sanford

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2005

Win XP Prof SP2; fast user switching turned on; two user accounts.

When I use 'fast user switching' to switch from user 1 to user 2, if,
instead of 'fast switching' back to user 1 (thereby leaving user 2 logged
on), I 'log off' user 2, the monitor screen goes black, all keys go dead,
on-off power switch goes dead. Everything is kaput! The only thing I can
do to get out of this situation then is to unplug the computer and reboot.
Seems that it shouldn't work that way. Am I doing something wrong? Is
there something I don't know? Any help will be eagerly appreciated.
Thanks.

Did this happen before or after you installed SP2?
I found 2 articles on this subject, one deals with xp Media Center edition,
the other with xp home, pro, and 64-bit editions.
SO, for your xp pro, here is the link to the article, which truthfully is
not all that helpful.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328934

I would first try disabling Fast User Switch, clean temp files, etc, reboot,
then try turning fast user switch on again, and I would turn off the
welcome screen off in Display properties.
Then, if that doesn't work, I would uninstall, then reinstall SP2, first
disabling FUS, then, when SP2 is back, try the FUS again. IF that doesn't
work, then I'd think about the hotfix, but I certainly would not pay a dime
for it.

"Sanford" <sanford@spam.net> wrote in message
> Win XP Prof SP2; fast user switching turned on; two user accounts.
>
> When I use 'fast user switching' to switch from user 1 to user 2, if,
> instead of 'fast switching' back to user 1 (thereby leaving user 2 logged
> on), I 'log off' user 2, the monitor screen goes black, all keys go dead,
> on-off power switch goes dead. Everything is kaput! The only thing I can
> do to get out of this situation then is to unplug the computer and reboot.
> Seems that it shouldn't work that way. Am I doing something wrong? Is
> there something I don't know? Any help will be eagerly appreciated.
> Thanks.

sanford

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2005

Thank you, Ivee. That helps. Sanford

"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> Did this happen before or after you installed SP2?
> I found 2 articles on this subject, one deals with xp Media Center
> edition, the other with xp home, pro, and 64-bit editions.
> SO, for your xp pro, here is the link to the article, which truthfully is
> not all that helpful.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328934
>
> I would first try disabling Fast User Switch, clean temp files, etc,
> reboot, then try turning fast user switch on again, and I would turn off
> the welcome screen off in Display properties.
> Then, if that doesn't work, I would uninstall, then reinstall SP2, first
> disabling FUS, then, when SP2 is back, try the FUS again. IF that doesn't
> work, then I'd think about the hotfix, but I certainly would not pay a
> dime for it.
>
> "Sanford" <sanford@spam.net> wrote in message
>> Win XP Prof SP2; fast user switching turned on; two user accounts.
>>
>> When I use 'fast user switching' to switch from user 1 to user 2, if,
>> instead of 'fast switching' back to user 1 (thereby leaving user 2 logged
>> on), I 'log off' user 2, the monitor screen goes black, all keys go dead,
>> on-off power switch goes dead. Everything is kaput! The only thing I
>> can
>> do to get out of this situation then is to unplug the computer and
>> reboot.
>> Seems that it shouldn't work that way. Am I doing something wrong? Is
>> there something I don't know? Any help will be eagerly appreciated.
>> Thanks.

Let us know which one solved your problem so that others can try the same
fix. :)