  • External Drive
  • Maxtor
  • Windows XP
July 28, 2005 8:31:05 PM

I'm setting up a Maxtor 250GB external drive to restore the hard drive on several
of my computers in case any of the drives fail.

I have two questions:

1. I want to set up multiple partitions on the Maxtor drive. In Win XP, under
Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Disk Management, it looks like the first
step is to delete the 250GB partition on the external drive. After I do that,
will it then show me the option of setting up multiple partitions and will I be
able to do some in NTFS and others in FAT32 (for my Win98 machines)?

2. I'm debating between using Maxtor's included Dantz Retrospect software to
completely restore a failed drive...or...use Acronis 8.0, which I purchased some
time ago for this purpose. Any thoughts on which is the most reliable way to
go?

Thanks!
Scott

More about : partitioning external drive

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 10:38:19 PM

No clue about the partition issue - but I can recommend Acronis True Image.
I've used it for over a year, and it's saved my bacon numerous times.

When I insert the recovery CD and boot from it, it gives me the option to
image all the drives attached to the target computer - Both SATA and PATA
(without having to install the program on it first) - and it even detects the
USB hard drive!

"Scott" wrote:

> I'm setting up a Maxtor 250GB external drive to restore the hard drive on several
> of my computers in case any of the drives fail.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. I want to set up multiple partitions on the Maxtor drive. In Win XP, under
> Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Disk Management, it looks like the first
> step is to delete the 250GB partition on the external drive. After I do that,
> will it then show me the option of setting up multiple partitions and will I be
> able to do some in NTFS and others in FAT32 (for my Win98 machines)?
>
> 2. I'm debating between using Maxtor's included Dantz Retrospect software to
> completely restore a failed drive...or...use Acronis 8.0, which I purchased some
> time ago for this purpose. Any thoughts on which is the most reliable way to
> go?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

July 29, 2005 12:57:03 AM

usasma wrote:

> No clue about the partition issue - but I can recommend Acronis True Image.
> I've used it for over a year, and it's saved my bacon numerous times.
>
> When I insert the recovery CD and boot from it, it gives me the option to
> image all the drives attached to the target computer - Both SATA and PATA
> (without having to install the program on it first) - and it even detects the
> USB hard drive!
>
> "Scott" wrote:
>
> > I'm setting up a Maxtor 250GB external drive to restore the hard drive on several
> > of my computers in case any of the drives fail.
> >
> > I have two questions:
> >
> > 1. I want to set up multiple partitions on the Maxtor drive. In Win XP, under
> > Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Disk Management, it looks like the first
> > step is to delete the 250GB partition on the external drive. After I do that,
> > will it then show me the option of setting up multiple partitions and will I be
> > able to do some in NTFS and others in FAT32 (for my Win98 machines)?
> >
> > 2. I'm debating between using Maxtor's included Dantz Retrospect software to
> > completely restore a failed drive...or...use Acronis 8.0, which I purchased some
> > time ago for this purpose. Any thoughts on which is the most reliable way to
> > go?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott

usasma,

OK, I think I can figure out the partition procedure. When using your Recovery CD,
are you saying that after booting with it, you can image the OS system as well as
everything else onto any drive? I ask this because Dantz Retrospect requires that
you install the OS first, then Retrospect, and then image the backed up drive onto the
new hard drive.

Scott
Related resources
July 29, 2005 2:37:52 AM

Scott wrote:

> I'm setting up a Maxtor 250GB external drive to restore the hard drive on several
> of my computers in case any of the drives fail.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. I want to set up multiple partitions on the Maxtor drive. In Win XP, under
> Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Disk Management, it looks like the first
> step is to delete the 250GB partition on the external drive. After I do that,
> will it then show me the option of setting up multiple partitions and will I be
> able to do some in NTFS and others in FAT32 (for my Win98 machines)?
>
> 2. I'm debating between using Maxtor's included Dantz Retrospect software to
> completely restore a failed drive...or...use Acronis 8.0, which I purchased some
> time ago for this purpose. Any thoughts on which is the most reliable way to
> go?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Update: I installed Maxtor's One-Touch and Dantz Retrospect. I also installed
Acronis 8.0 on my Win XP desktop. Now, when I go to My Network Places
on my Win XP notebook, I can't access the c drive on my XP desktop. The
message says: "Not enough server storage is available to process this command.".
However, from the XP desktop, I have no problem accessing the c drive on the
XP notebook. My XP notebook can access files on other Win 95 and Win98
desktops on the network. I uninstalled Retrospect, but no change. Is it possible
that Acronis is blocking access from the XP notebook to the XP desktop--where
Acronis is installed?

Thanks!
Scott
July 29, 2005 2:58:36 AM

Update: After I uninstalled Acronis, there is no longer a problem accessing files on
the (Acronis) XP desktop from my XP notebook. A puzzling note: When reading
the .pdf Help file for Acronis 8.0, it identifies the software as the "Server for Windows"
version. Is this correct for a home PC?

Thanks!
Scott

Scott wrote:

> Scott wrote:
>
> > I'm setting up a Maxtor 250GB external drive to restore the hard drive on several
> > of my computers in case any of the drives fail.
> >
> > I have two questions:
> >
> > 1. I want to set up multiple partitions on the Maxtor drive. In Win XP, under
> > Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Disk Management, it looks like the first
> > step is to delete the 250GB partition on the external drive. After I do that,
> > will it then show me the option of setting up multiple partitions and will I be
> > able to do some in NTFS and others in FAT32 (for my Win98 machines)?
> >
> > 2. I'm debating between using Maxtor's included Dantz Retrospect software to
> > completely restore a failed drive...or...use Acronis 8.0, which I purchased some
> > time ago for this purpose. Any thoughts on which is the most reliable way to
> > go?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott
>
> Update: I installed Maxtor's One-Touch and Dantz Retrospect. I also installed
> Acronis 8.0 on my Win XP desktop. Now, when I go to My Network Places
> on my Win XP notebook, I can't access the c drive on my XP desktop. The
> message says: "Not enough server storage is available to process this command.".
> However, from the XP desktop, I have no problem accessing the c drive on the
> XP notebook. My XP notebook can access files on other Win 95 and Win98
> desktops on the network. I uninstalled Retrospect, but no change. Is it possible
> that Acronis is blocking access from the XP notebook to the XP desktop--where
> Acronis is installed?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott
July 30, 2005 2:13:00 AM

Scott wrote:

> I'm setting up a Maxtor 250GB external drive to restore the hard drive on several
> of my computers in case any of the drives fail.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. I want to set up multiple partitions on the Maxtor drive. In Win XP, under
> Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Disk Management, it looks like the first
> step is to delete the 250GB partition on the external drive. After I do that,
> will it then show me the option of setting up multiple partitions and will I be
> able to do some in NTFS and others in FAT32 (for my Win98 machines)?
>
> 2. I'm debating between using Maxtor's included Dantz Retrospect software to
> completely restore a failed drive...or...use Acronis 8.0, which I purchased some
> time ago for this purpose. Any thoughts on which is the most reliable way to
> go?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Update:

I got everything partitioned properly, using Acronis 8.0 (new build 903), and Acronis
support solved my "no file access from a networked computer" problem with a registry
tweak. Now everything is working fine.

Scott
!