Can I convert a Works file to a Word file?

Working on a friends computer abroad with WORKS, I then e-mailed the
finished work to my computer at home ready for my return. Sadly, now I'm
back home, Word 2000 will not open the file except in jibberish.

Can anyone suggest what if anything I can do.

Any help appreciated. Chrissssss.........
4 answers Last reply
More about convert works file word file

    Using Word to open *.wps files.

    From MS Word 2002 Help:

    [[Obtain file format converters
    The most commonly used converters are installed with Microsoft Word by
    default. If you want to open or save in a format that's not installed by
    default, you may need to obtain additional converters.

    Note You can open documents created in Microsoft Word 2000, 97, 95, 6.0,
    or 2.0 directly in Microsoft Word 2002. All data and formatting created in
    these versions of Word are fully supported in Word 2002.

    Converters supplied with Word:
    Opening or saving in Word:
    Microsoft Works 4.0 for Windows
    Opens and saves Works 4.0 files.
    Microsoft Works 2000 for Windows
    Opens and saves Works 2000 files.

    Convert a single file from another file format
    1. On the File menu, click Open.
    2. Locate the file you want to open, and then click Open.

    Convert several documents at once
    1. Place the documents you want to convert in a single folder.
    2. On the File menu, click New.
    3. In the New Document task pane, under New from template, click General
    templates.
    4. Click the Other Documents tab.
    5. Double-click Batch Conversion Wizard.
    6. Follow the directions on the screen.]]
    -----

    Works 6.0 Converter for Works and Word Users
    The Works 6.0 Converter allows you to convert word processor documents
    created in Microsoft Works 6.0 to Microsoft Word and other Works programs.
    Specifically, this converter works with Works 2000, 4.5, and 4.x, and Word
    2002, 2000, and 97 on machines running Microsoft Windows® 98, 2000
    Professional, Millennium Edition, and XP.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b9e11e83-f51b-4977-b572-8c042df802c1&displaylang=en

    Works 2000 Converter for Word 97/2000 Users
    The Works 2000 converter allows you to open a Works 2000 .wps file in Word
    and to save a Word document as a Works 2000 .wps file.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=32e7205a-3880-4416-9260-57a96c8a9a76&DisplayLang=en

    Works Converter for Import/Export of Works Word Processor (.wps) Documents
    (Wp2krtf.exe) Text Converter for Works 4.x

    In order to open a word processor document (.wps) created in Microsoft Works
    4.x in Microsoft Works 2000, Microsoft Word 2000, or Microsoft Word 97, or a
    word processor document created in Works 2000, Word 2000, or Word 97 in
    Microsoft Works 4.x, you need to download and install the Wp2krtf.exe text
    converter.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b16eb3c-6df6-4545-89ff-05c627fba36b&DisplayLang=en

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:dc3kvg$plu$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk,
    Chrisssssss......... <chris@newsgroupinfo.wanadoo.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
    > Working on a friends computer abroad with WORKS, I then e-mailed the
    > finished work to my computer at home ready for my return. Sadly, now I'm
    > back home, Word 2000 will not open the file except in jibberish.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what if anything I can do.
    >
    > Any help appreciated. Chrissssss.........

    Many thanks Wesley. I've downloaded the converter and it's worked a treat. I
    owe you a pint. Many thanks, Chrissss.....

    Keep having fun.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:dc3n68$re1$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk,
    Chrisssssss......... <chris@newsgroupinfo.wanadoo.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
    > Many thanks Wesley. I've downloaded the converter and it's worked a
    > treat. I owe you a pint. Many thanks, Chrissss.....

    You may want to consider in the future save.as in a TEXT format as it read
    by all PCs in the world or in another common format; write.

    The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his
    absolute property - either as a child, a wife, or a concubine - must delay
    the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a
    great power among men.

    Winston Churchill - London, England
    http://www.winstonchurchill.org

    "Chrisssssss........." <chris@newsgroupinfo.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Working on a friends computer abroad with WORKS, I then e-mailed the
    > finished work to my computer at home ready for my return. Sadly, now I'm
    > back home, Word 2000 will not open the file except in jibberish.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what if anything I can do.
    >
    > Any help appreciated. Chrissssss.........

Computers Microsoft Windows XP