,Hi
I have a Dell Latitude C810 laptop running Win Xp every now and then it just
locks up. I am unable to use the keyboard or mouse if attached. I then have
to power down and restart, There appears to be no pattern to when it
hangs/locks up.
Any Thoughts
Regards

You may have a ram module going bad. Check the Dell site for a diagnostic
tool.

"helbert" <helbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ,Hi
> I have a Dell Latitude C810 laptop running Win Xp every now and then it
> just
> locks up. I am unable to use the keyboard or mouse if attached. I then
> have
> to power down and restart, There appears to be no pattern to when it
> hangs/locks up.
> Any Thoughts
> Regards

You could also try a couple of RAM testers.
Grab them below.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

http://www.memtest.org/

/Dennis Chung

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
> You may have a ram module going bad. Check the Dell site for a diagnostic
> tool.
>
> "helbert" <helbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> ,Hi
>> I have a Dell Latitude C810 laptop running Win Xp every now and then it
>> just
>> locks up. I am unable to use the keyboard or mouse if attached. I then
>> have
>> to power down and restart, There appears to be no pattern to when it
>> hangs/locks up.
>> Any Thoughts
>> Regards

Hi there,

"Dennis Chung" <dennis@mvps.org> wrote in message
> You could also try a couple of RAM testers.
> Grab them below.
>
> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
>
> http://www.memtest.org/
>
> /Dennis Chung

One other thing you might try is setting the 'Quick Test' to 'disabled'
in the BIOS setup. If the memory count-up then runs around more than 3 or 4
times before dropping through to allow boot-up to proceed, that might give
you a hint that all is not well in that department. Also, it might be an
idea to try to find out whose RAM your motherboard can accept - and whether
more than one RAM source (e.g. Kingston and Samsung, for instance) have been
mixed in adjacent slots - becasue some motherboards might not accept such a
mixture. Use full ESD precautions when you take the beast apart - or use a
technician who knows why he should.

Good luck

Philip