Motherboard dead? CPU fan not working

Pashtari

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me. My computer has died. For some months it had been crashing and proving a pain to get going again. Sometimes it would boot and sometimes it wouldn't. Sometimes when it failed to boot you could hold down the power button and it would power down. Other times you could hold down the button forever but the only way it would power down would be to turn it off at the socket. Symptoms when it failed to boot included the memory check counting over and over, then it would finally move on until a 'Verifying DMA Pool Data' freeze occurred. These are some of the symptoms I can remember, but I hope they might give a clue as to the problem.

The latest position is that the computer has finally given up. There is a blank display, no 'beeps' and although the hard drive spins, nothing happens. One problem I found was that the CPU fan had siezed, so I've replaced it with a new one. Trouble is that the new fan (which I've confirmed on another PC to be OK) doesn't spin at all. Nor does it work if I try plugging it into another position on the motherboard. I've replaced the old power supply with a new 300W one, but still no improvement.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA - 5SMM and the CPU is an AMD 500 Mhz.

If the CPU has burned out, could it cause the symptoms I describe? Would it prevent the motherboard from 'beeping'?Or is the motherboard likely to be at fault, bearing in mind there is no power to the CPU fan. Or could the RAM cause these problems? I don't want to spend a fortune on unnecessary parts, so it would be useful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks,

John

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If your CPU fan froze up on an old AMD, I don't believe there was any protection on that board to prevent the CPU from burning up and you may have done just that... About all you can do is swap some parts to see if you can isolate the problem. See if you can get ahold of another Socket 7 CPU and try it in your board.

If possible, I would think about upgrading that motherboard and processor!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Correct, overheating protection was not introduced until the palomino core. Sounds like the CPU fan has been failing for a while, so was overheating, and the poor thing's finally given up.
Socket 7 CPU
It's not - it's a Slot A cpu...[EDIT]
No, it is a socket 7. I must be getting tired, I thought he said Athlon, but I guess it's a K6 flavour... Ignore this bit...
[/EDIT]

you could probably find a cheap replacement chip, but you may as well upgrade to something a little newer, depending on what your budget is of course.. and if you get a new mobo and CPU, you don't have to worry about whether the mobo still works..

as Scout says, the easiest way to find out is to try and borrow a compatible Athlon and see if it works.

---
The end is nigh.. (For this post at least) :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 08/29/03 05:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>