Confused about adminstrative password

Hi, I am running WinXP Pro on my new laptop, and am confused regarding
the adminstrative password vs. the password for my administrator
account. When I first got the laptop, I remember entering an
adminstrative password. I didn't enter an account password, so I get
logged on without having to enter a password. It is an adminstator
account and I seem to have full administrative privileges. When would I
be required to give the administrative password? Are there two separate
passwords involved here or am I just totally confused?

ken_goto@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I am running WinXP Pro on my new laptop, and am confused regarding
> the adminstrative password vs. the password for my administrator
> account. When I first got the laptop, I remember entering an
> adminstrative password. I didn't enter an account password, so I get
> logged on without having to enter a password. It is an adminstator
> account and I seem to have full administrative privileges. When would
> I be required to give the administrative password? Are there two
> separate passwords involved here or am I just totally confused?

two users.
"Administrator" and your user.
When would you be required to use it - hopefully never..
In your case - only if you had to use the recovery console.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Thanks Shenan. That's about what I thought. Since I do backup and
restores using Norton Ghost, I have never used the recovery console.
The administrative password seem pretty irrelevant for my usage.