Serious issue: Computer restarts

Maelmoor

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
I read through some other thread but couldn't find anything that could help me, so here is my problem.

I got a new weeks old computer that worked fine until today, yesterday I installed SP 2 and F-Secure Virus program, I restarted used it for a while and did shut it down as usual.

Today when I started the computer everything went on as normal, the XP loading screen came up but then when the choose user screen should come the computer restarts, I can see the mousepointer but thats all, it goes black and restarts.

I checked the temperature and it's okay, the power supply shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't work when I try to use F8 (so I could at least reach Windows and uninstall the crap).

Here are my specs:
Pentium Northwood 3.0ghz, 512kb cache
Abit IS7 Series Motherboard
Creative Audigy
2x512mb Kingston 400mhz RAM
GeForce 4 TI200 64mb
Samsung DVD
Phillips CD-R
Maxtor 160gb 7200rpm 8mb cache IDE
Hitachi 160gb 7200rpm 8mb cache IDE
Windows XP Pro

Thanks for any kind of help, otherwise I have to reinstall everything which would be many hours work...

Maelmoor - The Pathfinder

Maelmoor

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
Well I can't reach the F8 menu...nothing happens when I press F8 and I pressed a million times.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
oh, because you said the XP splash screen is coming up. The F8 menu is before that.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

Maelmoor

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
Yep but the problem is that the F8 menu doesn't show up at all , I have been pressing F8 as maniac but it doesn't come up..

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
do you happen to have a recovery disk that came with that PC? (also, you have to hit F8 BEFORE the splash screen, usually I hit it on the last scren of the POST)

If you have a recovery disk, you might be able to fix it...

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>