Norton Protection; Access Denied

July 26, 2005 4:30:46 AM

After adding my computer to a new network, I get the following error:

Norton Protection "Attention: Access Denied, Drive C"

I have read

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/docid/2001...
ument&ExpandSection=1&Src=sg#_Section1

and made sure that the Administrator and System have all rights to the
drive. I still get the error.

Help!
July 26, 2005 4:30:47 AM

Many in these newsgroups would say your first and only problem is having
Norton installed on your computer and they would recomend removing it.

"JimmyJam" <jimmy@a0l.com> wrote in message
> After adding my computer to a new network, I get the following error:
>
> Norton Protection "Attention: Access Denied, Drive C"
>
> I have read
>
> http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/docid/2001...
> ument&ExpandSection=1&Src=sg#_Section1
>
> and made sure that the Administrator and System have all rights to the
> drive. I still get the error.
>
> Help!
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 1:26:27 PM

Symantec now has online chat, where you can correspond with a Symantec
technician. I suggest you take advantage of it. I've had good results with
it so far.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"JimmyJam" <jimmy@a0l.com> wrote in message
> After adding my computer to a new network, I get the following error:
>
> Norton Protection "Attention: Access Denied, Drive C"
>
> I have read

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/docid/2001...
> ument&ExpandSection=1&Src=sg#_Section1
>
> and made sure that the Administrator and System have all rights to the
> drive. I still get the error.
>
> Help!
July 26, 2005 5:31:57 PM

Unfortunately I would have to agree. Norton is a biiggg problem maker.

-Matt

--
matt_fleming
July 26, 2005 8:17:25 PM

Huh!
Runs perfectly here. And on my sister's machine.
And on each of my 3 nephew's machines. And on my
brother's machine. And on two neighbor's machine. And
on several I've repaired, cleaned, or otherwise
doctored for viruses/trojans/malware etc.
Only times I've ever seen it not act well is on
botched and/or poorly maintained machines.

Huh!

"matt_fleming" <matt_fleming.1ssf1t@pcbanter.net> wrote
in message news:matt_fleming.1ssf1t@pcbanter.net...

> Unfortunately I would have to agree. Norton is a
> biiggg problem maker.
>
> -Matt
>
> JimmyJam Wrote:
>> After adding my computer to a new network, I get the
>> following error:
>>
>> Norton Protection "Attention: Access Denied, Drive
>> C"
>>
>> I have read
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/8sbc7
>> ument&ExpandSection=1&Src=sg#_Section1
>>
>> and made sure that the Administrator and System have
>> all rights to the
>> drive. I still get the error.
>>
>> Help!
>

> --
> matt_fleming
July 27, 2005 11:33:21 AM

PopS wrote:

> Huh!
> Runs perfectly here. And on my sister's machine.
> And on each of my 3 nephew's machines. And on my
> brother's machine. And on two neighbor's machine. And
> on several I've repaired, cleaned, or otherwise
> doctored for viruses/trojans/malware etc.
> Only times I've ever seen it not act well is on
> botched and/or poorly maintained machines.

That's nice. I'm glad the program works for you and your family. Other
people have different experiences with Norton products on perfectly
maintained machines. Do you have a solution to the OP's question?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I have used norton for decades (? since DOS version 2) and sometimes it
saves me and sometimes it messes me up. In this case, it turns its own
auto protection off! Now, the question is, by getting itself out of the
way, is it really the error i thought it was? or is it really saving me!?

Malke <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in

> PopS wrote:
>
>> Huh!
>> Runs perfectly here. And on my sister's machine.
>> And on each of my 3 nephew's machines. And on my
>> brother's machine. And on two neighbor's machine. And
>> on several I've repaired, cleaned, or otherwise
>> doctored for viruses/trojans/malware etc.
>> Only times I've ever seen it not act well is on
>> botched and/or poorly maintained machines.
>>

> That's nice. I'm glad the program works for you and your family. Other
> people have different experiences with Norton products on perfectly
> maintained machines. Do you have a solution to the OP's question?
>
> Malke
July 31, 2005 4:37:31 PM

> PopS wrote:
>
>> Huh!
>> Runs perfectly here. And on my sister's machine.
>> And on each of my 3 nephew's machines. And on my
>> brother's machine. And on two neighbor's machine.
>> And
>> on several I've repaired, cleaned, or otherwise
>> doctored for viruses/trojans/malware etc.
>> Only times I've ever seen it not act well is on
>> botched and/or poorly maintained machines.
>>

> That's nice. I'm glad the program works for you and
> your family. Other
> people have different experiences with Norton
> products on perfectly
> maintained machines. Do you have a solution to the
> OP's question?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Unfortunately I do, as I feel sure you also do, but
he'd think I was confronting him and just start an
arguement. So I stuck to his negative comments. It
will work fine in proper circumstances and his
allegations are untrue.

Pop
July 31, 2005 4:44:33 PM

No, I don't believe there are any instances where auto
protect should turn off on its own, and especially not
to save you from anything, not even yourself <g>.
I had that same problem a couple years ago I'd
guess it was now, and I recall it was a left-over of a
virus at that time; one that was caught but not
completely cleaned. At the same time I had an
inability to access McAffee or Symantec too but they
were all easily repaired.
Unfortunately I cannot recall exactly what it was
called. I'd suggest a good virus scan followed by
adware and malware scans, after updating them all
before scanning.
If your'e not aware of how to scan for malware etc.,
post back and I'm sure you'll get lots of advice. A
firewall is also advisable if you don't already run
one. XP has a firewall, but there are others available
that are more inclusive and useful, IMO, including a
Beat from MS.

HTH
Pop

>I have used norton for decades (? since DOS version 2)
>and sometimes it
> saves me and sometimes it messes me up. In this
> case, it turns its own
> auto protection off! Now, the question is, by
> getting itself out of the
> way, is it really the error i thought it was? or is
> it really saving me!?
>
> Malke <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in
>
>> PopS wrote:
>>
>>> Huh!
>>> Runs perfectly here. And on my sister's machine.
>>> And on each of my 3 nephew's machines. And on my
>>> brother's machine. And on two neighbor's machine.
>>> And
>>> on several I've repaired, cleaned, or otherwise
>>> doctored for viruses/trojans/malware etc.
>>> Only times I've ever seen it not act well is on
>>> botched and/or poorly maintained machines.
>>>

>> That's nice. I'm glad the program works for you and
>> your family. Other
>> people have different experiences with Norton
>> products on perfectly
>> maintained machines. Do you have a solution to the
>> OP's question?
>>
>> Malke

August 1, 2005 1:23:40 AM

We're clean here. This is a new installation. I ran NAV on it and have
had a firewall on it (hardware and software). I can reproduce / provoke
it, but once i have it provoked, i havent figured out how to set the admin
permissions to get rid of it -- Norton's instructions dont fit the
situation, as I already have it set as they suggest.

!