Default user account

July 25, 2005 4:58:41 PM

In another thread, T Ziegler said:
"
In a nutshell: The Default User account contains the
default settings that
are applied whenever a new user is added to XP. The All
Users account
defines what should appear in the Start menu of every
user. There are other
users accounts as well.
"

Does that mean:
-- Default User is actually more of a template than a
"user"?
-- That if I drop an app into default user, everyone
will get access to it?
-- Or, only New Acconts will get that access?

-- I would then also be interested in a short comment
on the differences between "all users" and "default
user". Perhaps it's the "all NOW" vs "all NEW"?
If so, I've learned something today and can go back
to bed now! Oops; here comes the boss! <g>

Yeh, I know, go try it: I intend to, but this way I
might get better information than empirical testing.
Help sure hasn't helped much!

TIA,

Pop

More about : default user account

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 4:58:42 PM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:58:41 -0400, PopS wrote:

> In another thread, T Ziegler said:
> "
> In a nutshell: The Default User account contains the
> default settings that
> are applied whenever a new user is added to XP. The All
> Users account
> defines what should appear in the Start menu of every
> user. There are other
> users accounts as well.
> "
>
> Does that mean:
> -- Default User is actually more of a template than a
> "user"?
> -- That if I drop an app into default user, everyone
> will get access to it?
> -- Or, only New Acconts will get that access?
>
> -- I would then also be interested in a short comment
> on the differences between "all users" and "default
> user". Perhaps it's the "all NOW" vs "all NEW"?
> If so, I've learned something today and can go back
> to bed now! Oops; here comes the boss! <g>
>
> Yeh, I know, go try it: I intend to, but this way I
> might get better information than empirical testing.
> Help sure hasn't helped much!
>
> TIA,
>
> Pop

Yes, "Default User" is a template account. Suggest leaving the default user
account alone. I think it works better when its a constant and adding
software is not a constant state. If you want to look into customizing it,
the following article covers the topic:

How to create a custom default user profile
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319974

For making programs accessible to all users, suggest using one of the
methods MVP Rick Roger's has outlined on his page here:
http://www.rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

"" wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:58:41 -0400, PopS wrote:
>
> > In another thread, T Ziegler said:
> > "
> > In a nutshell: The Default User account contains the
> > default settings that
> > are applied whenever a new user is added to XP. The All
> > Users account
> > defines what should appear in the Start menu of every
> > user. There are other
> > users accounts as well.
> > "
> >
> > Does that mean:
> > -- Default User is actually more of a template than a
> > "user"?
> > -- That if I drop an app into default user, everyone
> > will get access to it?
> > -- Or, only New Acconts will get that access?
> >
> > -- I would then also be interested in a short comment
> > on the differences between "all users" and "default
> > user". Perhaps it's the "all NOW" vs "all NEW"?
> > If so, I've learned something today and can go back
> > to bed now! Oops; here comes the boss! <g>
> >
> > Yeh, I know, go try it: I intend to, but this way I
> > might get better information than empirical testing.
> > Help sure hasn't helped much!
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Pop
>
> Yes, "Default User" is a template account. Suggest leaving the
> default user
> account alone. I think it works better when its a constant and
> adding
> software is not a constant state. If you want to look into
> customizing it,
> the following article covers the topic:
>
> How to create a custom default user profile
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319974
>
> For making programs accessible to all users, suggest using one
> of the
> methods MVP Rick Roger's has outlined on his page here:
> http://www.rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

The Default User folder should also be made read only using NTFS
permisions to all to avoid virus/malware corupption/attack.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-Default-user-acc...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1323197
!