Grunt_Lite

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
On the asus A7N8X there is a small chip on the corner with a sticker on it listing the bios version Im guessing this is the chip with the Bios. If someone was to take that chip out and replace it with another from a board of exactly same make and rev would the board boot up and work normaly?

P.S You can take it out I tried ;)

These things are harder to think of than I thought.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Grunt_Lite on 08/25/03 11:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Grunt_Lite

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
I had a post here a while ago about a problem with my board and no one could help me. I think I might of had corrupted the bios or something like that happened to them. Now I have a second system with the exact same board I was thinking if I switch the chips and and the broken board boots I know for sure its the bios. So from there I could get my friend to bring me a cip exactly tike that one with fresh bios on there from work. I figure its better than RMA and cheaper.

These things are harder to think of than I thought.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
If it is the BIOS, then there's no reason why it shouldn't work. You would have to bear in mind the possibility that it might still not work, and <i>might</i> even damage the other chip (though this is fairly unlikely).. not to mention you might accidentally damage it yourself while transferring it.

Have a go if you're brave enough by all means, but a safer alternative would be to send off for a pre-flashed chip from Asus. they do charge for it of course ($10 +Post or something? might be more). Even if it still didn't work, you'd at least have a back-up for your other system.

---
The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile:

pat

Expert
This is what is called hot flash.

You remove the BIOS from the board that is working good and put it in your board, without inserting it fully( enough for contact and not too much for easy removal)

You boot with a diskette which has the flash program and the BIOS you need.

Once booted, but before starting the flash program, remove the working BIOS and put the bad one back.

start the flash. should works. Not responsible for any damage that may occur. You do it at your own risk. Post back your experience!

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I was thinking suggesting it, but decided it carries too much risk - more in that you're working with pieces of metal in the case while power is on than anything else.. you drop your pliers and it might be messy... I suppose if you want to give it a go though, carry on.

Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
Just thinking, this would be a great slogan to have above your workbench! We've all been guilty of doing something stupid, but not realising it's our fault until a few frustrated hours have passed... Maybe something like that in 4-inch letters would help? :smile:

---
The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile:

misterg1

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
Please let us all know if the "Hot Flash" works for you. I might be able to give it a go.... Good luck!!
Mr "G"

It's not what you DON'T know that hurts you.. It's not what you Know that hurts you.. It's what you know THAT AIN'T SO - that hurts you!!

endyen

Splendid
Dont try the hot flash!! It was fine with the old bios chip, but with the new type, you will short it out. By all means try your new bos chip in the other board, but make sure you put it in right way round. Good luck, I do think it will work.