Vanished

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
I am trying to setup a Shuttle MN31N board, and I am having the worse time ttrying to get BIOS changes to save and restart the system. I am using a 2500+ barton and PC3200. When I set the FSB to 166 and the memory SPD, and press f10, it tells me it is saving the setting and do not reset or shutdown the system. But it doesnt do anything and wont restart. I have no idea what is going on. I can get it to the point where I can start to install Windows XP with the FSB at 100 and Memory running at 166, but the install stops at the point where it says "Setup is Starting Windows". I am soooo lost. Please help me.

Van

Vanished

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
Ok. I am using the Shuttle MN31N mobo with a Barton 2500+ and Buffalo pc3200 memory. I get everything hooked properly, and I have checked multiple times. When I boot up it says I have a XP 1100+ and FSB is running at 200mhz. I go into the BIOS to set the FSB to 166 and I set the memory to run at 100% of the FSB just for now. When I goto Save to CMOS and exit, I get a warning message that the new settings are being saved and to not reset or shutdown the system. Well the system never boots back up just hangs. And I have to shut it off and restart it, and the computer boots back up with the default settings. I can start to load Windows with the default settings but it hangs after it finsihes loading the files. I have no clue of what to try now. For some reason I cannot get the system to reboot after messing with the BIOS.

V

neveroldmilk

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2003
That`s not your mobo`s problem,and it is a setting which is not made right.There is a jumper on your mobo named"FSB jumper",and if you want the mobo support the 166FSB,you must set it right.I guess the default jumper setting is 100~133FSB,so u cannt set the FSB with 166 and cannt save it.At last,u just need to set the jumper to 133~166 FSB mode,and everything will get better.If u donnt know which is the FSB jumper,just look for it in the Users` manual.

Vanished

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
Well that was one of the first things I thought of, and I looked in the manual, and there is no mention of that. I have the same thing on my A7N8X Deluxe and that was why I checked for it. I will go over the mobo itself. But unless I am completely blind, I don't think there is one.

Van

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
it wouldnt boot at all if he did that. wouldnt even get to the bios.
change one thing at a time in the bios to try and isolate the problem. first try setting the fsb but dont do anything else.

pat

Expert
Your memory is DDR 400 and you run your CPU at DDR 333, so forget about the 100%. If you want to do that, then set the CPU @200fsb(ddr400) and the you will be able to run 100%.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
NeverOldMilk:
It's a MicroATX Nforce2 mobo.

Vanished:
What Power supply are you using? (brand & Wattage)

What temperature does the BIOS claim for the CPU, when it's set to 100FSB?

---
The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile: