Looping reboot

I had a problem with and extremely slow WMI when checking my connection
status. I checked the MS KB and saw that there is a fix in SP2. As I had SP2
already installed I thought the best thing to do was to remove it and
reinstall it. The remove worked succesfully and the install of SP2 appeared
to work OK. However when the PC rebooted it hanged in the boot process. I
then tried to boot from the original windows CD and attempt a repair. Now the
PC constantly boots and gets as far as loading mup.sys before rebooting again.

I cannot get a command line prompt nor can I get into safe mode !

I have another copy of XP on another drive and am able to boot from it so I
can look at the original disk. The boot.ini file appears to be OK. Scandisk
does not report any errors nor does Norton AV.

I believe that SFC will only check the location from where the current OS is
running from. So how can I check the files on the original disk ?

I don't really want to have to wipe the original disk and reload all of the
software again. If I reload windows will I lose of of my network settings ?

Any suggestions ?
6 answers Last reply
More about looping reboot

    In news:71AA5965-FD32-49DD-9664-8DCBEFC75EF4@microsoft.com,
    Gizzo <Gizzo@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I had a problem with and extremely slow WMI when checking my
    > connection status. I checked the MS KB and saw that there is a fix in
    > SP2. As I had SP2 already installed I thought the best thing to do
    > was to remove it and reinstall it. The remove worked succesfully and
    > the install of SP2 appeared to work OK. However when the PC rebooted
    > it hanged in the boot process. I then tried to boot from the original
    > windows CD and attempt a repair. Now the PC constantly boots and gets
    > as far as loading mup.sys before rebooting again.
    >
    > I cannot get a command line prompt nor can I get into safe mode !
    >
    > I have another copy of XP on another drive and am able to boot from
    > it so I can look at the original disk. The boot.ini file appears to
    > be OK. Scandisk does not report any errors nor does Norton AV.
    >
    > I believe that SFC will only check the location from where the
    > current OS is running from. So how can I check the files on the
    > original disk ?
    >
    > I don't really want to have to wipe the original disk and reload all
    > of the software again. If I reload windows will I lose of of my
    > network settings ?
    >
    > Any suggestions ?

    When you say you say you attempted a repair did you use recovery console or
    did you attempt a repair installation?

    Repair Installation of XP :
    http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general/xprepair.html

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    Galen

    I tried to do a repair initially using the recovery console. This did not
    work so I tried the repair option when you opt to install windows. This did
    not work either. This was probably unwise as SP2 was installed and I have
    probably overwritten to SP2 files with the original files from the CD.

    I have just obtained a new hard disk and will copy my messed up disk onto it
    so I can attempt a recovery on the new disk. If I do anything wrong I can
    always recopy it.

    I did find a KB article 307545 which suggests copying files from the
    c:\windows\repair\system directory. I will give this a try on the copy disk.

    Just in case anybody asks - no I do not have a Umax scanner which is also
    known to cause looping reboots

    Sounds like it could be repairable... galen's question would shed some
    light on what you have already done however.

    -Matt

    --
    matt_fleming

    In news:BA7783AB-DF52-4A2D-A5F7-80055D9436CC@microsoft.com,
    Gizzo <Gizzo@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Galen
    >
    > I tried to do a repair initially using the recovery console. This did
    > not work so I tried the repair option when you opt to install
    > windows. This did not work either. This was probably unwise as SP2
    > was installed and I have probably overwritten to SP2 files with the
    > original files from the CD.
    >
    > I have just obtained a new hard disk and will copy my messed up disk
    > onto it so I can attempt a recovery on the new disk. If I do anything
    > wrong I can always recopy it.
    >
    > I did find a KB article 307545 which suggests copying files from the
    > c:\windows\repair\system directory. I will give this a try on the
    > copy disk.

    Did you put the disk back before you tried a repair installation according
    to the links on the site I gave you? I know that sounds stupid if you did
    but trust me, we get some odd questions, I have to ask... It *might* be so
    hosed that you're stuck backing up and re-installing or doing a side-by-side
    installation. I hope not but it might just be. If nothing else be grateful
    you have the ability to back up you date - that's more than many people
    have.

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    I have been trying all recovery steps from the same start point using a copy
    of the hard disk. I used the Casper disk copy facility several times for
    this. The windows XP repair process keeps rebooting and trying to restart the
    install process.

    I have tried all of the solutions shown on the links on the web page you
    suggested. Each with varying degrees of failure. I think that the XP o/s on
    the disk is too scr*wed up to be of any use. Having burnt the midnight oil
    for s few nights now I have given up and am reinstalling a fresh version of
    windows and all of my software. Luckily I have all of the installation
    software stored in another partition to save me having to hunt for the
    original CDs and logging on to support sites for patches.

    Does anybody know of a utility that will allow me to compare two sets of
    registry files (i.e. current and backup versions ) so that I can identify any
    missing parts of my reinstall procedures ?

    Thanks

Boot Windows XP