Sign in with
Your question

Can I run cod modern warfare 2 with pentium D?

Last response: in Video Games
November 15, 2009 12:05:59 PM

Hi could anyone tell me whether or not I will be able to run cod 6.

My graphics card is a ATI HD 4550 which is above the minimum requirement however my CPU is below, it is a intel pentium D 2.8ghz. I have 1gb of ddr2.

Does this game rely on CPU? or will i be able to play it as my graphics card is good?

Any help at all would be great.
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2009 3:13:21 PM

Your CPu meets the minimum requirements.

Min is P4 @ 3.2 Ghz. You have a better CPU than that.
November 15, 2009 4:14:22 PM

I think you are going to have an OK time with this game. You should be able to run it, but at max or even high settings... I do not think so.

You have options though:

- Overclocking your CPU (barely / slightly recommended if your motherboard allows it)
- Upgarding your RAM (recommended if your motherboard allows it, 2 GB would be great, but please do not think it will be the cure all)
- Upgrading your CPU (recommended / strongly recommended if your motherboard allows it, even a low end Core 2 would be good)
- Upgrading your GPU (strongly recommended if your power supply allows it, even a 9600 GT would be good)

Please see this link for a taste of how modern GPUs play this game at max settings:

http://www.techspot.com/article/219-cod-modern-warfare-...
Related resources
November 15, 2009 4:43:15 PM

Thanks a lot for replying quickly.

Would an ATI HD4850 work better and make a big difference (game running in high quality instead of low)? thinking of buying one (only £80 from maplin) and would then have to upgrade power supply as well.

The problem for me is I have a bad motherboard which doesnt support overclocking and I'm not sure how to replace a CPU or even if my motherboard supports newer CPUs.

Also I have 2 512mb slots of ram instead of 1, 1gb stick so if i bought another 1gb stick it would only increase ram by 512mb - not very cost effective.
November 15, 2009 5:00:15 PM

FinnJ said:
Thanks a lot for replying quickly.

Would an ATI HD4850 work better and make a big difference (game running in high quality instead of low)? thinking of buying one (only £80 from maplin) and would then have to upgrade power supply as well.

The problem for me is I have a bad motherboard which doesnt support overclocking and I'm not sure how to replace a CPU or even if my motherboard supports newer CPUs.

Also I have 2 512mb slots of ram instead of 1, 1gb stick so if i bought another 1gb stick it would only increase ram by 512mb - not very cost effective.

What is your current motherboard, power supply and case?
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2009 5:29:35 PM

An HD 4850 would certainly give you a jump on in frame rates and settings.

Providing the details Jzsang requested will allow us to determine if your PSU is adequate or not.
November 15, 2009 5:35:33 PM

Computer Brand Name: PACKARD BELL BV IMEDIA MC 2470
Motherboard Model: Packard Bell BV Cuba MS-7301
Motherboard Chipset: VIA P4M890/PT890 CE/CN800 + VT8237A
Motherboard Slots: 2xPCI, 1xAGP v3.5 , 1xPCI Express x1, 1xPCI Express x16
Power Supply: fsp250-60hen (I think its 250W)
Case: Packard Bell Aruba Chassis?

November 15, 2009 5:40:17 PM

I'm thinking of buying this new power supply, seems good value for money and would cover any future upgrades

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=345571

to work with the new graphics card I would buy (ATI HD4850)

Can u tell me if this setup would work, i wouldn't change cpu or motherboard, just power supply and graphics card.
thanks
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 12:27:49 AM

Get this one instead. 600 watts is overkill and that's not a very good quality PSU to start with. This Corsair I'm listing is absolute top of the line.

Corsair CX 400 watt - £36.98 inc VAT
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA...

And this GPU:
Sapphire HD 4750 - £110.99 inc VAT
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

I know both are about £34 higher than what you've listed for the PSU and GPU but both are infinitely more valuable long term.
November 16, 2009 6:11:31 PM

Viper thanks for replying again,

I realised that the g7 power supply had no pci-e support after looking more closely at it! surely all psus nowadays support a pci-e slot, apparently not.

In a perfect world i would take your advice but am on a tight budget at the mo and will just buy a new high end pc in a year or 2 anyway, due to my poor cpu and motherboard.

Due to this I have found another budget psu that will hopefully suffice

http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value-550w-gold-psu-1...

And would still get the ATI HD4850, as it seems quite a similar spec to the HD4750 but cheaper.

Could you possibly comment as to whether or not this setup will work?

Thanks a lot for your help.
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 10:00:25 PM

I have an old DELL XPS at work that has a Pent. D 2.8Ghz and a GTS 250 (1GB) and the game runs fine at any settings....

a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 10:16:58 PM

The HD 4850 will definitely give you a solid GPU.

The only positive I can say about the PSU is that this one at least provides you will all the right cabling required to run it all. Unfortunately that listing doesn't give details such as amps on the 12v rails, efficiency rating, PFC type or even which manufacturer built it (it actually says they outsource from several). It seems to be a store brand PSU.

Without the above info I can't give you an honest assessment of the PSU though from my experience with store brand PSU's they tend to be of lower quality.

I really hate being a damper on your selection like this but without those details, I just can't say for sure either.
November 17, 2009 2:14:10 AM

OvrClkr said:
I have an old DELL XPS at work that has a Pent. D 2.8Ghz and a GTS 250 (1GB) and the game runs fine at any settings....

That's great news for FinnjJ provided that he / she upgrades his / her current graphics card (from a maximum performance standpoint, the GTS 250 is much better than the HD 4550).

November 17, 2009 3:34:36 PM

OK thanks a lot for all your help, im going to go ahead and buy the HD4850 and PSU and hope for the best. I will post back in a couple of weeks to let you know how it goes
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 3:36:01 PM

OK. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
November 20, 2009 12:53:32 AM

Dude if anything helps, I can run Modern Warfare 2 at maxed out settings, 1400-900 res, with an Intel Core 2 Duo e8600 @3.33ghz, Nvidia GTX 260 FOC @666mhz, 750wtt psu. and 3 huge fans on my case. My pc stays cool even at any level. I think my fps averaged out could be around 60+' . This game is extremely easy to play at any settings. For the first one (COD4) I ran it on a Pentium Dual Core @2.4ghz without any problems. So just try the game out first, You dont want to spend that much money for no reason when you can just play it fine with the current hardware. SAVE $/ Modern Warfare 2 is very easy on the graphics and physics and AI, anything avobe a Pentium D 2.4ghz, and Nvidia 9800gt and beyond should give you a solid gameplay. Another thing remember to have a good ETHERNET CONNECTION< because the game runs beautifull online and you dont want any lagging.

Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!!!
May 13, 2012 10:36:45 AM

i think you can run. i ran on my pentiun d 3.2 with galaxy gts 250 at an average of 60fps. but sometimes it really drops low to 250 and sometimes more than. but the game ran fine. i can even play mw3 at 35fps and above in high setting at 1280*1204
i think with your graphic card you can play on by lowering setting. consider upgrading ram at least
!