damaged downloaded program files

July 29, 2005 12:19:04 PM

I have been having all kinds of trouble because of a screen saver 4th of July
Gala.
I have found 2 damaged files-C:\WINDOWS\system32\luctl.dll and
C:\WINDOWS\CPBRKPIE.OCX .I tried to change this screen saver my daughter
installed but i keep getting program not responding.I could not find screen
saver in add or remove programs and am afraid i messed something up trying to
change the screen saver.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 4:20:13 PM

Oldtimer wrote:

> I have been having all kinds of trouble because of a screen saver 4th of July
> Gala.
> I have found 2 damaged files-C:\WINDOWS\system32\luctl.dll and
> C:\WINDOWS\CPBRKPIE.OCX .I tried to change this screen saver my daughter
> installed but i keep getting program not responding.I could not find screen
> saver in add or remove programs and am afraid i messed something up trying to
> change the screen saver.

These do not appear to be valid Windows files but spyware
or adware. Delete them using an anti-adware application such
as LavaSoft Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, TrendMicro Anti-Spyware.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 4:56:16 PM

Oldtimer,

It's iuctl.dll nor luctl.dll and it's the ActiveX (Update Class)
component that used to be needed for Windows Update V4. You can right
click it and choose Delete IF you do not access the Windows Update
Catalog to manually download updates. IF you do visit the WUC, then
right click it and choose Update to repair it.
CPBRKPIE.OCX is part of a " potentially unwanted program ", CouponBar
(McAfee) or, AdWare.Coupons ( a-Squared )
Suggest you download, install, register, and then update a-squared FREE:
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
( The download and registration links are on the bottom of the above page )
Do a scan of the system in normal Windows mode; reboot to Safe Mode
http://snipurl.com/dmbp and scan once more.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2005]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten