Apple Could Face Antitrust Probe from DOJ, FTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
stupid Apple.

I still can't believe they haven't been sued over the fact that their OS only comes with one web browser. They must feed money into the machine, they usually get away with too much, this is a step in the right direction :)

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I got a feeling apple will buy its way out of this like it does most things since it cant strong arm its way out. But who knows maybe they might have to answer for some of there poor policys =D I really hope thought this isnt just a fine (which to a company like apple is less then a slap on the wrist)

G

Easy defense. This is a CLOSED system. Apple build the h/w and s/w. They need to make sure software are optimized for the unit. Consumer may blame Apple for poor performance (like poor battery) that may be caused by 3rd party developer (i.e. Adobe). Does Kindle need to be able to use other readers?

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
apples only way out is to create a "recommended" list and not limit with what software is used, that way they can cough there way out of when consumers try to blame that there iphone/ipad doesnt work right, they will simply say are you using only the "recommended" software/apps? if not then there is a risk and go deal with that app/company etc..

which IMO would be perfectly fine, and simple to troubleshoot simply remove app and see...

im more then sure they will have to be forced sooner or later, cause closing out other companies isnt right, you cant go and create and say here you go you need to learn a whole new programming language just for us, that doesnt work on any other platform :p
there is a reason why companies make standards... but proprietary lives... to a degree :p

[citation][nom]apple122juice[/nom]Easy defense. This is a CLOSED system. Apple build the h/w and s/w. They need to make sure software are optimized for the unit. Consumer may blame Apple for poor performance (like poor battery) that may be caused by 3rd party developer (i.e. Adobe). Does Kindle need to be able to use other readers?[/citation]
Keep dreaming fanboy and strop drinking that Apple iBranded iApple iJuice.

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Apple has been completely comprised of shit talking and dictating the use of their stuff for a long time now. I've read their EULA for the iPhone developers and it bascially states that you must develop in only 3 languages (Objective C, C, forms of javascript), they can change their EULA at any time w/o notice (which was predictable) and apps must conform immediately or run the risk of being suspended or terminated from being able to use the Apple SDK (which was not predictable and very dickish if I might add), and, to top everything off, "You may not issue any press releases or make any other public statements regarding this Agreement, its terms and conditions, or the relationship of the parties without Apple’s express prior written approval, which may be withheld at Apple’s discretion." So to sum it up, they are telling you what you HAVE to use, how to use it, and reminding you to "behave" yourself or you can't develop for Apple.

IMO, Go Android!

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Next up: Sony to call MS being "anti-competitive" by denying them the ability to develop a BluRay player for the Xbox 360.

Honestly, I think most of the people that are excited about this are iPhone owners who are butthurt that they won't get flash before android phone owners.

[citation][nom]drutort[/nom]apples only way out is to create a "recommended" list and not limit with what software is used, that way they can cough there way out of when consumers try to blame that there iphone/ipad doesnt work right, they will simply say are you using only the "recommended" software/apps? if not then there is a risk and go deal with that app/company etc..which IMO would be perfectly fine, and simple to troubleshoot simply remove app and see...im more then sure they will have to be forced sooner or later, cause closing out other companies isnt right, you cant go and create and say here you go you need to learn a whole new programming language just for us, that doesnt work on any other platform there is a reason why companies make standards... but proprietary lives... to a degree[/citation]
If you think this is a viable option, you haven't been paying attention to the software business long enough. It doesn't matter what warnings you put on your software, if something goes wrong with your product you can get sued for it. Sometimes the government even steps in and fines you (in case of things like health care software and such).

If your EULA is deemed "unreasonable", then you are not protected. Apple is trying to protect itself from problems that it knows will follow if they try something like that.

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]apple122juice[/nom]Easy defense. This is a CLOSED system. Apple build the h/w and s/w. They need to make sure software are optimized for the unit. Consumer may blame Apple for poor performance (like poor battery) that may be caused by 3rd party developer (i.e. Adobe). Does Kindle need to be able to use other readers?[/citation]

How is this a "Closed System"? Companies build their own apps for their stuff, not for Apple. Do you really think companies like UPS or FedEX give two shits about Apple when they make thier "product tracking" apps? Apps have nothing to do with Apple, they merely distribute them and should keep the relationship as such. If they want to filter what they post on the app store, considering they are the distributer, thats fine. But when you force companies that are currently developing for the app store to use other tech that would work perfectly fine, thats crossing the line a smidge. Keep in mind that Microsoft was recently in an anti-trust case with a similar situation.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Looks like Steve Jobs finally did get that new proctologist referral after all - Dr. Ben Dover...

Care for some "soothing ointment" on that Steve?

skevil

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
Adobe: "We're going to give up on Apple and look to other companies such as Google, HTC, etc. in the expanding mobile phone market...blah blah"

*Couple days later*

Headlines: "Apple Could Face Antitrust Probe from DOJ, FTC"

LMFAO, this is great.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Obvious troll is obvious. Seriously though the European union sued microsoft for not bundling any other web browsers with their OS that they made and yet apple gets away with MUCH MUCH more. Anyone remember psystar?

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I have some Apple products that I like and use all the time. But whenever a big company uses its power to be excessively competitive and limit others it should be punished. Capitalism should provide a secure way to make money and should represent a way to warrant the progress of the whole industry. If found guilty make them pay and provide the sanctions. Apple uses a lot the legal system to protect their intellectual property and the legal system works both ways.

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]Capitalism should provide a secure way to make money and should represent a way to warrant the progress of the whole industry.[/citation]

I think that's exactly what capitalism isn't... Actually, I'm not really sure that second part of your sentence even makes sense.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
i loved how they used to complain all about microsoft in the 90s

And now they follow in their footsteps.

Generally secure employment and stuff like that are found in Command Economies(Also called centrally planned economies) where they're planned out.

those types of economies are found in Communist countries, Where North Korea is the most command you get.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]HotRoderX[/nom]I got a feeling apple will buy its way out of this like it does most things since it cant strong arm its way out. But who knows maybe they might have to answer for some of there poor policys =D I really hope thought this isnt just a fine (which to a company like apple is less then a slap on the wrist)[/citation]
It didn't work for Micro$oft when they got into legal trouble with the DoJ over unethical practices like this. I don't see it working for apple either.

Hopefully after a few more antitrust suits apple will get their stuff together. Microsoft finally came around to not being a complete turd, I believe Apple could one day be a worthwhile company, too!

newmodeav

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
I hate what apple is doing.
i just purchased an IPAD, and this stupid, expensive device not only does not have camera, it does not even have a microphone.

it is obvious why, so we will spend another 1000$ in a years, just because we can do skype on this.

and no flash playback, no wmv, no AVI

what else is the technology world is waiting for?
is APPLE going to dictate how to Eat, S, and Sleep?
how far are we going to fall for the pretty slick looking devices they put out?

i hate myself after buying the IPAD.

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]newmodeav[/nom]*crying*[/citation]

Jailbreak it and stop complaining. You should research what you want before you buy it.

"how far are we going to fall for the pretty slick looking devices they put out?"

Don't include the rest of us in your failure.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]newmodeav[/nom]I hate what apple is doing.i just purchased an IPAD, and this stupid, expensive device not only does not have camera, it does not even have a microphone.it is obvious why, so we will spend another 1000$ in a years, just because we can do skype on this.and no flash playback, no wmv, no AVIwhat else is the technology world is waiting for?is APPLE going to dictate how to Eat, S, and Sleep?how far are we going to fall for the pretty slick looking devices they put out?i hate myself after buying the IPAD.[/citation]

If you looked at the product specs before you took out your wallet, you'd know what it did and didn't have and you probably wouldn't have ended up wasting your money. Couple of things, though; the iPad does have a mic and no model costs $1000. The 64GB 3G version costs $830. If this is the model you purchased, then you really should have looked at the specs before you dropped $800 on it. On the bright side, if you bought the 64GB 3G then you can probably still return it because it's only been out a few days. Fairly sure Apple's return policy is two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS