Notifiying Away on Holiday Emails

How do i set up my email account to notify incoming emails that i'm away on
holiday or out of the office until such time? I've looked through the options
but just can't find the set up information.

Thanks
Nick
15 answers Last reply
More about notifiying holiday emails

    In news:DBB2DE58-0A5C-414F-83B7-A53B8C53C90D@microsoft.com,
    Nick <Nick @discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > How do i set up my email account to notify incoming emails that
    > i'm
    > away on holiday or out of the office until such time? I've
    > looked
    > through the options but just can't find the set up information.

    *If* you can do it in your E-mail program, how to do it depends
    on what E-mail program you're using. Which is it?

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Thank you for coming back.

    I am using outlook express in Windows XP.

    In news:FE09614B-095F-4CC7-BF20-6566148EFE15@microsoft.com,
    Nick <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Thank you for coming back.
    >
    > I am using outlook express in Windows XP.

    I don't personally use Outlook Express for E-mail, so I'm not a
    good source for an answer for you. I don't *think* you can do
    this in Outlook Express, but perhaps someone who knows OE better
    than I do can answer for sure.

    If you don't get a definitive answer here, try asking in an
    Outlook Express newsgroup, which is more suited to your question
    than this Windows XP newsgroup.

    "Nick" <Nick @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do i set up my email account to notify incoming emails that i'm away
    > on
    > holiday or out of the office until such time? I've looked through the
    > options
    > but just can't find the set up information.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Nick

    Haven't done this but look at:

    Tools Create Rule from Message

    Then check:
    All Messages
    Reply with Message
    click on underlined message. Looks like you have to create a .eml file with
    your reply in it.

    Good luck
    Billh

    Thanks billh but that didn't seem to work. I'm finishing work now but will be
    back in tomorrow so any other suggestions please post and i'll check tomorrow.
    Thanks
    Nick

    "billh" wrote:

    > "Nick" <Nick @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How do i set up my email account to notify incoming emails that i'm away
    > > on
    > > holiday or out of the office until such time? I've looked through the
    > > options
    > > but just can't find the set up information.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Nick
    >
    > Haven't done this but look at:
    >
    > Tools Create Rule from Message
    >
    > Then check:
    > All Messages
    > Reply with Message
    > click on underlined message. Looks like you have to create a .eml file with
    > your reply in it.
    >
    > Good luck
    > Billh

    Try the Outlook Express newsgroup. The question comes up quite often. And
    it's very dangerous to do it.

    Tom
    | Thanks billh but that didn't seem to work. I'm finishing work now but will
    be
    | back in tomorrow so any other suggestions please post and i'll check
    tomorrow.
    | Thanks
    | Nick
    |
    | "billh" wrote:
    |

    | > "Nick" <Nick @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > > How do i set up my email account to notify incoming emails that i'm
    away
    | > > on
    | > > holiday or out of the office until such time? I've looked through the
    | > > options
    | > > but just can't find the set up information.
    | > >
    | > > Thanks
    | > > Nick
    | >
    | > Haven't done this but look at:
    | >
    | > Tools Create Rule from Message
    | >
    | > Then check:
    | > All Messages
    | > Reply with Message
    | > click on underlined message. Looks like you have to create a .eml file
    with
    | > your reply in it.
    | >
    | > Good luck
    | > Billh

    To create a rule for e-mail messages to automatically with a return TEXT
    message. Test by sending an email to: LsuEdu@Bellsouth.net

    1.. On the Tools menu, point to Message Rules, and then click Mail.
    Message rules cannot be created for IMAP or HTTP e-mail accounts.

    2.. If this is the first rule you are creating, proceed to step 3.
    Otherwise, on the Mail Rules tab, click New and proceed to step 4.
    3.. Select the conditions for your rule by selecting the desired check
    boxes in the Conditions section. (You must select at least one condition.)
    You can specify multiple conditions for a single rule by selecting more
    than one check box. Click the and hyperlink in the Rule Description section
    to specify whether all of the rule conditions must be met before the
    specified action occurs (and), or whether at least one must be met (or).

    4.. Specify the actions for your rule by selecting the desired check boxes
    in the Actions section. (You must select at least one condition.)
    5.. Click the underlined hyperlinks in the Rule Description section to
    specify the conditions or actions for your rule.
    You can click contains people or contains specific words in the Rule
    Description section to specify the people or words you'd like Outlook
    Express to look for in messages. If you enter multiple people or multiple
    words per condition, use the Options button in the Select People or Type
    Specific Words dialog boxes to further customize the condition.

    6.. In the Name of the rule text box, select the default name or type a
    new name for your rule, and then click OK.
    Notes

    a.. You can create a new rule by selecting an existing one on the Message
    Rules tab and clicking Copy. This is helpful when the new rule you want to
    create is similar to an existing one.
    b.. You can create a rule from a message by selecting an e-mail message in
    the main window and then on the Message menu clicking Create Rule from
    Message. This helps by automatically filling in the name of the person on
    the From line; no other information from the message, however, is entered
    into the rule.
    The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his
    absolute property - either as a child, a wife, or a concubine - must delay
    the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a
    great power among men.

    Winston Churchill - London, England
    http://www.winstonchurchill.org

    "Nick" <Nick @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do i set up my email account to notify incoming emails that i'm away
    > on
    > holiday or out of the office until such time? I've looked through the
    > options
    > but just can't find the set up information.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Nick

    Big Thank You to everyone that's replied and tried to help. By the looks of
    things it appears it's not worth it, so i shall imform my boss and tell it
    the implications. Thank you once again.

    "LsuEdu@bellsouth.net-REMOVE" wrote:

    > To create a rule for e-mail messages to automatically with a return TEXT
    > message. Test by sending an email to: LsuEdu@Bellsouth.net
    >
    > 1.. On the Tools menu, point to Message Rules, and then click Mail.
    > Message rules cannot be created for IMAP or HTTP e-mail accounts.
    >
    > 2.. If this is the first rule you are creating, proceed to step 3.
    > Otherwise, on the Mail Rules tab, click New and proceed to step 4.
    > 3.. Select the conditions for your rule by selecting the desired check
    > boxes in the Conditions section. (You must select at least one condition.)
    > You can specify multiple conditions for a single rule by selecting more
    > than one check box. Click the and hyperlink in the Rule Description section
    > to specify whether all of the rule conditions must be met before the
    > specified action occurs (and), or whether at least one must be met (or).
    >
    > 4.. Specify the actions for your rule by selecting the desired check boxes
    > in the Actions section. (You must select at least one condition.)
    > 5.. Click the underlined hyperlinks in the Rule Description section to
    > specify the conditions or actions for your rule.
    > You can click contains people or contains specific words in the Rule
    > Description section to specify the people or words you'd like Outlook
    > Express to look for in messages. If you enter multiple people or multiple
    > words per condition, use the Options button in the Select People or Type
    > Specific Words dialog boxes to further customize the condition.
    >
    > 6.. In the Name of the rule text box, select the default name or type a
    > new name for your rule, and then click OK.
    > Notes
    >
    > a.. You can create a new rule by selecting an existing one on the Message
    > Rules tab and clicking Copy. This is helpful when the new rule you want to
    > create is similar to an existing one.
    > b.. You can create a rule from a message by selecting an e-mail message in
    > the main window and then on the Message menu clicking Create Rule from
    > Message. This helps by automatically filling in the name of the person on
    > the From line; no other information from the message, however, is entered
    > into the rule.
    > The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his
    > absolute property - either as a child, a wife, or a concubine - must delay
    > the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a
    > great power among men.
    >
    > Winston Churchill - London, England
    > http://www.winstonchurchill.org
    >
    > "Nick" <Nick @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How do i set up my email account to notify incoming emails that i'm away
    > > on
    > > holiday or out of the office until such time? I've looked through the
    > > options
    > > but just can't find the set up information.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Nick

    You can do it with message rules. BUT..your PC would have to be on 24/7
    with OE running. The notification would be sent to any spam you receive
    also. When the return address is not valid, you would receive
    notification that your message had bounced. You would reply to this
    message...it would bounce....you would reply to this message.....it
    would bounce....ad infinitum.
    Plus, you have just announced to all the world that you are on holiday.
    Why not just put a notice on your door and invite everyone to burgle
    you?

    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    Nick wrote:
    > Thanks billh but that didn't seem to work. I'm finishing work now but
    > will be back in tomorrow so any other suggestions please post and
    > i'll check tomorrow. Thanks
    > Nick
    >
    > "billh" wrote:
    >

    >> "Nick" <Nick @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> How do i set up my email account to notify incoming emails that i'm
    >>> away on
    >>> holiday or out of the office until such time? I've looked through
    >>> the options
    >>> but just can't find the set up information.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Nick
    >>
    >> Haven't done this but look at:
    >>
    >> Tools Create Rule from Message
    >>
    >> Then check:
    >> All Messages
    >> Reply with Message
    >> click on underlined message. Looks like you have to create a .eml
    >> file with your reply in it.
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >> Billh

    I agree as it took at least 30 seconds to click through the new rule options
    to set it up.

> [...]
    >> the From line; no other information from the message, however, is entered
    >> into the rule.
    >> The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as
    >> his
    >> absolute property - either as a child, a wife, or a concubine - must
    >> delay
    >> the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be
    >> great power among men.
    >>
    >> Winston Churchill - London, England
    >> http://www.winstonchurchill.org
    >>
    >> "Nick" <Nick @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > How do i set up my email account to notify incoming emails that i'm
    >> > away
    >> > on
    >> > holiday or out of the office until such time? I've looked through the
    >> > options
    >> > but just can't find the set up information.

    It's not the length of time to set it up, or lack of it. It's the
    security and privacey aspect. You wouldn't post a note through all your
    neigbourboods letterboxes letting them know you are away, even if you
    did know them all, would you? Why do the same by email? Much better to
    contact your trusted friends by phone and inform them of the fact.
    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

> [...]
    >>>
    >>> a.. You can create a new rule by selecting an existing one on the
    >>> Message
    >>> Rules tab and clicking Copy. This is helpful when the new rule you
    >>> want to
    >>> create is similar to an existing one.
    >>> b.. You can create a rule from a message by selecting an e-mail
    >>> message in
    >>> the main window and then on the Message menu clicking Create Rule
    >>> from Message. This helps by automatically filling in the name of
    >>> the person on the From line; no other information from the message,
    >>> however, is entered into the rule.
    >>> The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man
    >>> as his
    >>> absolute property - either as a child, a wife, or a concubine - must
    >>> delay
    >>> the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased

    Your point is valid, however the original poster mentioned "out of the
    office or away on holidays" which assuming his office is not in his home and
    is more than just him is not really much of a security risk. Lots of
    companies want their employees to have such messages to prevent something
    from falling through the cracks because the recipient is away. If the
    person has an assistant then they could monitor the email but sometimes that
    is not practical because of other privacy concerns. The point made by
    another poster regarding spam validating email addresses and ping-ponging
    is very valid, but if the company is large enough or technically aware they
    would have anti-spam filters. Since he is using OE rather than Outlook, I
    would guess the operation is small.
    billh

    "Kath Adams" <kathadams@(nospam)mvps.org> wrote in message
    > It's not the length of time to set it up, or lack of it. It's the security
    > and privacey aspect. You wouldn't post a note through all your
    > neigbourboods letterboxes letting them know you are away, even if you did
    > know them all, would you? Why do the same by email? Much better to contact
    > your trusted friends by phone and inform them of the fact.
    > --
    > Kath Adams
    > MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
    >
    > LsuEdu@bellsouth.net-REMOVE wrote:
    >> I agree as it took at least 30 seconds to click through the new rule
    >> options to set it up.
    >>
    >> "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Big Thank You to everyone that's replied and tried to help. By the
    >>> looks of
    >>> things it appears it's not worth it, so i shall imform my boss and
    >>> tell it the implications. Thank you once again.

    That doesn't change the fact about the continuous loop that occurs because
    of spam and false addresses. Very dangerous.

    Tom
    "billh" <NoMail@Post2Newsgroup.Pls> wrote in message
    | Your point is valid, however the original poster mentioned "out of the
    | office or away on holidays" which assuming his office is not in his home
    and
    | is more than just him is not really much of a security risk. Lots of
    | companies want their employees to have such messages to prevent something
    | from falling through the cracks because the recipient is away. If the
    | person has an assistant then they could monitor the email but sometimes
    that
    | is not practical because of other privacy concerns. The point made by
    | another poster regarding spam validating email addresses and ping-ponging
    | is very valid, but if the company is large enough or technically aware
    they
    | would have anti-spam filters. Since he is using OE rather than Outlook, I
    | would guess the operation is small.
    | billh
    |
    | "Kath Adams" <kathadams@(nospam)mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > It's not the length of time to set it up, or lack of it. It's the
    security
    | > and privacey aspect. You wouldn't post a note through all your
    | > neigbourboods letterboxes letting them know you are away, even if you
    did
    | > know them all, would you? Why do the same by email? Much better to
    contact
    | > your trusted friends by phone and inform them of the fact.
    | > --
    | > Kath Adams
    | > MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
    | >
    | > LsuEdu@bellsouth.net-REMOVE wrote:
    | >> I agree as it took at least 30 seconds to click through the new rule
    | >> options to set it up.
    | >>
    | >> "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Where is the door notice download?
    ~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~
    =======================================

    > You can do it with message rules. BUT..your PC would have to be on 24/7
    > with OE running. The notification would be sent to any spam you receive
    > also. When the return address is not valid, you would receive notification
    > that your message had bounced. You would reply to this message...it would
    > bounce....you would reply to this message.....it would bounce....ad
    > infinitum.
    > Plus, you have just announced to all the world that you are on holiday.
    > Why not just put a notice on your door and invite everyone to burgle you?
    >
    > --
    > Kath Adams
    > MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
    >

    > Nick wrote:
    >> Thanks billh but that didn't seem to work. I'm finishing work now but
    >> will be back in tomorrow so any other suggestions please post and
    >> i'll check tomorrow. Thanks
    >> Nick
    >>
    >> "billh" wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Nick" <Nick @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >>> Haven't done this but look at:
    >>>
    >>> Tools Create Rule from Message
    >>>
    >>> Then check:
    >>> All Messages
    >>> Reply with Message
    >>> click on underlined message. Looks like you have to create a .eml
    >>> file with your reply in it.
    >>>
    >>> Good luck
    >>> Billh

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    The comment about ping-ponging did acknowledge that.
    billh

Microsoft Office Email Windows XP