Multiple users?

July 25, 2005 3:16:03 PM

After upgrading from W 98SE to Win XP, I have under "Documents and Settings" the
following folders:
All Users
J. Doe_2 (assuming my name is Joe Doe - which it isn't)
Default User.

Question: Since I am the only user of this machine, why three different "user"
folders?
I have already (temporarily) removed the "Default User" folder, and this seems
not to have affected the workings of the machine.

Question:
How can I remove the "_2" from the folder which is my name?
When I try to rename it, it tells me it is a Windows System Folder which can not
be moved or renamed.
I tried to find the "J. Doe_2 " entry in the registry, assuming I could rename
it there, but I could not find it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.

More about : multiple users

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 4:04:23 PM

Windows XP is very different from Windows 98. You should not remove user
accounts without first understanding why they exist and how they are used.
You should learn about the different user accounts from Microsoft's web site
or by searching the web.

In a nutshell: The Default User account contains the default settings that
are applied whenever a new user is added to XP. The All Users account
defines what should appear in the Start menu of every user. There are other
users accounts as well.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> After upgrading from W 98SE to Win XP, I have under "Documents and
Settings" the
> following folders:
> All Users
> J. Doe_2 (assuming my name is Joe Doe - which it isn't)
> Default User.
>
> Question: Since I am the only user of this machine, why three different
"user"
> folders?
> I have already (temporarily) removed the "Default User" folder, and this
seems
> not to have affected the workings of the machine.
>
> Question:
> How can I remove the "_2" from the folder which is my name?
> When I try to rename it, it tells me it is a Windows System Folder which
can not
> be moved or renamed.
> I tried to find the "J. Doe_2 " entry in the registry, assuming I could
rename
> it there, but I could not find it.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> John <><
>
> A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> with an other monkey's monkey.
July 25, 2005 6:49:47 PM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:04:23 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>"John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>> After upgrading from W 98SE to Win XP, I have under "Documents and
>Settings" the
>> following folders:
>> All Users
>> J. Doe_2 (assuming my name is Joe Doe - which it isn't)
>> Default User.
>>
>> Question:
>> How can I remove the "_2" from the folder which is my name?
>> When I try to rename it, it tells me it is a Windows System Folder which
>can not
>> be moved or renamed.
>> I tried to find the "J. Doe_2 " entry in the registry, assuming I could
>rename
>> it there, but I could not find it.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

Thanks for setting me straight on the matter I asked about in the first
question, Ted!

How about the second one (repeated above). Is there an answer to that one?

Thanks!

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
July 29, 2005 3:10:32 AM

John wrote:
>>> After upgrading from W 98SE to Win XP, I have under "Documents and
>>> Settings" the following folders:
>>> All Users
>>> J. Doe_2 (assuming my name is Joe Doe - which it isn't)
>>> Default User.
>>>
>>> Question:
>>> How can I remove the "_2" from the folder which is my name?
>>> When I try to rename it, it tells me it is a Windows System Folder
>>> which can not be moved or renamed.
>>> I tried to find the "J. Doe_2 " entry in the registry, assuming I
>>> could rename it there, but I could not find it.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks for setting me straight on the matter I asked about in the
> first question, Ted!
>
> How about the second one (repeated above). Is there an answer to that
> one?

You shouldn't attempt to rename the folder.
Create a new user, use F.A.S.T. to export and import settings.

(Log in as user A.. Create User B.. Log out as User A, Log in as User B.
Log out as user B, log in as User A and export the files and settings using
the files and settings transport wizard. Log out as user A and log in as
user B and use the files and settings transfer wizard to import what you
just exported. Then you can do what you wish with User A using user B and
you should be all set.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> You shouldn't attempt to rename the folder.
> Create a new user, use F.A.S.T. to export and import settings.
>
> (Log in as user A.. Create User B.. Log out as User A, Log in as User
> B. Log out as user B, log in as User A and export the files and
> settings using the files and settings transport wizard. Log out as
> user A and log in as user B and use the files and settings transfer
> wizard to import what you just exported. Then you can do what you
> wish with User A using user B and you should be all set.)

File and Settings Transfer..
I put "Transport" once. Time to sleep.

--
Shenan Stanley