Acer software onto Dell PC

I have purchased a second hand Dell notebook and I need to format the
drive and reload xp etc, unfortunatey I was not supplied with the disk.
I also have a new ACER pc. Can I use the Acer system and recovery disks
to reload xp on the Dell notebook or will this cause conflict issues?

Thanks

--
chris52

The Windows XP CD that came with the Acer system is only licensed for use on the Acer system. And if its done correctly, may not even install on any other PC than an Acer PC.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"chris52" <chris52.1ssvpr@pcbanter.net> wrote in message news:chris52.1ssvpr@pcbanter.net...

> I have purchased a second hand Dell notebook and I need to format the
> drive and reload xp etc, unfortunatey I was not supplied with the disk.
> I also have a new ACER pc. Can I use the Acer system and recovery disks
> to reload xp on the Dell notebook or will this cause conflict issues?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> chris52

Hi,

It won't work for two reasons. One, the recovery media is specific to the
Acer machine and probably won't install on any other system. Two, the
notebook will likely require specific driver support, and generally these
are only supplied by the manufacturer on the appropriate installation media.
Some may be downloadable, and if so you might be able to use a retail
version.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"chris52" <chris52.1ssvpr@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I have purchased a second hand Dell notebook and I need to format the
> drive and reload xp etc, unfortunatey I was not supplied with the disk.
> I also have a new ACER pc. Can I use the Acer system and recovery disks
> to reload xp on the Dell notebook or will this cause conflict issues?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> chris52

Chris

recovery CD's.. you are going to need them..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"chris52" <chris52.1ssvpr@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I have purchased a second hand Dell notebook and I need to format the
> drive and reload xp etc, unfortunatey I was not supplied with the disk.
> I also have a new ACER pc. Can I use the Acer system and recovery disks
> to reload xp on the Dell notebook or will this cause conflict issues?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> chris52

Did you check the model number on the Dell site to see if the restore
software is preloaded on a hidden partition? If so, the site will give the
keyboard sequence to start the restoration. The Windows product key should
be on the bottom of the laptop.