Why Unreal Tournament uses %100 CPU?

Zerk

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Hay Guys!

Anyone know why UT3 uses 100% of my CPU no matter what i'm doing in it?

Whether I'm fighting 32Bots or just sitting at the Menu screen, it says 100%

Frame rates also drop during large fights do to CPU Overload. Crysis barely uses 60$ all the time.

Why is UT3 so demanding?

Forgot.

E8400,GTX285,4GB,Win7 64 or XP32 both do the same thing.

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I agree with Randomizer. Find out what else is running whilst UT is humming along.

What are you running for antivirus software, and what are you running for audio drivers? On rare occasions I have seen both of those affect gameplay..

Zerk

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
OK.

I'd take a Snapshot of my desktop but I don't have Sketchbook at the moment.

I have UT3 windowed so I can see, I'm at the main menu and it shows avg CPU 72%

Just idle at the menu! ?? :S

Ok now this is very strange.

I'm in the CTF Facing worlds map ok, 640x480 windowed, 9 bots + me.

Using %90 to 98% CPU, the other %2 for windows and the monitor.

Crazy!

I'll try Changing a few Settings.

OK.

I tried changing every setting in the game Video and audio. Same.

Avg CPU 97%

I even went to everything on the lowest settings, Same.

It must be the AI.

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
What are you using for a soundcard, and what version of the driver? (right click my computer, go to manage, device manage, right click sound device, properties)

Just a shot in the dark--but try uninstalling your sound device completely from the device manager, then run the game. If it changes, you have audio drivers that are horribly coded, and I would look for an update.

I would also be certain you are running the most current drivers for your video card (www.guru3d.com usually has the newest editions ready to DL).

As far as getting a screen shot, you can just hit the "print screen" key on the top right of your keyboard (near F12) then open up Paint, and paste it ;)

Keep trying things, and posting, we will figure this out.

Zerk

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Do you have UT3? whats your Usage.

I'm using Creative XFi Extreme gamer latest 64 Drivers, or My old XP 32 Drivers I had a few months ago, makes no diff.

Graphic drivers make no diff as I have had many.

Got to be the Hog game, I've had XP 32 Pro, now Win 7 64 pro, My Bro in law has XP and a P4 3.4GHz HT Extreme that I gave him and it lags on the CPU even worse.

Benchmarks Show Quads are faster in UT3 but they Do not show the Usages! Kinda Stupid.

Thanks for your help mate, Much appreciated.

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Just for argument's sake--uninstall your audio drivers completely, then tryin running it. I have the X-fi Fatal1ty Extremegamer and in my old PC I would have major lag issues with gaming with those drivers installed...worth a shot!

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Well, you're not the only one who has 100% cpu usage during UT3, I used to get it on my E8400 as well. Constant 100% usage no matter what. I beleive it is the way the game is setup. As long as you are getting good fps, and your cpu isn't overheating I don't think you need to worry about it.

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Wow, maybe it is truly CPU intensive beyond any other game I have seen. I forgot to test it on my machine, sorry!

I will try and test it on my machine tonight and check the CPU usage in-game. I haven't really played much UT, I bought it the weekend it came out just to try it and wasn't crazy about it. From what I remember it runs great on my PC, never thought to look at the CPU usage. I think I had only OC'd to 3.15ghz at that point as well...will have to see how it likes 4.05ghz :evil: