Corrupt Windows Installer

July 27, 2005 2:40:28 PM

What could I do, other than doing a clean install of the Xp if my
installer is corrupted ? My system has been updated automatically for
so long that a repair cannot be done because "the version you have is
newer than the one on this CD".

TIA

--
Oderient dum Metuant
July 27, 2005 2:40:29 PM

Khitanian wrote:

> What could I do, other than doing a clean install of the Xp if my
> installer is corrupted ? My system has been updated automatically for
> so long that a repair cannot be done because "the version you have is
> newer than the one on this CD".
>
> TIA

Since you didn't give us any details about why you think your installer
is corrupted, I can only direct you to these fixes by MVP Kelly
Theriot:

Windows Installer Fix (Line 94)

Go to Start/Run and type in:
msiexec /unregister [click ok]

Then Start/Run and type in:
msiexec /regserver [click ok]

More information and workarounds here:

Troubleshooting Windows Installer
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_w.htm#xp_wininstalle...

and Clean Up MSI (Windows Installer)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Khitanian wrote:
> What could I do, other than doing a clean install of the Xp if my
> installer is corrupted ? My system has been updated automatically for
> so long that a repair cannot be done because "the version you have is
> newer than the one on this CD".
>
> TIA

Your windows installer issue.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315346

your repair issue,incorparate sp2 with your original XP CD.
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

--
Mike Pawlak
July 27, 2005 2:40:29 PM

You can create a slipstreamed copy of your xp cd that contains xp + SP2 and
the slipstreamed copy will do the repair install just fine.

I prefer Autostreamer because of its ease of use. Download Autostreamer
from Major Geeks: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4444.html (the
Autostreamer site is harder to download from).

Then download SP2 to your desktop from:
(this is network version but is what you want)

See http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337 for instructions
(if you need to).

This will create an .iso file so put it on your desktop and then burn a cd.

Use the cd to do the repair install. Follow up with as many visits to
Microsoft Update as needed to get up to date.

It really is easy. Good luck.

"Khitanian" <Khitanian@Khitan.com> wrote in message
news:D c6p58$9ke$2@reader01.singnet.com.sg...
> What could I do, other than doing a clean install of the Xp if my
> installer is corrupted ? My system has been updated automatically for so
> long that a repair cannot be done because "the version you have is newer
> than the one on this CD".
>
> TIA
>

> --
> Oderient dum Metuant
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 9:21:34 PM

Thanks guys, for all the tips.

I finally managed to fix by right-clicking the setup file in the CD and
"run as" administrator. This gave me administrator privilages and the
installer ran ok.

--
Oderient dum Metuant
!