Start Menu/Programs fly out menu list.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hello everyone.
I hope this is the appropriate NewsGroup.

I am using Windows XP/SP2 a newish computer (6 months) and something
has changed from how it used to be.
From the *Start* Button, there is the further button *Programs*. This
then has the fly-out menu which used to open only the most recently
accessed programs. Typically, after a boot it would show the items
which opened in *Start-Up*, the rest were accessible only by hovering
the mouse cursor over a button showing downward pointing arrows (more
chevron like). This would then open the entire sub menu of programs
to choose from. However, in the past week it now opens in that
expanded view all the time. There is no sign of the little arrows
anymore, and I always end up with a screen full of program lists
whenever I go to Start/Programs.
I have tried all kinds of settings reviews and nothing is helping.
The only thing that I think I did prior, was to remove some of the
*non critical* items found by AdAware. Of course I backed them up
first and have since restored them, but to no avail. I wonder if
anyone knows how I might restore the way it was ? Perhaps I should
also mention that I am in *Classic Windows* view, not the XP View. I
am comfortable with entering the Registry if need be. Thank you in
advance for any help you might give, much appreciated.

Lindsey
My email is *oldlin* not younglin.
8 answers Last reply
More about start menu programs menu list
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,

    Right click the taskbar, choose properties. On the start menu tab, click
    customize. Re-check the option to use personalized menus.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    <linceev@younglin.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:19bhe1ppkmen3lihd31ns4oia5300lr1fe@4ax.com...
    > Hello everyone.
    > I hope this is the appropriate NewsGroup.
    >
    > I am using Windows XP/SP2 a newish computer (6 months) and something
    > has changed from how it used to be.
    > From the *Start* Button, there is the further button *Programs*. This
    > then has the fly-out menu which used to open only the most recently
    > accessed programs. Typically, after a boot it would show the items
    > which opened in *Start-Up*, the rest were accessible only by hovering
    > the mouse cursor over a button showing downward pointing arrows (more
    > chevron like). This would then open the entire sub menu of programs
    > to choose from. However, in the past week it now opens in that
    > expanded view all the time. There is no sign of the little arrows
    > anymore, and I always end up with a screen full of program lists
    > whenever I go to Start/Programs.
    > I have tried all kinds of settings reviews and nothing is helping.
    > The only thing that I think I did prior, was to remove some of the
    > *non critical* items found by AdAware. Of course I backed them up
    > first and have since restored them, but to no avail. I wonder if
    > anyone knows how I might restore the way it was ? Perhaps I should
    > also mention that I am in *Classic Windows* view, not the XP View. I
    > am comfortable with entering the Registry if need be. Thank you in
    > advance for any help you might give, much appreciated.
    >
    > Lindsey
    > My email is *oldlin* not younglin.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:55:33 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Right click the taskbar, choose properties. On the start menu tab, click
    >customize. Re-check the option to use personalized menus.


    Hello Rick,

    Thanks for your response. I went to that area, checked it, and it
    was already ticked. However I unticked it, OK'd it, came out and went
    back in again and reset it, hoping that would wake it up. But alas,
    it did not. Thanks for the suggestion, but it is still as it was.

    Lindsey

    My email is *oldlin* not younglin.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    try going to that same place, Rt click taskbar>properties>start
    menu>customize, and look for 'scroll programs' click on that. Also, you say
    you have classic view. Is that what you have selected for your Startup
    option ( taskbar>properties) or is that what you have selected as your
    'Theme' in Display properties?
    I think that the Personalize menus is for the Favorites menu, which does
    either show ALL favorites that have been saved , or shows Only the most
    recently accessed pages, then has the chevron at the bottom of the menu that
    indicates there are more favorites, depending on if it's enabled or not.

    <linceev@younglin.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:i1nhe1porcco0e4suav5qcrd1i9jd0id09@4ax.com...
    > On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:55:33 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    > <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Right click the taskbar, choose properties. On the start menu tab, click
    >>customize. Re-check the option to use personalized menus.
    >
    >
    > Hello Rick,
    >
    > Thanks for your response. I went to that area, checked it, and it
    > was already ticked. However I unticked it, OK'd it, came out and went
    > back in again and reset it, hoping that would wake it up. But alas,
    > it did not. Thanks for the suggestion, but it is still as it was.
    >
    > Lindsey
    >
    > My email is *oldlin* not younglin.
    >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:03:44 -0500, "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com>
    wrote:

    >try going to that same place, Rt click taskbar>properties>start
    >menu>customize, and look for 'scroll programs' click on that. Also, you say
    >you have classic view. Is that what you have selected for your Startup
    >option ( taskbar>properties) or is that what you have selected as your
    >'Theme' in Display properties?
    >I think that the Personalize menus is for the Favorites menu, which does
    >either show ALL favorites that have been saved , or shows Only the most
    >recently accessed pages, then has the chevron at the bottom of the menu that
    >indicates there are more favorites, depending on if it's enabled or not.
    >
    ><linceev@younglin.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >news:i1nhe1porcco0e4suav5qcrd1i9jd0id09@4ax.com...
    >> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:55:33 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    >> <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Right click the taskbar, choose properties. On the start menu tab, click
    >>>customize. Re-check the option to use personalized menus.
    >>
    >>
    >> Hello Rick,
    >>
    >> Thanks for your response. I went to that area, checked it, and it
    >> was already ticked. However I unticked it, OK'd it, came out and went
    >> back in again and reset it, hoping that would wake it up. But alas,
    >> it did not. Thanks for the suggestion, but it is still as it was.
    >>
    >> Lindsey
    >>
    >> My email is *oldlin* not younglin.
    >>
    >

    Hello lvee,

    Classic View refers to my Desktop and windows theme. So it looks more
    like Old Windows 95/98. I have had that set since I got the puter so
    it is a not a new element. I tried what you said, looking for
    scroll. It was already checked, but I unchecked it and re-checked it
    like before with Rick's suggestion. The problem remains.

    Thanks for your suggestion. I rather thought this was not going to be
    an easy fix. For the sake of clarity, I am referring to the listing
    of *programs* hanging off the Start Menu. They now all appear
    whereas before they did not until I hovered my mouse over the down
    chevrons when the menu would open fully.

    Thanks everyone. I will be patient if you will <g>

    Lindsey

    my email is *oldlin* not younglin
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    The Classic Windows theme/desktop does not include the start menu. You can
    have the double-row XP version of the start menu even if you choose the
    Windows Classic theme. I've done so for years.

    Even though you'll be redoing what you've already done, let's try this.
    Right click on the start button. Select properties. Select the Start Menu
    tab. Make sure you are set to Classic Windows here (radio button). Select
    Customize (button). Check/uncheck the Personalized menu item. Make any
    other changes you wish here. Note that you need to exit saving changes
    between disabling and enabling personalized/classic menus.


    "linceev@oldlin.freeserve.co.uk" wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:03:44 -0500, "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >try going to that same place, Rt click taskbar>properties>start
    > >menu>customize, and look for 'scroll programs' click on that. Also, you say
    > >you have classic view. Is that what you have selected for your Startup
    > >option ( taskbar>properties) or is that what you have selected as your
    > >'Theme' in Display properties?
    > >I think that the Personalize menus is for the Favorites menu, which does
    > >either show ALL favorites that have been saved , or shows Only the most
    > >recently accessed pages, then has the chevron at the bottom of the menu that
    > >indicates there are more favorites, depending on if it's enabled or not.
    > >
    > ><linceev@younglin.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >news:i1nhe1porcco0e4suav5qcrd1i9jd0id09@4ax.com...
    > >> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:55:33 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    > >> <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>>Hi,
    > >>>
    > >>>Right click the taskbar, choose properties. On the start menu tab, click
    > >>>customize. Re-check the option to use personalized menus.
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> Hello Rick,
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for your response. I went to that area, checked it, and it
    > >> was already ticked. However I unticked it, OK'd it, came out and went
    > >> back in again and reset it, hoping that would wake it up. But alas,
    > >> it did not. Thanks for the suggestion, but it is still as it was.
    > >>
    > >> Lindsey
    > >>
    > >> My email is *oldlin* not younglin.
    > >>
    > >
    >
    > Hello lvee,
    >
    > Classic View refers to my Desktop and windows theme. So it looks more
    > like Old Windows 95/98. I have had that set since I got the puter so
    > it is a not a new element. I tried what you said, looking for
    > scroll. It was already checked, but I unchecked it and re-checked it
    > like before with Rick's suggestion. The problem remains.
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestion. I rather thought this was not going to be
    > an easy fix. For the sake of clarity, I am referring to the listing
    > of *programs* hanging off the Start Menu. They now all appear
    > whereas before they did not until I hovered my mouse over the down
    > chevrons when the menu would open fully.
    >
    > Thanks everyone. I will be patient if you will <g>
    >
    > Lindsey
    >
    > my email is *oldlin* not younglin
    >
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,

    Enable it, keep it that way. Windows will begin to track program usage again
    and should restart hiding infrequently used ones in due time.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    <linceev@younglin.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:i1nhe1porcco0e4suav5qcrd1i9jd0id09@4ax.com...
    > On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:55:33 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    > <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Right click the taskbar, choose properties. On the start menu tab, click
    >>customize. Re-check the option to use personalized menus.
    >
    >
    > Hello Rick,
    >
    > Thanks for your response. I went to that area, checked it, and it
    > was already ticked. However I unticked it, OK'd it, came out and went
    > back in again and reset it, hoping that would wake it up. But alas,
    > it did not. Thanks for the suggestion, but it is still as it was.
    >
    > Lindsey
    >
    > My email is *oldlin* not younglin.
    >
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:09:05 -0700, "Kathea Banshou"
    <KatheaBanshou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >The Classic Windows theme/desktop does not include the start menu. You can
    >have the double-row XP version of the start menu even if you choose the
    >Windows Classic theme. I've done so for years.
    >
    >Even though you'll be redoing what you've already done, let's try this.
    >Right click on the start button. Select properties. Select the Start Menu
    >tab. Make sure you are set to Classic Windows here (radio button). Select
    >Customize (button). Check/uncheck the Personalized menu item. Make any
    >other changes you wish here. Note that you need to exit saving changes
    >between disabling and enabling personalized/classic menus.
    >
    >
    >
    >"linceev@oldlin.freeserve.co.uk" wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:03:44 -0500, "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >try going to that same place, Rt click taskbar>properties>start
    >> >menu>customize, and look for 'scroll programs' click on that. Also, you say
    >> >you have classic view. Is that what you have selected for your Startup
    >> >option ( taskbar>properties) or is that what you have selected as your
    >> >'Theme' in Display properties?
    >> >I think that the Personalize menus is for the Favorites menu, which does
    >> >either show ALL favorites that have been saved , or shows Only the most
    >> >recently accessed pages, then has the chevron at the bottom of the menu that
    >> >indicates there are more favorites, depending on if it's enabled or not.
    >> >
    >> ><linceev@younglin.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> >news:i1nhe1porcco0e4suav5qcrd1i9jd0id09@4ax.com...
    >> >> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:55:33 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    >> >> <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
    >> >>
    >> >>>Hi,
    >> >>>
    >> >>>Right click the taskbar, choose properties. On the start menu tab, click
    >> >>>customize. Re-check the option to use personalized menus.
    >> >>
    >> >>
    >> >> Hello Rick,
    >> >>
    >> >> Thanks for your response. I went to that area, checked it, and it
    >> >> was already ticked. However I unticked it, OK'd it, came out and went
    >> >> back in again and reset it, hoping that would wake it up. But alas,
    >> >> it did not. Thanks for the suggestion, but it is still as it was.
    >> >>
    >> >> Lindsey
    >> >>
    >> >> My email is *oldlin* not younglin.
    >> >>
    >> >
    >>
    >> Hello lvee,
    >>
    >> Classic View refers to my Desktop and windows theme. So it looks more
    >> like Old Windows 95/98. I have had that set since I got the puter so
    >> it is a not a new element. I tried what you said, looking for
    >> scroll. It was already checked, but I unchecked it and re-checked it
    >> like before with Rick's suggestion. The problem remains.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your suggestion. I rather thought this was not going to be
    >> an easy fix. For the sake of clarity, I am referring to the listing
    >> of *programs* hanging off the Start Menu. They now all appear
    >> whereas before they did not until I hovered my mouse over the down
    >> chevrons when the menu would open fully.
    >>
    >> Thanks everyone. I will be patient if you will <g>
    >>
    >> Lindsey
    >>
    >> my email is *oldlin* not younglin
    >>

    Hello Kathea,
    Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I am not entirely sure of some
    of what you were saying but sometimes I even get the day wrong <g>
    However, to clarify. I only mentioned the fact I am in Classic View
    incase it had a bearing on what I might need to do to restore this
    failed element. I know it has no bearing on the fact I used to see
    the much reduced list in Start/Programs.

    As for the further foray into Properties/settings, etc. I did as you
    suggested and ,made sure all was as I expected it to be in there, in
    fact the only items NOT ticked in the list are:

    Display Favorites
    Expand Control Panel
    Expand My Documents
    Expand My Pictures
    Expand Printers
    Show Small Icons in Start Menu.

    Everything else is as others have said/suggested, and I have undone
    each and redone them anyway to try to wake them up, like when the info
    balloons vanish under the Task Bar. (Re-tick Keep Task Bar on Top).

    It is a mystery, but whilst not that vital to fix, it would be nice to
    do so.

    Thanks for your time and interest.

    Lindsey

    My email is *oldlin* not *younglin*
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:26:10 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Enable it, keep it that way. Windows will begin to track program usage again
    >and should restart hiding infrequently used ones in due time.


    Hi again Rick,

    Thanks for that idea. I was kinda hoping it might have done that by
    now. It hasn't yet, but we shall see. I have rechecked that
    everything is set as it should be and will check each day, so far it
    has been listing in *expanded* view for over a week now.

    Many thanks for your help

    Lindsey

    My email is *oldlin* not *younglin*
Ask a new question

Read More

Start Menu Windows XP