domain

Hy! When i install windows xp, at netowrk configuration, it ask me if i'm part of a domain. What is a domain?

strange_girl978@yahoo.com
6 answers Last reply
More about domain

    A domain is a network managed from a server. One of the servers in the
    network is the Domain Controller. You find such networks in enterprise
    environments, although sophisicated users sometimes have home domains as
    well.

    You should choose the Workgroup option. If you have more than one computer
    you can create a workgroup home network later so remember the workgroup name
    you choose here. I believe that workgroup names are case-sensitive but
    don't hold me to that. A workgroup can be created or changed with the
    Networking Wizard.

    <strange_girl978@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hy! When i install windows xp, at netowrk configuration, it ask me if i'm
    > part of a domain. What is a domain?
    >
    > strange_girl978@yahoo.com

    <strange_girl978@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hy! When i install windows xp, at netowrk configuration, it ask me if i'm
    part of a domain. What is a domain?

    > strange_girl978@yahoo.com

    If you have to ask, then you don't have one.

    "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
    message news:eWk1VafkFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > <strange_girl978@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hy! When i install windows xp, at netowrk
    >> configuration, it ask me if i'm
    > part of a domain. What is a domain?
    >>
    >> strange_girl978@yahoo.com
    >
    > If you have to ask, then you don't have one.

    If you have to respond that way, you DO have a problem;
    of acting stupid.

    Hi, PopS:

    Could you please, then, supply the answer to the OP's question?

    Thanks.

    Tom
    "PopS" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message

    | "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
    | message news:eWk1VafkFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    | > <strange_girl978@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | >> Hy! When i install windows xp, at netowrk
    | >> configuration, it ask me if i'm
    | > part of a domain. What is a domain?
    | >>
    | >> strange_girl978@yahoo.com
    | >
    | > If you have to ask, then you don't have one.
    | >

    | If you have to respond that way, you DO have a problem;
    | of acting stupid.

    "PopS" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message

    > "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    >> <strange_girl978@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hy! When i install windows xp, at netowrk configuration, it ask me if
    >>> i'm
    >> part of a domain. What is a domain?
    >>>
    >>> strange_girl978@yahoo.com
    >>
    >> If you have to ask, then you don't have one.
    >>

    > If you have to respond that way, you DO have a problem; of acting stupid.

    Oh deary me!

    Well, i'll be nice and make it easy for you to understand.

    A domain is a collection of all entities that takes part in a central trust
    of security. You can think of a Domain as a perimeter of trust. In which,
    every machine in the domain trusts someone called the domain controller.

    Imagine Domain Controller can central security office. If you try to access
    another computer, the computer will ask Domain Controller if the user is a
    valid user and thereby granting accessing to resources. So in short, a
    domain is a collection of security entities that controls access to
    resources.

    Think of it like a office building where you have a security office that
    says, yes you can enter the building because you are an employee, or says
    "No, you cannot enter because i don't know you."

    If you want to know more, do a search on google.

    Cheers,
    /Dennis

    <strange_girl978@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hy! When i install windows xp, at netowrk configuration, it ask me if i'm
    > part of a domain. What is a domain?
    >
    > strange_girl978@yahoo.com

Domain Configuration Microsoft Windows XP