Norton Protection; Access Denied

After adding my computer to a new network, I get the following error:

Norton Protection "Attention: Access Denied, Drive C"

I have read

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/docid/2001122707472207?OpenDoc
ument&ExpandSection=1&Src=sg#_Section1

and made sure that the Administrator and System have all rights to the
drive. I still get the error.

Help!
9 answers Last reply
More about norton protection access denied

    Many in these newsgroups would say your first and only problem is having
    Norton installed on your computer and they would recomend removing it.

    "JimmyJam" <jimmy@a0l.com> wrote in message
    > After adding my computer to a new network, I get the following error:
    >
    > Norton Protection "Attention: Access Denied, Drive C"
    >
    > I have read
    >
    > http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/docid/2001122707472207?OpenDoc
    > ument&ExpandSection=1&Src=sg#_Section1
    >
    > and made sure that the Administrator and System have all rights to the
    > drive. I still get the error.
    >
    > Help!

    Symantec now has online chat, where you can correspond with a Symantec
    technician. I suggest you take advantage of it. I've had good results with
    it so far.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "JimmyJam" <jimmy@a0l.com> wrote in message
    > After adding my computer to a new network, I get the following error:
    >
    > Norton Protection "Attention: Access Denied, Drive C"
    >
    > I have read

    http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/docid/2001122707472207?OpenDoc
    > ument&ExpandSection=1&Src=sg#_Section1
    >
    > and made sure that the Administrator and System have all rights to the
    > drive. I still get the error.
    >
    > Help!

    Unfortunately I would have to agree. Norton is a biiggg problem maker.

    -Matt

    --
    matt_fleming

    Huh!
    Runs perfectly here. And on my sister's machine.
    And on each of my 3 nephew's machines. And on my
    brother's machine. And on two neighbor's machine. And
    on several I've repaired, cleaned, or otherwise
    doctored for viruses/trojans/malware etc.
    Only times I've ever seen it not act well is on
    botched and/or poorly maintained machines.

    Huh!

    "matt_fleming" <matt_fleming.1ssf1t@pcbanter.net> wrote
    in message news:matt_fleming.1ssf1t@pcbanter.net...

    PopS wrote:

    > Huh!
    > Runs perfectly here. And on my sister's machine.
    > And on each of my 3 nephew's machines. And on my
    > brother's machine. And on two neighbor's machine. And
    > on several I've repaired, cleaned, or otherwise
    > doctored for viruses/trojans/malware etc.
    > Only times I've ever seen it not act well is on
    > botched and/or poorly maintained machines.

    That's nice. I'm glad the program works for you and your family. Other
    people have different experiences with Norton products on perfectly
    maintained machines. Do you have a solution to the OP's question?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    I have used norton for decades (? since DOS version 2) and sometimes it
    saves me and sometimes it messes me up. In this case, it turns its own
    auto protection off! Now, the question is, by getting itself out of the
    way, is it really the error i thought it was? or is it really saving me!?

    Malke <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in

    > PopS wrote:
    >
    >> Huh!
    >> Runs perfectly here. And on my sister's machine.
    >> And on each of my 3 nephew's machines. And on my
    >> brother's machine. And on two neighbor's machine. And
    >> on several I've repaired, cleaned, or otherwise
    >> doctored for viruses/trojans/malware etc.
    >> Only times I've ever seen it not act well is on
    >> botched and/or poorly maintained machines.
    >>

    > That's nice. I'm glad the program works for you and your family. Other
    > people have different experiences with Norton products on perfectly
    > maintained machines. Do you have a solution to the OP's question?
    >
    > Malke

    > PopS wrote:
    >
    >> Huh!
    >> Runs perfectly here. And on my sister's machine.
    >> And on each of my 3 nephew's machines. And on my
    >> brother's machine. And on two neighbor's machine.
    >> And
    >> on several I've repaired, cleaned, or otherwise
    >> doctored for viruses/trojans/malware etc.
    >> Only times I've ever seen it not act well is on
    >> botched and/or poorly maintained machines.
    >>

    > That's nice. I'm glad the program works for you and
    > your family. Other
    > people have different experiences with Norton
    > products on perfectly
    > maintained machines. Do you have a solution to the
    > OP's question?
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Unfortunately I do, as I feel sure you also do, but
    he'd think I was confronting him and just start an
    arguement. So I stuck to his negative comments. It
    will work fine in proper circumstances and his
    allegations are untrue.

    Pop

    No, I don't believe there are any instances where auto
    protect should turn off on its own, and especially not
    to save you from anything, not even yourself <g>.
    I had that same problem a couple years ago I'd
    guess it was now, and I recall it was a left-over of a
    virus at that time; one that was caught but not
    completely cleaned. At the same time I had an
    inability to access McAffee or Symantec too but they
    were all easily repaired.
    Unfortunately I cannot recall exactly what it was
    called. I'd suggest a good virus scan followed by
    adware and malware scans, after updating them all
    before scanning.
    If your'e not aware of how to scan for malware etc.,
    post back and I'm sure you'll get lots of advice. A
    firewall is also advisable if you don't already run
    one. XP has a firewall, but there are others available
    that are more inclusive and useful, IMO, including a
    Beat from MS.

    HTH
    Pop

    >I have used norton for decades (? since DOS version 2)
    >and sometimes it
    > saves me and sometimes it messes me up. In this
    > case, it turns its own
    > auto protection off! Now, the question is, by
    > getting itself out of the
    > way, is it really the error i thought it was? or is
    > it really saving me!?
    >
    > Malke <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in
    >
    >> PopS wrote:
    >>
    >>> Huh!
    >>> Runs perfectly here. And on my sister's machine.
    >>> And on each of my 3 nephew's machines. And on my
    >>> brother's machine. And on two neighbor's machine.
    >>> And
    >>> on several I've repaired, cleaned, or otherwise
    >>> doctored for viruses/trojans/malware etc.
    >>> Only times I've ever seen it not act well is on
    >>> botched and/or poorly maintained machines.
    >>>

    >> That's nice. I'm glad the program works for you and
    >> your family. Other
    >> people have different experiences with Norton
    >> products on perfectly
    >> maintained machines. Do you have a solution to the
    >> OP's question?
    >>
    >> Malke

    We're clean here. This is a new installation. I ran NAV on it and have
    had a firewall on it (hardware and software). I can reproduce / provoke
    it, but once i have it provoked, i havent figured out how to set the admin
    permissions to get rid of it -- Norton's instructions dont fit the
    situation, as I already have it set as they suggest.

Norton Windows XP