Confused about adminstrative password

Hi, I am running WinXP Pro on my new laptop, and am confused regarding
the adminstrative password vs. the password for my administrator
account. When I first got the laptop, I remember entering an
adminstrative password. I didn't enter an account password, so I get
logged on without having to enter a password. It is an adminstator
account and I seem to have full administrative privileges. When would I
be required to give the administrative password? Are there two separate
passwords involved here or am I just totally confused?
3 answers Last reply
More about confused adminstrative password

    ken_goto@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi, I am running WinXP Pro on my new laptop, and am confused regarding
    > the adminstrative password vs. the password for my administrator
    > account. When I first got the laptop, I remember entering an
    > adminstrative password. I didn't enter an account password, so I get
    > logged on without having to enter a password. It is an adminstator
    > account and I seem to have full administrative privileges. When would
    > I be required to give the administrative password? Are there two
    > separate passwords involved here or am I just totally confused?

    two users.
    "Administrator" and your user.
    When would you be required to use it - hopefully never..
    In your case - only if you had to use the recovery console.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Thanks Shenan. That's about what I thought. Since I do backup and
    restores using Norton Ghost, I have never used the recovery console.
    The administrative password seem pretty irrelevant for my usage.

    Thanks Shenan. That's about what I thought. Since I do backup and
    restores using Norton Ghost, I have never used the recovery console.
    The administrative password seem pretty irrelevant for my usage.

Laptops Microsoft Windows XP