Sign in with
Your question

Buying a Gaming Desktop (mostly for WoW)

Last response: in Video Games
November 14, 2009 6:38:50 PM

I am going to buy a new computer, mostly for playing World of Warcraft, but good enough if i want to upgrade or play some other games. My friend has a $1,600 HP laptop that can play World of Warcraft with almost max graphics without ever lagging. He does not lag in Wintersgrasp, Dalaran, raids ,etc (30fps +). So i deceided to look at some HP desktops.

Under the High Performance i found: HP Pavilion Elite e9200z series

I chose the lowest form they had ($599.99 USD) so i could customize it. So, being in a $900-$1100 USD budget, i chose these specs:

PROCESSOR-- AMD Phenom(TM) II X4 920 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 2MB L2 + 6MB L3 shared, up to 4000MT/s]

Memory-- 6GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs] (Can be upgraded to 8gb)

Video Card-- BFG - NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 OC 1GB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card (NOT INCLUDED WITH COMPUTER. I bought cheapest grahics card i could with the computer because it would be replaced with this)

Monitor-- HP w1858 18.5-inch 16:9 HD Ready Widescreen Monitor

Operating System-- Windows 7 Home Edition (64 bit)

Power Supply-- Corsair - 750W ATX CPU Power Supply

The Video Card and Power Supply are not official because i do not know if they can fit in the tower. I saw a video of the interior and i believe i could squeeze in the Nvidia, since its pretty huge.

Do you guys think this will support World of Warcraft with no lag? If you need any more information please ask.t
November 14, 2009 6:54:29 PM

Main issue of lag will be down to your internet connection and CPU (dependant on how many players are around you mainly, like in dalaran etc)

Would bump the graphics card up to a gt260/5850 or better if you can. Other than that should be fine as it is.
Wouldnt reccomend the gts250 for anything other than a 17-19£ monitor at max settings tho, remember it is essentially a 8800gtx under the heatsink on that card.

Had a 8800gtx myself untill recently (got a 5850) and was fine on max settings anywhere in game but could tell it could have been better (was at 1680x1050 resolution)
November 14, 2009 7:02:58 PM

What does 17-19£ mean? Also, i mean lag FPS wise, not Latency wise, so when you say "CPU", do you mean the Processor?

And also, should i get:

PNY - NVIDIA GeForce XLR8 GTS 260 896MB DDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card

or

BFG - NVIDIA GeForce 260 GTX OC MAXCORE 55 896MB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card

The BFG is cheaper, but what are the pros / cons of each? And will the better one make a big difference?
Related resources
November 14, 2009 7:24:28 PM

if the computer is 'just for' wow, I heard that wow doesn't benefit much from quad core processors. If this is true, then might as well spend an equivalent amount on the fastest dual core processor you can find.

However you might become bored of wow and might then wish that you had a quad core processor. So having a quad core might be best to future proof the system (sorry there are a lot of 'mights' in there).
November 14, 2009 7:50:03 PM

that system will easily play WoW at max settings, since its an old game with low requirements.
November 14, 2009 10:38:25 PM

Well, I much more concerned with if it will play WoW opposed to being able to upgrade it. I don't usually play the most upgraded games anyway, and i always quit WoW and go right back to it a few months later...

Also, how can i tell if that system can use PCI express?

And i am a little confused on which power supply to buy, since i assume the one build in will not handle the GTS 260. Because i see that some power supplies are more expensive, yet have less watts than others. I thought that the higher the watts the better.
November 15, 2009 12:20:54 AM

Actually the processor seems ok, go with it.

However the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 (do you mean GTS 250 or GTX 260?) is a bit weak (if it is GTS 250) but 'should' be ok with wow (what size screen resolution were you planning to play at).

PCI express comes as standard with all modern pc's (PCI express replaced VGA some years ago).

I'm not an expert on power supply units but assume that Corsair - 750W ATX CPU Power Supply would be more than enough.
November 15, 2009 6:24:35 AM

get the gtx 260 with a good quality 550 watt power supply 750 watts is generally used for dual graphics card configurations
November 15, 2009 12:38:21 PM

I do not know what resolution I will use. All i know is that I am getting a 16:9 , 18.5 - 20 inch monitor (depends if I have a few extra dollars). I do not know what would work good for WoW and how it would effect FPS or how much it would effect FPS.

Also, with a 550 watt PSU would i be able to overclock the 260 GTX?(I did not see that the PNY said GTS 260, i thought it said GTX 260).

And also, i am reading on the specs of the card and it says:

2560 x 1600 at 60Hz maximum digital resolution
At 32-bit color for ultrarealistic gaming experiences.

What does that mean, and would this work on Windows 7 64 bit?
November 15, 2009 1:56:27 PM

just means a gtx260 can support up to 2560x1600 resolution and yes a quality 500-550 watt power supply will handle just bout any single graphics card

is win 7 compatible
November 15, 2009 2:12:01 PM

OK so it is windows 7 compatible?

And that is the part i am confused about. "Quality" power supply. I saw Power Supplies that had lower watts than others, but where more expensive than the higher watt one, so i am assuming that that was because the lower one was better quality than the high watt one?

And so what would Power Supply do you suggest, or what brand? I was looking at :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Would that work with the computer and the graphics card?

Also, what is the difference between like BFG, PNY, etc? I saw on a youtube video a PNY Nvidia GTX 260, but i looked it up on Newegg, bestbuy, tigerdirect, and all i can find is BFG Nvidia GTX 260, EVGA. The only one i found was a PNY - Nvidia GTS 260...
November 15, 2009 7:32:30 PM

that is a great power supply but generally corsair,antec,seasonic,silverstone,pc power&cooling are the top brands with and some ocz units also not too bad
November 16, 2009 12:44:19 PM

if you considering a gtx 275 rather step up and try an get an ati 5850 for bout the same price

November 16, 2009 7:48:55 PM

Hmm. Well it is about $50 more. It all depends on how much spare money i get during christmas. It also appears that there aren't that many.

Will this card be able to run on the system im planning on getting, and with:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

??

Also, how much more FPS do you think this will give me opposed to the GTX 275?
November 17, 2009 2:27:03 PM

a 5850 would walk over a gtx 275 in everything but if you wanna save some get an ati 4890 its bout as good as a gtx 275 but cheaper
November 22, 2009 5:09:08 PM

What kind of case and motherboard are you using?
November 22, 2009 5:40:34 PM

Actually, I might make my own PC. I found this site, and this computer build looks pretty good:

http://www.hardware-revolution.com/are-you-ready-for-th...

If you scroll down you will see a table with the parts. The bold ones are the minimum, and the the ones below it are the other options. I will probably choose the AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition.

How is this build?

EDIT: Actually, I just looked at:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274398-31-1000-gaming...

Which comes with a monitor and its only $2,288 without rebates, and i could easily sacrifice the 24" with a 20", take off a lot of money, and still be satisfied. And WoW is more CPU based than GPU, and i hear the i5 can overclock to 4.0ghz, which would probably own WoW, and on top of that an HD 5850, which is nearly as good as the HD 5870. And the Motherboard comes with 2 PCIe 2.0 x 16. AND there is a combo deal for the Motherboard, that comes with 4gb of ram.

So which looks better? I mean that one looks pretty damn amazing for the money...
November 22, 2009 7:03:39 PM

Question 1: Do you already own the GTS 250 or are you planning on buying new?

If you already have the GTS 250, then it will handle just about anything WoW will throw at it, and is a decent performer even in newer titles.

If your buying new, look to some of these other cards, as they are a better investment than a 250 right now.
November 22, 2009 8:59:09 PM

I do not have the GTS 250. I am willing to build the computer that is on this topic:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] g-computer

It looks really good, and it includes the Radeon HD 5850, which would be overkill for WoW, and the Motherboard supports Crossfire, and it is the i5 750, which i think would play WoW no problem...right?

I can alsa buy a 20inch monitor for cheaper, and cut off more money. Because i would be more than satisfied with a 20inch monitor...

November 23, 2009 4:45:41 AM

How much are you looking to spend? If your interested I just threw together a full system for around $1,290. Let me know if you want me to email you the links.

It includes:
19" Monitor
Phenom II x4 925
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
CoolerMaster V8 CPU Cooler
4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750 - 1GB
1 TB HDD
22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive-[Lightscribe Technology]
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Logitech G5 Mouse
November 23, 2009 2:31:49 PM

I'll just second the suggestions others have made. It would be much better to spend a little more on your processor as opposed to your video card since WoW is so processor dependent. I'm not sure what system you are trying to link to but an i5 750 with a Radeon HD 5850 should run WoW maxed without any difficulties.
November 25, 2009 2:04:45 AM

^- lol, by miles.

on my old rig, an athlon x2 5200+ 2.6 ghz and an nvidia 9400gt i could max out wow without issue.

seriously, wow does not require much of a system.
November 25, 2009 4:59:25 AM

You don't need an expensive computer to run wow on max.

I was playing wow at max setting with an E5200 2.5gig intel and a nvidia 9500gt. Come to think of it, I might have ony been running like 1400x1200 resolution or something like that because the higher resolutions made the icons on the screen too small for me to click/see.

I never lagged anywhere. Didn't matter if it was a 40 on 40 battle in alterac valley, wintergrasp or standing Dalaran.

November 25, 2009 5:18:25 AM

Hey seriously you can put together a computer with $500 and play wow on max. That includes monitor too if you get a inexpensive monitor. I bought a Lenovo computer just to play wow. I think it was like $300 back then. I already had a monitor so I just bought an Nvidia 9500gt(99.00 back then) and a new powersupply $60.00. I'm sure you can put something together yourself for less. I paid $300 for a system that probably would have cost $200 to self build. I was lazy.

Wow is an old game. It was old when I quit playing it a year ago. It's very old graphics. I was playing the game on a Pentium 4 2.4gigs with a gig of ram and a Geforce 4200 haha. It didn't run very well, but it played.

My new system 2.5ghz dual core with nvidia 9500gt ran it max graphics at mid resolution. I don't remember how it performed with the highest resolutions since I didn't want that. It made the stuff on the screen too small to click.

If you have a lot of money to spend and don't care, then yea buy all that good stuff, but if all you're playing is wow and don't care to play anything else, then it's a complete waste.
!