" --Miles Davis

Saudakar

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
It should work out fine!

What type is your power-supply, power and manufactor?

Make sure the CMOS jumper is set right, check your manual, should be at boot not clear while booting.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Low/High beep indicates a power problem. It could be your power supply, but then again, it could be that the new board uses one fewer mounting studs than the last one, and is grounded at that spot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>