chrisnorton

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
I have ordered one of the spanking new asus dual xeon motherboards but i am not sure about what power supplies will be suitable. I have read the faq post's and it suggests that the secondary power connector isn't essential. I am thinking of ordering an ernmax 460W to power it, but it doesn't come with a connector that i will fir the power connector on the lower right hand side as shown here http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030827/asuspcdl-02.html any ideas guys?

ClutchWorks

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2003
According to the asus manual for that board it wont boot without that power connector. You need a power supply that conforms to the SSI(Server System Infrastructure) specs. It supplies additional power to the processors. Much like the 4 pin atx12v plug for p4's it essentially is two of those connectors in one(two processors...two additional power sources)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can find a nice server power supply with <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=17-104-973&depa=1" target="_new">This Fortron 550W Retail Supply</A>, which cost $86 and has over 600W peak output. The OEM version is $79 but doesn't include a power switch. And the 460W version is $72, but heck, what's $14 going to buy you besides MORE POWER! hehe

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

chrisnorton

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
all good in theory, however i am in the UK. Managed to find a place in Ireland that sells the antec 550W 24p so think that i will have to go with that.

Thanks for the info tho

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well then, top of the day!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>