Deciding between 3 phones - please comment

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 9, 2004 6:56:26 PM

We currently have a family plan that we use for both personal & business
(small family company). We started it in Sept 2002. 2 yr plan - we share
300 peak minutes and the main line has 1000 M2M with the other 2 phones at
250 M2M, unlimited nights & weekends.

We are getting close to our 2-yr and are considering getting a new phone. I
believe that we can use the NE2 to replace the main phone. It is currently
a Kyocera 3035 and is getting a little flakey (it is randomly turning off -
usually when you press the green "send" button - not every time, but often
enough to be very annoying.) This is the phone my father uses and he hasn't
ever been all that happy with it - he has trouble reading the screen without
putting on his reading glasses and the stupid toggle-button is hard to use.

I have been doing some research and am hoping that some of you can provide
your thoughts of pros/cons for these phones. The most important features
for us are AMPS (we often travel, both business & leisure, to remote areas
where analog is the only option.), good reception (particularly in fringe
areas) and either a readable screen (larger text would really help!) or
voice dialing so the screen isn't an issue. [Yes, I know the 3035 can do
voice dialing - he only told me about his problems with it the other day
when it started flaking out! If I had known it was an issue, I'd have
helped him set that up nearly 2 years ago...] Lastly, it would be very
helpful if we can connect it to the PC for dial-up access (we currently do
this with our Kyocera phones - 3035 & 2235)

The phones that I have been considering (from the Verizon website) are the
LG VS-3200, Nokia 3589i and Samsung SCH-a650. Does anyone have any
experience with this? Will one of them work for us? I had read a lot of
recommendations here for a Motorola T730 or V60s, but they do not seem to
actually be available...

Thanks for your help,

Pdarrah
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 6:56:27 PM

pdarrah wrote:

> The phones that I have been considering (from the Verizon website)
> are the LG VS-3200, Nokia 3589i and Samsung SCH-a650. Does anyone
> have any experience with this? Will one of them work for us? I had
> read a lot of recommendations here for a Motorola T730 or V60s, but
> they do not seem to actually be available...

(they may not be available anymore) Call a few VZW stores and see if
they still have any LG VX4400 left. Very solid tri-mode phone.

-Quick
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 12:03:32 AM

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 14:56:26 -0500, "pdarrah" <pdarrah@sprynet.com>
wrote:

>We currently have a family plan that we use for both personal & business
>(small family company). We started it in Sept 2002. 2 yr plan - we share
>300 peak minutes and the main line has 1000 M2M with the other 2 phones at
>250 M2M, unlimited nights & weekends.
>
>We are getting close to our 2-yr and are considering getting a new phone. I
>believe that we can use the NE2 to replace the main phone. It is currently
>a Kyocera 3035 and is getting a little flakey (it is randomly turning off -
>usually when you press the green "send" button - not every time, but often
>enough to be very annoying.) This is the phone my father uses and he hasn't
>ever been all that happy with it - he has trouble reading the screen without
>putting on his reading glasses and the stupid toggle-button is hard to use.
>
>I have been doing some research and am hoping that some of you can provide
>your thoughts of pros/cons for these phones. The most important features
>for us are AMPS (we often travel, both business & leisure, to remote areas
>where analog is the only option.), good reception (particularly in fringe
>areas) and either a readable screen (larger text would really help!) or
>voice dialing so the screen isn't an issue. [Yes, I know the 3035 can do
>voice dialing - he only told me about his problems with it the other day
>when it started flaking out! If I had known it was an issue, I'd have
>helped him set that up nearly 2 years ago...] Lastly, it would be very
>helpful if we can connect it to the PC for dial-up access (we currently do
>this with our Kyocera phones - 3035 & 2235)
>
>The phones that I have been considering (from the Verizon website) are the
>LG VS-3200, Nokia 3589i and Samsung SCH-a650. Does anyone have any
>experience with this? Will one of them work for us? I had read a lot of
>recommendations here for a Motorola T730 or V60s, but they do not seem to
>actually be available...

I have owned a 3035 for over two years, so I know both the
frustrations that come with owning this phone and the great feature
set Kyocera offers. It is either the worst phone I've ever loved or
the best phone I've ever hated.

While I haven't researched the options you are considering, if you can
find a 2325, I'd suggest giving it consideration. Some markets still
offer it as a Free-Up phone, but you could probably talk the manager
into selling it to you for your second line. This is one of the last
VZW Kyocera phones I know of that still does AMPS. The blue backlit
screen should be easier on your father's eyes, and the navigation
buttons should be a bit easier for him, too. My mother, age 60, has a
2325, and while she doesn't use 90% of the features of the phone, it
is easy enough for her to make and place calls. Believe me, calling
my mother 'technologically challenged' would be kind, and she'd be the
first to admit it.

Plus, going with a 2325 keeps you with the feature set you are already
used to. I was able to set up her phone in about 5 minutes, which
included manually entering her contact list.
July 10, 2004 12:04:34 AM

pdarrah wrote:

> We currently have a family plan that we use for both personal & business
> (small family company). We started it in Sept 2002. 2 yr plan - we share
> 300 peak minutes and the main line has 1000 M2M with the other 2 phones at
> 250 M2M, unlimited nights & weekends.
>
> We are getting close to our 2-yr and are considering getting a new phone. I
> believe that we can use the NE2 to replace the main phone. It is currently
> a Kyocera 3035 and is getting a little flakey (it is randomly turning off -
> usually when you press the green "send" button - not every time, but often
> enough to be very annoying.) This is the phone my father uses and he hasn't
> ever been all that happy with it - he has trouble reading the screen without
> putting on his reading glasses and the stupid toggle-button is hard to use.
>
> I have been doing some research and am hoping that some of you can provide
> your thoughts of pros/cons for these phones. The most important features
> for us are AMPS (we often travel, both business & leisure, to remote areas
> where analog is the only option.), good reception (particularly in fringe
> areas) and either a readable screen (larger text would really help!) or
> voice dialing so the screen isn't an issue. [Yes, I know the 3035 can do
> voice dialing - he only told me about his problems with it the other day
> when it started flaking out! If I had known it was an issue, I'd have
> helped him set that up nearly 2 years ago...] Lastly, it would be very
> helpful if we can connect it to the PC for dial-up access (we currently do
> this with our Kyocera phones - 3035 & 2235)
>
> The phones that I have been considering (from the Verizon website) are the
> LG VS-3200, Nokia 3589i and Samsung SCH-a650. Does anyone have any
> experience with this? Will one of them work for us? I had read a lot of
> recommendations here for a Motorola T730 or V60s, but they do not seem to
> actually be available...
>
> Thanks for your help,

Sorry, I can't help you with any hands-on experience, but I'd strongly
suggest getting hands-on experience, yourself.

While reviews and specs can be very helpful, there's nothing like holding
the phone in your own hand(s). Subjective features (general feel, button
size, menu layouts, etc.) are all just as important as the objective ones.

Good luck!

Notan
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 12:11:53 AM

wrote:

>Yes, I know the 3035 can do
>voice dialing - he only told me about his problems with it the other day
>when it started flaking out! If I had known it was an issue, I'd have
>helped him set that up nearly 2 years ago...

I forgot to address the voice recognition problems I had with the
3035. I don't know if it was an issue with the phone or with my
enunciation, but it had a very hard time understanding "yes" and "no".
It occurred to me that since I wasn't having problems with peoples'
names, I'd try "yes/no" in a different language. German seems to work
much better for me. What kind of problems was he having?
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 2:10:19 AM

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 14:56:26 -0500, pdarrah wrote:

> The phones that I have been considering (from the Verizon website) are the
> LG VS-3200, Nokia 3589i and Samsung SCH-a650. Does anyone have any
> experience with this? Will one of them work for us? I had read a lot of
> recommendations here for a Motorola T730 or V60s, but they do not seem to
> actually be available...

I have a T730. Works great.
My son-in-law has a 3589i - also works great, but I prefer the display on
the 730.
July 10, 2004 4:54:48 AM

His problems have been trying to read the small text on the screen - since
he never told me about it (just assumed he had to live with it), I never got
around to setting up voice dialing for him. I just assumed his phone was
fine since he didn't say anything... (Now I know to keep asking!) If the
phone didn't seem to be flaking out now, I would probably try setting him up
to use the voice stuff and see if that made him happier, but having it
randomly turning itself off is just too frustrating. (Today it turned
itself off when he was trying to turn on the keylock feature.)

Thanks for the input. One thought would be to switch him to my phone (2235)
and see if he can read it better. Since I have fewer issues with the screen
and buttons, finding a new phone for me might be easier (although it would
still need AMPS, decent reception, etc.)

pdarrah

"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 14:56:26 -0500, "pdarrah" <pdarrah@sprynet.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Yes, I know the 3035 can do
> >voice dialing - he only told me about his problems with it the other day
> >when it started flaking out! If I had known it was an issue, I'd have
> >helped him set that up nearly 2 years ago...
>
> I forgot to address the voice recognition problems I had with the
> 3035. I don't know if it was an issue with the phone or with my
> enunciation, but it had a very hard time understanding "yes" and "no".
> It occurred to me that since I wasn't having problems with peoples'
> names, I'd try "yes/no" in a different language. German seems to work
> much better for me. What kind of problems was he having?

July 10, 2004 4:57:12 AM

In article <1089404857.434300@sj-nntpcache-3>, quick7135-
news@NOSPAMyahoo.com says...
> pdarrah wrote:
> >
> > The phones that I have been considering (from the Verizon website)
> > are the LG VS-3200, Nokia 3589i and Samsung SCH-a650. Does anyone
> > have any experience with this? Will one of them work for us? I had
> > read a lot of recommendations here for a Motorola T730 or V60s, but
> > they do not seem to actually be available...
>
> (they may not be available anymore) Call a few VZW stores and see if
> they still have any LG VX4400 left. Very solid tri-mode phone.
>
> -Quick

Yes - and a very large, readable, display as well

Louise
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 3:07:13 AM

I'd go with the LG VX 6000.

David R. Goyer

--
All email is scanned and deemed virus free by Norton Anti-Virus 2003.
"pdarrah" <pdarrah@sprynet.com> wrote in message
> We currently have a family plan that we use for both personal & business
> (small family company). We started it in Sept 2002. 2 yr plan - we share
> 300 peak minutes and the main line has 1000 M2M with the other 2 phones at
> 250 M2M, unlimited nights & weekends.
>
> We are getting close to our 2-yr and are considering getting a new phone.
> believe that we can use the NE2 to replace the main phone. It is
currently
> a Kyocera 3035 and is getting a little flakey (it is randomly turning
off -
> usually when you press the green "send" button - not every time, but often
> enough to be very annoying.) This is the phone my father uses and he
hasn't
> ever been all that happy with it - he has trouble reading the screen
without
> putting on his reading glasses and the stupid toggle-button is hard to
use.

> I have been doing some research and am hoping that some of you can provide
> your thoughts of pros/cons for these phones. The most important features
> for us are AMPS (we often travel, both business & leisure, to remote areas
> where analog is the only option.), good reception (particularly in fringe
> areas) and either a readable screen (larger text would really help!) or
> voice dialing so the screen isn't an issue. [Yes, I know the 3035 can do
> voice dialing - he only told me about his problems with it the other day
> when it started flaking out! If I had known it was an issue, I'd have
> helped him set that up nearly 2 years ago...] Lastly, it would be very
> helpful if we can connect it to the PC for dial-up access (we currently do
> this with our Kyocera phones - 3035 & 2235)
>
> The phones that I have been considering (from the Verizon website) are the
> LG VS-3200, Nokia 3589i and Samsung SCH-a650. Does anyone have any
> experience with this? Will one of them work for us? I had read a lot of
> recommendations here for a Motorola T730 or V60s, but they do not seem to
> actually be available...
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Pdarrah

Anonymous
July 12, 2004 1:45:02 PM

Uhhh, the VX 6000 doesn't have analog. The VX 6100 does,
but I don't think VZW carries it.

-Quick

!