NAV won't uninstall or work??

Just upgraded a 98se to winxp.
ONE problem I'm having is getting Norton AV to work.
XP security screen states that I don't have an anti-virus program.
I've tried to uninstall and reinstall NAV but xp won't let me uninstall.
Something about desktop is "read only" and I can't figure out how to change.
I right clcik, unclick "read only" only to have it recheck itself.

Not even sure where to start.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:e%23ob%23kGlFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
L. <ofallon12320@yahoo1.com> had this to say:

> Just upgraded a 98se to winxp.
> ONE problem I'm having is getting Norton AV to work.
> XP security screen states that I don't have an anti-virus program.
> I've tried to uninstall and reinstall NAV but xp won't let me
> uninstall. Something about desktop is "read only" and I can't figure
> out how to change. I right clcik, unclick "read only" only to have it
> recheck itself.
> Not even sure where to start.

Uninstall NAV and install a newer version from the site. If you don't want
NAV any longer and would like something free look here:

Malware Cleaning :
http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

Got it, thanks.
Seems I had to uninstall and reinstall a couple of programs to get Xp to
reconize.
Should have just reformated the HD and started fresh.

Do have another question.
When I open Windows Explorer, is there a way to set which folder it opens?
Instead of opening on the c: drive I'd rather have it open My Docs.

> In news:e%23ob%23kGlFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> L. <ofallon12320@yahoo1.com> had this to say:

>> Just upgraded a 98se to winxp.
>> ONE problem I'm having is getting Norton AV to work.
>> XP security screen states that I don't have an anti-virus program.
>> I've tried to uninstall and reinstall NAV but xp won't let me
>> uninstall. Something about desktop is "read only" and I can't figure
>> out how to change. I right clcik, unclick "read only" only to have it
>> recheck itself.
>> Not even sure where to start.
>
> Uninstall NAV and install a newer version from the site. If you don't want
> NAV any longer and would like something free look here:
>
> Malware Cleaning :
> http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> without them."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Yep.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307856
HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP

"L..." <ofallons12320@yahooie.com> wrote in message
> Got it, thanks.
> Seems I had to uninstall and reinstall a couple of programs to get Xp to reconize.
> Should have just reformated the HD and started fresh.
>
> Do have another question.
> When I open Windows Explorer, is there a way to set which folder it opens?
> Instead of opening on the c: drive I'd rather have it open My Docs.

Tried to follow instruction but missing something.
On one system when I click on WE icon My Docs opens on the newer one it
opens to C:\ drive.
I checked Properties on WE and the "target" is the same for both
systems.((( %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe)))).

What an I missing?

"TaurArian [MVP]" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yep.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307856
> HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=314853
> Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP
>

> "L..." <ofallons12320@yahooie.com> wrote in message
>> Got it, thanks.
>> Seems I had to uninstall and reinstall a couple of programs to get Xp to
>> reconize.
>> Should have just reformated the HD and started fresh.
>>
>> Do have another question.
>> When I open Windows Explorer, is there a way to set which folder it
>> opens?
>> Instead of opening on the c: drive I'd rather have it open My Docs.

You are correct: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe

"L." wrote:

> Tried to follow instruction but missing something.
> On one system when I click on WE icon My Docs opens on the newer one it
> opens to C:\ drive.
> I checked Properties on WE and the "target" is the same for both
> systems.((( %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe)))).
>
> What an I missing?
>

> "TaurArian [MVP]" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Yep.
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307856
> > HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=314853
> > Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP
> >

> > "L..." <ofallons12320@yahooie.com> wrote in message
> >> Got it, thanks.
> >> Seems I had to uninstall and reinstall a couple of programs to get Xp to
> >> reconize.
> >> Should have just reformated the HD and started fresh.
> >>
> >> Do have another question.
> >> When I open Windows Explorer, is there a way to set which folder it
> >> opens?
> >> Instead of opening on the c: drive I'd rather have it open My Docs.

Thing is, one system opens WE to My Docs while the other opens to
C:\.???????

"TaurArian [MVP]" <TaurArianMVP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You are correct: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
>

> "L." wrote:
>
>> Tried to follow instruction but missing something.
>> On one system when I click on WE icon My Docs opens on the newer one it
>> opens to C:\ drive.
>> I checked Properties on WE and the "target" is the same for both
>> systems.((( %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe)))).
>>
>> What an I missing?
>>

>> "TaurArian [MVP]" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Yep.
>> >
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307856
>> > HOW TO: Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=314853
>> > Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP
>> >

>> > "L..." <ofallons12320@yahooie.com> wrote in message

This may or may not work as a temporary work around -

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,c:\documents and settings\put the user name here\my
documents\

NB put your user name in where I've put "put the user name here"

"L." <ofallon12320@yahoo1.com> wrote in message

> Thing is, one system opens WE to My Docs while the other opens to C:\.???????
>

> "TaurArian [MVP]" <TaurArianMVP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> You are correct: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
>>

>> "L." wrote:
>>
>>> Tried to follow instruction but missing something.
>>> On one system when I click on WE icon My Docs opens on the newer one it
>>> opens to C:\ drive.
>>> I checked Properties on WE and the "target" is the same for both
>>> systems.((( %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe)))).
>>>
>>> What an I missing?
>>>

>>> "TaurArian [MVP]" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Before I try the temp workaround, is there a "reason" why they open to
different locations? And/or is thei\re a permanent fix?

Thanks,

L.

> This may or may not work as a temporary work around -
>
> %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,c:\documents and settings\put the user name
> here\my documents\
>
> NB put your user name in where I've put "put the user name here"
>

> "L." <ofallon12320@yahoo1.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Thing is, one system opens WE to My Docs while the other opens to
>> C:\.???????
>>

>> "TaurArian [MVP]" <TaurArianMVP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:1F503C45-0ECC-4F59-A437-9683342D78EB@microsoft.com...
>>> You are correct: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe

The default location is "My documents". Don't know why it's not working on your
computer. I searched for awhile but couldn't find any information regarding this
problem unfortunately.

Create a new Windows Explorer shortcut and use the line I suggested. If you don't
like it, simply delete it. Make sure you put your user name in as shown in documents
and settings.

Kaylene

> Before I try the temp workaround, is there a "reason" why they open to different
> locations? And/or is thei\re a permanent fix?
>
> Thanks,
>
> L.
>

> "TaurArian [MVP]" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> This may or may not work as a temporary work around -
>>
>> %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,c:\documents and settings\put the user name here\my
>> documents\
>>
>> NB put your user name in where I've put "put the user name here"

Got it.
Deleted the shortcut icon in taskbar and reinserted.
Keep forgetting I upgraded to instead of installing from scratch.
Several "items/programs/links,etc." had to be reinstalled. Not as easy as
the xp booklets suggest.

Thanks,

L.

> The default location is "My documents". Don't know why it's not working on
> your computer. I searched for awhile but couldn't find any information
> regarding this problem unfortunately.
>
> Create a new Windows Explorer shortcut and use the line I suggested. If
> you don't like it, simply delete it. Make sure you put your user name in
> as shown in documents and settings.
>
> Kaylene
>
> "L." <ofallon12320@yahoo1.com> wrote in message
>> Before I try the temp workaround, is there a "reason" why they open to
>> different locations? And/or is thei\re a permanent fix?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> L.
>>

>> "TaurArian [MVP]" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> This may or may not work as a temporary work around -
>>>
>>> %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,c:\documents and settings\put the user name
>>> here\my documents\
>>>
>>> NB put your user name in where I've put "put the user name here"

TRENDING THREADS