cant see no lights man!!!

steviemo03

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
hi guys
i have recently bulit my own pc and am very proud!!!
but as usual with my projects there is a slight hitch, "this thing is more fragile than a ducati".
there is no Hdrive light nothing nada zilth.
nice indgo glow from lian le case led`s, but no red light when the drive spins up!!!
all the plugs are in the right places, but there is a bit in the manual that says you can have a green led for the drive works same as standard <move a jumper on the board> left it alone at first,,, nothing, moved jumper along one, nothing, there is a green and blue plugs on the board and i dont know if i have to plug the led cable into one of them, when i folled the manul for the standard setting...
any advise, tips would be duly recieved.

chaintech 7njs ultra zenith <Mboard>
amd 2200xp
audigy s.cound
gforce3 Ti200 <510mhz> 128mb
barracuda 7200.7 40gig.

ps its drivivg me mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try switching some of the leads around with the system off. All are low voltage, and you may have some turned the wrong way. Use the manual or the white id labels for reference. System posting ok?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMG! LMAO. Let's see what LED means!

Light...
Emitting...
Diode...

And a DIODE is an electronic component that only allows electricity to pass in one direction...in theory. In practice it has extremely high resistance in one direction and relatively low resistance in the other direction. Diods do have polarity.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
wow...

I learn something every day...

I always thought that it did not matter which way you plugged in the front pannel LEDs...

Although why would they consider it a diode if polarity did not matter...guess that was a stupid thought

Oh well...shouldn't meddle in electronic matters...as i know very little about that stuff

Proud owner of DOS 3.3 :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A lot of older cases used mini lightbulbs instead of diods, and light bulbs being simple resistors have no polarity. But we're living in the age of modern computers now.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>