the "July 2005, Cumulative Patch"

rico

I am driving a WindowsXP Home Edition, which is kept up-to-date and has SP1
and 2. On the urging of MS I attempted to install the July Cumulative Patch.
I downloaded the Installer6.exe and saved it. Upon clicking on it I receive
the following:
"Installer 6.exe is not a valid Win 32 application." I sent a request for
help to Microsoft a few days ago but received no answer.
So Experts some of you have already helped me so graciously before. Any
ideas?
Nurmi

You have been had. Run your virus checker.

"rico" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com.NO_SPAM> wrote in message
>I am driving a WindowsXP Home Edition, which is kept up-to-date and has SP1
>and 2. On the urging of MS I attempted to install the July Cumulative
>Patch.
> I downloaded the Installer6.exe and saved it. Upon clicking on it I
> receive the following:
> "Installer 6.exe is not a valid Win 32 application." I sent a request for
> help to Microsoft a few days ago but received no answer.
> So Experts some of you have already helped me so graciously before. Any
> ideas?
> Nurmi

You may have become victim to a mass mailing worm called the Swen-A. It is
distributed under the guise of <installer6.exe> and pretends to be an
announcement from Microsoft. Microsoft DOES NOT email notifications of
updates......that is what Windows Update is for. The following Google
search will tell you about it and the next one is info on the virus:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Installer6.exe&btnG=Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=swen-A
Heirloom, old and don't trust nothin'

"rico" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com.NO_SPAM> wrote in message
>I am driving a WindowsXP Home Edition, which is kept up-to-date and has SP1
>and 2. On the urging of MS I attempted to install the July Cumulative
>Patch.
> I downloaded the Installer6.exe and saved it. Upon clicking on it I
> receive the following:
> "Installer 6.exe is not a valid Win 32 application." I sent a request for
> help to Microsoft a few days ago but received no answer.
> So Experts some of you have already helped me so graciously before. Any
> ideas?
> Nurmi

rico

Thank you!
I have followed your advise and ran the fix Swen.exe file. It went to work
and completed with a msg. "W32.Swen Admin has not been found on your
computer." I ran a search and found the Installer6.exe still where I had
saved it, including the files created when I first opened it.
I am confused> Is it gone or still in the files?
Nurmi

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> You may have become victim to a mass mailing worm called the Swen-A. It
> is distributed under the guise of <installer6.exe> and pretends to be an
> announcement from Microsoft. Microsoft DOES NOT email notifications of
> updates......that is what Windows Update is for. The following Google
> search will tell you about it and the next one is info on the virus:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Installer6.exe&btnG=Search
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=swen-A
> Heirloom, old and don't trust nothin'
>
> "rico" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com.NO_SPAM> wrote in message
>>I am driving a WindowsXP Home Edition, which is kept up-to-date and has
>>SP1 and 2. On the urging of MS I attempted to install the July Cumulative
>>Patch.
>> I downloaded the Installer6.exe and saved it. Upon clicking on it I
>> receive the following:
>> "Installer 6.exe is not a valid Win 32 application." I sent a request
>> for help to Microsoft a few days ago but received no answer.
>> So Experts some of you have already helped me so graciously before. Any
>> ideas?
>> Nurmi

It may be that, based on your original post, that the installer never
worked. I would suggest doing a search for the file and delete to the
Recycle Bin all instances of it. Leave them in your Recycle Bin for a few
days until you have a chance to make sure everything is working properly
before dumping them. Oh yeah, in the future, be very skeptical of any email
purportedly from MS about any sort of update..........they just don't exist.
Heirloom, old and going to bed
now