Sign in with
Your question

Contemplating building a new system

Last response: in Motherboards
August 29, 2003 5:49:52 PM

Hello everyone, I am thinking about trying to upgrade from my older Dell computer, I currently have a Dell Dimension R350 upgraded with 700mhz pent III, I have a Radeon 8500LE 128mb graphics board, 384Ram Running Win98 currently. I have all the add ons I think I need ,printer,monitor, SCSI scanner, modem CD/dvd drive, cdburner....etc

I enjoy computer gaming and would like to try and upgrade fairly inexpensively if possible. Can I get a barbones system for around $300, or can i build my own for same or get more for it? Can i just stick in my old hard drive to start? Upgrade to Win XP? I was thinking about P4 2.4, but would amd be better? 533? 800fsb? any specific board recommendations?

I really think I could do it myself just a little hesitant I guess, and unfortunately money is a factor... Anyone have any suggestions for me?
Thanks
August 29, 2003 7:10:35 PM

Is it a standard atx case (tower?) and what size is the psu?
August 29, 2003 7:23:07 PM

it is a tower case, dont know if it is standard, i thought i heard somewhere that dell cases were propietary and wouldnt fit standard boards? dont know if this is true?
August 29, 2003 7:39:23 PM

Some are, some aren't. Can you compare the back of the case with a standard one? If the case is ok and you just need proc mobo and ram, you could get an amd xp2500+, an epox board and 2 sticks of 256 meg ddr for $300. Unfortuneately the P4 2.4c sells for $171. Does not leave enough for mb and ram. If you need a case and psu as well, add another $50. roughly.
!